Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the changes you can do to a stock bike to get a bit more output?

I heard from the guy who sold me the bike that a slightly richer mapping would benefit a pure stock bike.

Opinions?

Also, what are some other alterations you can do to get the most out of a stock machine?

I read some of you were *disabling your secondaries*

What does that mean? (excuse my ignorance)

Also, do other things, like an air filter change alter the output?

But I want to keep it stock, but when I take it in for my first dealer paid for oil change, I may let them remap it, and I may do some other minor things if it'll increase the power. (even though the power is amazing, as it is)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Best power gains are a full exhaust system (expensive - $1,000+), a race air filter ($50-$100), and then new custom fuel mapping (would need a power commander v $250-$300).

Those would be the most common and easiest upgrades with most increase in performance. Next, you'd be getting into much more mechanical and expensive upgrades (engine mods and so forth).

Good luck with the mods and ride safe! The z surely is a beast!
Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
584 Posts
Best power gains are a full exhaust system (expensive - $1,000+), a race air filter ($50-$100), and then new custom fuel mapping (would need a power commander v $250-$300).

Those would be the most common and easiest upgrades with most increase in performance. Next, you'd be getting into much more mechanical and expensive upgrades (engine mods and so forth).

It's cheaper to buy a bigger bike :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It's cheaper to buy a bigger bike :D
Haha, this is true! I have an R1, and its a fast machine, but I definitely prefer the z!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
but when I take it in for my first dealer paid for oil change, I may let them remap it, and I may do some other minor things if it'll increase the power.
they wont remap it, well they will but you have to buy a power commander or bazzaz fuel controller, ruffly $300 for either one . then thats how you remap it. but its fairly easy to do yourself.. and either one of those comes with a base map for a slip on and filter. for further mods like full exhaust and modding the airbox or removing the secondaries.. then you need a dyno tune or a auto tuner to make a perfect map for the mods. as far as its cheaper to buy a bigger bike, not really. shop around. i will tell you full exhaust/secondaries removed/filter and a new map.. its a different bike!

·
Registered
779 Posts
A common misconception is that a "High Flow" filter actually gives you any power at all.

It doesn't.

A full exhaust system, PC and custom map will net you decent results, but don't expect any more than 10-15HP. The biggest gains are really smoothing out the throttle and power curve. It'll feel nicer and not quite as choppy from trailing throttle.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

Good luck with the mods and ride safe! The z surely is a beast!
I got my k&n off amazon for 36$ shipped.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
what year is your bike zman? i put a +4 degree ignition advancer rotor on my bike. it was $106. shipped. made a very noticeable increase in power. only draw back is u have to run 93 or higher octane. alot of people have put a zx9 flywheel on their bikes. i bought a stock z1000 flywheel off ebay for $62. shipped. first had 4.25 mm machined off of it. then took it back & had another .75 mm machined off for a total of 5 mm off of the outside diameter of the flywheel. it cost $70. for the machine work. it is by far the best mod i have done to my bike, performance wise. it feels like my bike has another 15 or 20 hp. i know it actually didnt gain any hp but omg it accelerates sooo much faster now. it seems like a totally different bike now. i would recommend anybody with a first or second gen. z either getting their flywheel machined down or getting a zx9 flywheel. im not sure how thick the flywheels on the 3rd gens are.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
A full exhaust system, PC and custom map will net you decent results, but don't expect any more than 10-15HP.
full exhaust is usually right on the upper end of 15 alone, then filter , map , removing secondaries and modding the airbox gives another 3-5hp on top of that.. i see ivans is now doing the powercommander ignition module and tune which is a add on to the pcv, which is adding another 4-5hp on top of that even. so if you do every mod ivans recommend you will be pushing close to 25hp over stock..

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Htech, you need to get your bike dyno'ed..... I would love to know what it is putting down.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i know clint. dont have the extra $300. to throw down right now. would like to find a dyno that posts good numbers lol. will be pissed if its like 119 or something.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On a stock bike you can run some petron formula 7 oil additive. Brocks sells it, its dyno proven for a few ponies. I did not believe it until I seen the power he made on a z from a diff weight oil and the additive he gained around six HP from those two alone,yes from just those two. Check out the video it on here under the brocks exhaust thread. He is an amazing tuner and knows how to get power out of bikes. The additive is thirty bucks,I like horsepower in a bottle by xr-1. They both treat the metal in a engine not the oil. They help to reduce heat and friction. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that less heat,less friction equals more power.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
A common misconception is that a "High Flow" filter actually gives you any power at all.

It doesn't.

A full exhaust system, PC and custom map will net you decent results, but don't expect any more than 10-15HP. The biggest gains are really smoothing out the throttle and power curve. It'll feel nicer and not quite as choppy from trailing throttle.
I agree, Ivan said one @ red line. To me I would rather change my stock filter every 9,000 miles :2cents:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
On a stock bike you can run some petron formula 7 oil additive. Brocks sells it, its dyno proven for a few ponies. I did not believe it until I seen the power he made on a z from a diff weight oil and the additive he gained around six HP from those two alone,yes from just those two. Check out the video it on here under the brocks exhaust thread. He is an amazing tuner and knows how to get power out of bikes. The additive is thirty bucks,I like horsepower in a bottle by xr-1. They both treat the metal in a engine not the oil. They help to reduce heat and friction. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that less heat,less friction equals more power.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

but i think i read the main power adder in that combo is running 0w oil, the additive is there to help protect the motor supposedly from running the thinner weight oil.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i know clint. dont have the extra $300. to throw down right now. would like to find a dyno that posts good numbers lol. will be pissed if its like 119 or something.
They'll just do a horsepower run for like 100$ or less. No a/f pull but it'll tell you what's up. I was disappointed with 116 but the map I'm running isn't working up top. So I'm not that bummed. I'm going to try something else this weekend for another tsr.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think I'll stay wtih the stock power.......at least for a while. 125-126 is enough to keep me smilin. And I've not even tapped all of that, yet.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts