Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this forum even though I've had the bike for 8 years. Lime green as all Kawasaki's should be馃榿. Im looking to spruce her up a bit and one job will be to swap the rear shock. Looking at either Hagon or Hyperpro as a start point. There is an ohlins shock on eBay that fits a 2007-2009 z1000 but not sure if that will fit my bike though. Other option in the back is get the standard shock rebuilt. Any thoughts or advice on to hear choices. I'm about 200 lb kitted up and no likely to be dragging my knees on the floor, just want something sensible that's not going to cost the earth. I'll be getting the forks rebuilt over winter to compliment the back end. Thanks in advance

Registered
i bought a nitron R1 with hydraulic preload adjuster last year. there are a couple options for your bike. if i was to do it again, i would probably buy the R2. remote resivoir shocks do a better job of damping due to the increased volume of a separate canister. kewl thing with Nitron is you can upgrade an R1 to a R2 shock for a few bucks down the road if you choose. the hydraulic preload adjuster is bad a$$. can easily adjust the ride quality for road conditions, 2 up riding and gear. nitron is just one option though, there are a lot of good brands out there. just make sure whoever you go with has good service because aftermarket shocks require oil changes, oil seal replacements and overall rebuilds from time to time. guess i would consider them somewhat high maintenance.

Registered
The shocks for the gen1 and gen2 Z1000 are interchangeable. Also the shocks for the 05-06 ZX6r and I believe the the 07-08 will swap right over (not 100% sure on the 07-08 one though). So any aftermarket shock that will fit those models will work, just make sure that the spring rates are correct for your ride

Registered
If you are looking a cheap solution,a lot of the UK gen1 owners put in a shock from the first gen (04-05) ZX10R. They are a stiff item,so might suit carrying 200 lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts