Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I know lots of ppl do these type of mods and have success doing them but there is something to be said about leaving it a 'worry free' stock machine with no monkeying around. Especially in the tuning. Unless you spend the time researching and money to properly tune it once you've decided on your mods. Finding a guy to do it right may be a bit of a challenge too.

Dunno sir, but as I read your posts, you're all about leaving it stock, which I admire btw!
My :2cents: is that you leave it alone and just ride the thing and enjoy it. You barely have 500mi on er! Have you even romped on the throttle yet? I didn't until around 800mi. She comes alive at 10G's. Very fun and addictive.
I too like all the power mod ideas but will be more than happy/content to wait a long time before doing any.

peath out :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
edit: I thought I romped on the throttle until the other day when I was following my buddy on his FZ1. He dropped the hammer from a stop and of course I had to follow suit. Being competitive in nature I gave er all she had which was more than I had asked from her at any other time. I couldn't let the Fizzy get away :D

btw the front tire would not stay on the ground :D :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Wait til I hit 1000 miles and have cracked er open, then reassessing if I want the header and K & N, that does sound the most reasonable.
It does sound kinda foolish to say *I want more out of it*, when I've yet to even tap what it has. LOL Good point.

But I think many buy these bikes for the thrill of the obviously very impressive power (used or not), and the fun of doing various changes to get the most out of it while staying within the look you like (very important, to me).

I am obviously all about the stock look. But don't care for the hideous header hanging under there, and I also have always wanted the beast to have a somewhat deeper, louder sound. And obviously whatever power increase may or maynot come from these changes will be great, as well. Maybe not even using the extra power very often, but the fun and ejoyment of telling people at the gas station who look at it that It looks stock, but I've got a header, K & N high flow, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc.........

Good input guys, thanks. I enjoy the help, and reading and considering the insight of others.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
ahhh the ole 'sleeper' bike! I hear that! Good luck my friend. You are right, these are fun to mod. I think I'll add a gear indicator, HID's?halo eyes and maybe ceramic coat the header and cat box in the winter.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
ahhh the ole 'sleeper' bike! I hear that! Good luck my friend. You are right, these are fun to mod. I think I'll add a gear indicator, HID's?halo eyes and maybe ceramic coat the header and cat box in the winter.
Ride safe.
Sounds nice, especially the ceramic coating.

I was also considering a gear indicator, as long as it looks like it flows with the panel and don't look like a sore thumb sticking out there. I think it'd be usefull, cause alot of times, I try to upshift and am already in sixth. I lose track more often than not.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
yup me too. Always looking for the 7th gear. :lol:
I've seen them mounted below the windscreen just behind the instrument cluster. My Zero Gravity screen uses two small spacers (for the top screws) to give it little lift from the cluster which creates xtra space to mount and view the gear indicator.

Using the spacers provided from the ZG screen, I went back to the stock screen and it works just fine leaving plenty of space for the GI.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I know lots of ppl do these type of mods and have success doing them but there is something to be said about leaving it a 'worry free' stock machine with no monkeying around.

Dunno sir, but as I read your posts, you're all about leaving it stock, which I admire btw!
My :2cents: is that you leave it alone and just ride the thing and enjoy it. You barely have 500mi on er!

I too like all the power mod ideas but will be more than happy/content to wait a long time before doing any.
Decided to wait on any mods. Good advice.

I still would like to get the header, air filter and PC V down the road, and see how much of an improvement it is. But I gotta first feel the full stock force, FIRST, to even know how much of a gain the mods bring.

But I know mods are addictive. After I get those, then what? A LITTLE MORE, AND MORE! Where will it stop? LOL

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
well after you max the bike out power wise its only natural to get a more powerful bike as your craving deepens..haha! or put a supercharger on it :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not been on for a while (Hi Koggs!).. to the OP. For me, ive done pretty well all the mods mentioned on here and more (if you want to feel acceleration...fit a QS) how much fun are those?!...I would say, these days, those of us that are keeper owners (people that keep their bikes for a good length of time) - into my 5th year of ownership, then, if you do keep it and invest in a wide range of mods to benefit all areas of the bike then youll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Id agree with all the others....at its bare minimum a full system (ive got an arrow header set [single exit] and an akra tail from my rsv4). Id rather have the K&N then i can wash it out rather than buy another filter. Definately if you can get a custom mapping - the power increase is great but itll make it more "driveable" and much more "controlable" on the throttle. With all the stuff ive done to mine its made a great bike even better. Mines making about 146 at the wheel. Ive got an rsv4, and old hypermotard 1100 evo sp and an even older 525 supermoto but the zed is the most used out of all of them by a long way...

·
Registered
1 Posts
They both treat the metal in a engine not the oil. They help to reduce heat and friction. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that less heat,less friction equals more power.
Very true.
Unless your bike is a 4 stroke with a manual gearbox.
4 stroke bikes usually suffer from friction reducing additives.
Well, that's quite a generalisation.
Engine power wise, yeah, good improvements.
Real world applications, friction reduction is really annoying.
Clutch manufacturers spend a fortune developing packs with just the right properties and when someone comes along and says "reduce friction" clutch makers have mixed emotions.
On one hand, they will sell more, if they convince you that there is no warranty claim.
On the other, a slipping clutch after 2 days doesn't look good.

Choose your oil additives wisely.

Rant over.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts