Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I for one will be ordering new pads. Took my 2013/thai model out on sunday and trying to stop at 200kph is a f&@kin joke :(. This would never fly in the usa but here in thailand its up to me :(. I am sure this will be my biggest upgrade on this bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Umm. Were you trying to come down from 200kph/125mph on only the rear brake?

No not at all. The bike in front was slowing down and i was approaching him quickly. The front brakes are mediocre at best so it would be nice to have some rear power to assist. Honestly it may just be this regional model. If all it needs are better pads i can live with that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
just make sure you replace them with HH and I'm sure all will be fine, I can go out on some rides and barely touch the brakes (front or rear) all day, I think they call it anticipation !! but thats just because I'm the greatest rider that has ever lived and because of this I wear my underpants on top of my trousers.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
No not at all. The bike in front was slowing down and i was approaching him quickly. The front brakes are mediocre at best so it would be nice to have some rear power to assist. Honestly it may just be this regional model. If all it needs are better pads i can live with that.

The front has the same issue as the rear. Weak pads. If you replace them with somethign good, the front brakes are excellent. I went with the Dunlopad HH+ but I'll be you would have a hard time finding something as weak as what the bike comes with.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice paul! But guys just changing the fluid front and back made a huge difference for me.
I try it before i threw new pads in. I will deffinatley go HH when i need ro repqlace pads but for now the bike is performing perfectly.
Have been playing with carbon fiber pads on my sv they have seemed to be peforming well smooth engagment zero noise and next to no dust.
Anybody else runnin the carbon fiber pads? Comments please.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Thinking about it I may not be able to comment on stock brake fluid as I had replacement braided lines put on mine front and rear so I dont have the stock brake fluid! I therefore retract all previous statements apart from the one where I claim to be a super hero

·
Registered
204 Posts
Installed my new dp front and rear pads 3rd gen z1k. The oem to my surprise were HH tokico brand. The oem rear were EF toyo brand. The dp fronts are HH and rear are GG. The install is simple and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

This upgrade is well worth the money and imho a must do. I took a short ride under 30kph and can now easily stop the bike with the rear brake. I can lock the rear wheel with enough pressue on the pedal. Previously the rear brake was about useless.

The oem front brakes were just ok after 2000 kilometers. They worked but i had no confidence in them. Even though the oems and dp are HH there is no comparison. I didnt have to go one block to appreciate the superiority of the dp. The dp which are not bedded can easily outperform the already bedded oems.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Installed my new dp front and rear pads 3rd gen z1k. The oem to my surprise were HH tokico brand. The oem rear were EF toyo brand. The dp fronts are HH and rear are GG. The install is simple and takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.

This upgrade is well worth the money and imho a must do. I took a short ride under 30kph and can now easily stop the bike with the rear brake. I can lock the rear wheel with enough pressue on the pedal. Previously the rear brake was about useless.

The oem front brakes were just ok after 2000 kilometers. They worked but i had no confidence in them. Even though the oems and dp are HH there is no comparison. I didnt have to go one block to appreciate the superiority of the dp. The dp which are not bedded can easily outperform the already bedded oems.
I concur on the brake pads i have purchased and installed the rear pafs only the front ones i have not changed I will wait a touch longer. The reason is I got better feel with braking when I re valves and resprung the front forks.
Will put new front brakes though mid march

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Brake pads are rated by a two letter friction rating such as "GG" or "HH" or "FF" There are a bunch of other letter ratings as well, but I'm havign a hard time finding the full list. HH is the strongest and GG is more to the weaker end of the scale.

If you take the pads off of the front, or rear of our Ninja 1000/z 1000 you'll see the front is rates "fg" or somehting close, but the rears are "FF". Dont quote me on these exact letters. Lets just say the stock pads are WEAK! The rears are WAY down the friction list so they dont do much until you put your entire leg into it. "HH" is about as high as friction rates go, so they will lock up, or give braking performance, with much less pressure.

To keep it simple, we have really good braking parts, just lousy pads. I'v enever been a fan of full"HH" rated brakes out back as they tend to lock up easily. A set of Galfer organic "GG" pads works well on our bikes and will offer more feel and power, yet they offer good feel up to the lock-up point.

Up front I went with a set of DP "HH+" pads and they are amazing. Great feel, they run fairly quiet, and deliver at least twice the braking power of our stock pads.

You dont need lines, calipers, or master cylinders. Just good pads. I've used over 30 different types of pads between my street bikes and dirt bikes. I've never used anything as good as that dp"HH+" pad.

The front pads you want are DP Brakes Sport HH+ SuperSport Brake Pads SDP947HH

The rear Galfer pad is GLFBPK35 figure 30.00 or so for those. I found them on ebay and paid 7.00 for the set. These pads fit a lot of different sport bikes, so you can find a bargain. They also polish up the rear rotor to almost a mirror like finish. No biggie, but it looks cool.

Good luck with this. You have no idea how much of a difference this will make. However, going to ss lines with these stock pads in place is a waste of time, effort and money.

These pads are my opinion, so you might like somethign else. However, the front DP pads are far better than anything else. I've also never been an EBC pad fan, so dont be afraid to mail order to get the front pads. They are not even that expensive.
epic post. :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I concur on the brake pads i have purchased and installed the rear pafs only the front ones i have not changed I will wait a touch longer. The reason is I got better feel with braking when I re valves and resprung the front forks.
Will put new front brakes though mid march

If you think the back improved you will be shocked when you do the front. I didnt realise how inadequate the fronts were until i changed them.

I wonder what kawasakis thinking is with the oem pads. It cant cost them that much to upgrade?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just picked mine up today. 2012 Ninja brand new.

Like others said: rear is pityful. Didn't want to overdo it with new everything and not bedded at all but thought a good clean my be a start. Looks like pads all round coming up, Could be worse.
I use the rear heaps. Not for stopping but for turn in / in traffic when slow and generally aiding the chassis. Couldn't live with what they are like at the moment.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just picked mine up today. 2012 Ninja brand new.

Like others said: rear is pityful. Didn't want to overdo it with new everything and not bedded at all but thought a good clean my be a start. Looks like pads all round coming up, Could be worse.
I use the rear heaps. Not for stopping but for turn in / in traffic when slow and generally aiding the chassis. Couldn't live with what they are like at the moment.
Braided lines and brake pads would do the trick.
Would wait for first service and probably get brake pedal adjusted it may change the way it feels not to say not to change the pads and lines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I struggle with thinking about going anywhere for a service to be honest. Haven't had a bike at the shop ever pretty much unless you count pay for pulling the stator on a derby in spain to get a new cap installed about 1988 or so. Else....tire changes and then I take the rim. Will have to obey to serve the gods of warranty for some time which will be novel.
Plus it's my first efi / abs bike which may have a bit of a learning curve / software / interfaces, cables & stuff I have to work out. Looking forward to working it out but yes a shop may feature here and then. Hadn't really thought about this until then. Used to syncing / pulling a bank of carbs etc etc until 3 weeks ago. Or today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Now this is probably a stupid question, I have the 2012 abs model, I've been told (by a not so reliable source) that it's pretty pointless upgrading the pads on an abs model.... Thoughts?

My back brake is pretty much useless, the front seemed decent to me until I rode a friends duc street fighter on the weekend...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Now this is probably a stupid question, I have the 2012 abs model, I've been told (by a not so reliable source) that it's pretty pointless upgrading the pads on an abs model.... Thoughts?

My back brake is pretty much useless, the front seemed decent to me until I rode a friends duc street fighter on the weekend...

Who ever told you that is smoking crack.
Pads and braided lines will do the trick I have both and a lot better

·
Registered
45 Posts
What pads did you go for ggharb?

I'm heading to eastern creek on tuesday so will probably need a new set after that. Love giving myself excuses for upgrades

·
Registered
204 Posts

h
You will be amazed at the front brake performance with new dp pads.

·
Registered
744 Posts
What pads did you go for ggharb?

I'm heading to eastern creek on tuesday so will probably need a new set after that. Love giving myself excuses for upgrades
I bought front and back dp brakes.
Go to dp website mike and punch the z1000 details into there web site and that will give you the replacement parts.
But there are other brands out there. I bought mine on line I saved a bucket load

21 - 40 of 52 Posts