Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah I thought it was bs. What benefit does braided lines give? I thought they just had a longer life span than stock?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Lines do not expand under braking so you get better braking with less effort and less pressure plus you get better brake feel.

Also less brake fade. But I does come down to the pads also the two together will = better braking performance

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've upgraded brake pads on a Kawasaki abs bike. Its well worth doing. You'll get the same benefit everyone else does with good pads, plus have the abs there to prevent lock-up.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
I realised that with the dp hh+ brake pads that for them to work really good they need to have at least 30 min of heat in them and they really start to have some night in them

On another note I took a mates fz1 Yamaha for a spin and I reached for the from brakes and damn they were crap they felt so woody had no confidence or feel in them whats so ever. (He had braided lines on it). Advised him that he needs to changed the pads on the bike.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Brake pads are rated by a two letter friction rating such as "GG" or "HH" or "FF" There are a bunch of other letter ratings as well, but I'm havign a hard time finding the full list. HH is the strongest and GG is more to the weaker end of the scale.

If you take the pads off of the front, or rear of our Ninja 1000/z 1000 you'll see the front is rates "fg" or somehting close, but the rears are "FF". Dont quote me on these exact letters. Lets just say the stock pads are WEAK! The rears are WAY down the friction list so they dont do much until you put your entire leg into it. "HH" is about as high as friction rates go, so they will lock up, or give braking performance, with much less pressure.

To keep it simple, we have really good braking parts, just lousy pads. I'v enever been a fan of full"HH" rated brakes out back as they tend to lock up easily. A set of Galfer organic "GG" pads works well on our bikes and will offer more feel and power, yet they offer good feel up to the lock-up point.

Up front I went with a set of DP "HH+" pads and they are amazing. Great feel, they run fairly quiet, and deliver at least twice the braking power of our stock pads.

You dont need lines, calipers, or master cylinders. Just good pads. I've used over 30 different types of pads between my street bikes and dirt bikes. I've never used anything as good as that dp"HH+" pad.

The front pads you want are DP Brakes Sport HH+ SuperSport Brake Pads SDP947HH

The rear Galfer pad is GLFBPK35 figure 30.00 or so for those. I found them on ebay and paid 7.00 for the set. These pads fit a lot of different sport bikes, so you can find a bargain. They also polish up the rear rotor to almost a mirror like finish. No biggie, but it looks cool.

Good luck with this. You have no idea how much of a difference this will make. However, going to ss lines with these stock pads in place is a waste of time, effort and money.

These pads are my opinion, so you might like somethign else. However, the front DP pads are far better than anything else. I've also never been an EBC pad fan, so dont be afraid to mail order to get the front pads. They are not even that expensive.
anyone use DP pads for the rear? curious how well they work compared to the stock pads on a gen 4.

·
Registered
439 Posts
lol…

well there is already some good discussion on pads. thought it might be better to keep it going vs starting a new post. do you know anything about dp pads? i’ve never heard of them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
the crap rear brake performance is not due to pads. Its due to incorrect leverage ratio and mismatch between master cylinder and caliper piston diameter. You either need to get rearsets that allow for adjustable brake eyelet position to get a different leverage ratio, or get a new smaller diameter master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Dp pads are very good, but.....they are noisy. I mean, noisy. Fingernail on chalkboard like, mixed with electronic sounds. Its annoyingly loud.

The best pad I found for the rear was rhe Vesrah. The bad 434 jl.

The master cylinder to caliper ratio isnt very good. In fact, if you do any research on it, the ratio is wrong.

With that in mind, trying to fix the issue with brake pads is like trying to fix a suspension issue with tires. Sure, some specific tire might ride or handle better, but it isnt really fixing the issue.

This is the best pad I found. It helps. The "hh" rated pads were not very good. They offered nothing....nothing..nothing...lock up.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts