Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
this bit right here, the fact that you can see threads and a lock nut, means you have an adjustable length shock, which is a good thing. It is not how you adjust your sag (that's done by the turny knob on your passenger footrest bracket), but rather how you can increase/decrease the rear ride height of your bike, largely independent of sag.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’m not sure that works like that exactly. That’s probably a somewhat universal end part that they reuse from shock to shock build. Those nuts would appear to hold the bottom half of the spring in location. Would have to see the engineering drawing or take it apart to really know for sure if it works like that or not. Nitron did offer an option to make the shock longer then stock though. Don’t know how they achieve that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I’m not sure that works like that exactly. That’s probably a somewhat universal end part that they reuse from shock to shock build. Those nuts would appear to hold the bottom half of the spring in location. Would have to see the engineering drawing or take it apart to really know for sure if it works like that or not. Nitron did offer an option to make the shock longer then stock though. Don’t know how they achieve that.
the lock nut is a height adjuster. It's an available option from all performance oriented motorcycle shock manufacturers. Ride height is something you tune for, to change the bike's geometry and gain performance at the track. It's not necessarily there just for assembly purposes.

As you can see the clip below, my shock doesn't have it because I then opted out of it because it was something like $50 extra, see second clip where it is shown as an available option.

Same goes for Nitron, they do make then without the height adjustment luck nuts, see below.

Regardless, if you didn't pay for it then you got it as a free bonus!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
no, you’re right it does have it. another knob to turn 😱. kewl, thanks brother. now, should i turn it......hmmm?? Don’t know if I would really think of it as a ride height adjuster first though, 7 mm doesn’t seem like much adjustment, but if your counting 1/10 sec off lap times maybe it’s huge. it’s probably just a result of using a threaded clevis that allows for more part/bike application reuse ability in their product line. added benefit of 7 mm of extra adjustments if desired in my application. guess i should shut up now and be grateful 🤔.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts