Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Z1000R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a show about motorcycles, and one of the characters pointed out that motorcycles can be modified in 3 ways. Note that it's meant to be funny, not exact science.

Tuning: Makes the bike ride better

Customization: Makes the bike harder to ride, you make it so only you is able to ride it, so you can brag about it.

Occult: You know those shady parts on eBay that claims to enhance bike performance but sounds too good to be true? Like a 20$ chip that saves gaz at no cost to performance or whatever. Those are like placebos, they can make the rider feel different without altering the motorcycle. I had one on my first car.

So I'm curious about the customization kind. I'm thinking about stuff like racing shift sequence, weird handlebars, seats, weird throttle responses, start up sequences, whatever. Have you made a mod on your bike that would confuse someone else who would try your bike?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I do, but it needs an explanation.

Ivans reflash makes this bike reapond so clean, and so nice that I realized the flywheel was a lot heavier than it needed to be.

Flywheels dont change the power output. That stays the same. What changes is how quickly you can access this power.

The bike feels more like a two stroke dirt bike, now. Although it is harder to ride, it handles better and the bike feels like it lost 40 lbs. I like it, but if you put a new person on the bike they would cry.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I do, but it needs an explanation.

Ivans reflash makes this bike reapond so clean, and so nice that I realized the flywheel was a lot heavier than it needed to be.

Flywheels dont change the power output. That stays the same. What changes is how quickly you can access this power.

The bike feels more like a two stroke dirt bike, now. Although it is harder to ride, it handles better and the bike feels like it lost 40 lbs. I like it, but if you put a new person on the bike they would cry.
Did you drill/machine the flywheel to reduce weight and was it trial and error with regard to how much/how little weight to remove?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I didn't know what to do.

We turned it in a lathe and cut 1mm worth of metal from the surface.....so, it's now 2mm smaller diameter.

That was about a 5 oz loss. I would have liked to try more/less but the flywheels are expensive. Even used ones. Still I'm happy and it made a huge handling difference, as strange as that sounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts