Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Looking at going for a full system on my Gen 4.

was just wondering do i NEED a remap after? if i dont, will it hurt the bike, loose power, run poorly?

There is a place local to me with dyno and tune facilities, but what should i expect from a full system with tune?

any help and advice would be brilliant

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
It all depends on what system you purchase.

I put an IXIL SX1 on my 2016 with no tune, ecu or map & I only found a better sounding bike with more power.

It cost $745.

It took so much weight off the bike, cleaned all the lines up, nowhere you can burn yourself & its the best sounding bike on the market.

You do have to spend $65 on a Servo-buddy that acts to delete any fault codes.

But I wasn't able to use the 143 horsepower it had, few are. Then you are tied to a Tuner & the extra expense for power improvements at the top of the range.

Or if you are fanatical about your bike you can invest 25-35% or more on your original investment to enjoy the extra improvements in horsepower & delivery but at the same time, you need a Bulletproof License because that is where the improvements are.

If you had an older Gen 3 it might be wise.

Or if you race on a track.

I know Comfysofa of whom I consider an expert here has thrown that kind of money at his 2010 to the point of getting the bike dynoed more often than getting his hair cut...

20200220_140910_resized_1.jpg
20200310_105254.jpg
20200523_174640.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you have that on and no map or anything ? Interesting... how does the bike feel/ride?

is it loud? Thats one thing that concerns me

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi guys

Looking at going for a full system on my Gen 4.

was just wondering do i NEED a remap after? if i dont, will it hurt the bike, loose power, run poorly?

There is a place local to me with dyno and tune facilities, but what should i expect from a full system with tune?

any help and advice would be brilliant
no, nothing will happen to the bike if you run a full system without a tune, you will merely leave a few horse power on the table and not see the full benefits of the system other than crazy loud sound.

Here in the US, a dyno and tune session costs around $600 USD, which I think is way too much, so I just run a power commander with the base Akrapovics full system map. If I was to dyno tune it I could probably extract another 2-3 horses from the bike, but to me that's not worth the money, I'd much rather spend that on suspension because the stock bike is lacking it there the most.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the crazy loud part is not what im after 😬

with a power Commander, does it come with maps already loaded on to it? Or do you have to load them on?

what system do you have?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah the crazy loud part is not what im after

with a power Commander, does it come with maps already loaded on to it? Or do you have to load them on?

what system do you have?
An out of the box powercommander doesnt have any maps loaded. You can download maps of the internet load them in to your powercommander, or use the powercommandef auto tune. Which will make and adjust a mapping along the way.
Or have it mapped on a dyno

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An out of the box powercommander doesnt have any maps loaded. You can download maps of the internet load them in to your powercommander, or use the powercommandef auto tune. Which will make and adjust a mapping along the way.
Or have it mapped on a dyno

how did the bike feel once you put the power Commander on?
could you notice the changes?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Milton Keynes you?
Bristol - my guy is about 15 mins from my house....no power commander - ecu flash....you wont get the functionality from a power commander that you will from an ecu flash...flashing the ecu gives up other goodies also like injector cut in time, flapper valve delete, and increased redline to name a few (ie mine was still making power at the redline so it was upped by 500rpm) - a power commander cant do any of that....if you fancy the ride come down here....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much does a tunes cost?
Looking at the black widow headers, look very well made

·
Registered
969 Posts
The only thing you have to do is sort out your air intake and exhaust system first....if you change it youll have (well, you dont have to) but its advisable to get it remapped...

·
Registered
969 Posts
How much does a tunes cost?
Looking at the black widow headers, look very well made
Check the measurement of the bore first....lextechs for example per header pipe are 2mm smaller than my arrows....10mm across the board - thats a lot of bore....plus the arrows can be bought in individual parts (if you damage anything)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, i sent my ecu to the usa, to have it flashed( Ivan's flash). Whrn i got back, the was snappier, more responsive. Then i had it fine tuned on the power commander for the dutch climate. After the tune it made morr power, you could defenatly feel it. It performs alot bettrr now in the lower rpm range. And thr overal power curve is smoother.

But again, thats the way i did it and how i wanted do my Z. It was the expensive way

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd adivse anyone else to do it like Comfysofa did. Thrre are enough tuners that can and will do the same as Ivan, maybe even better these days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts