Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I bought my 2003 z1000 yesterday and I am a fan. My last bike was totaled (05 sv650) and i felt it was time to try something new...the zed just seemed like the right choice. The bike came with a power commander, 636 forks, and a full ti akrapovic exhaust uninstalled. I plan on doing the front end swap soon but for now I would like to install the exhaust but hear the setup may not run well without the PC. At the moment the bike has stock exhaust, k&n filter, as well as the airbox mod.

The previous owner said that the first owner had the bike dyno tuned, but when it was in his ownership the power commander was "broken". I dont quite remember how he described it but i remember it was along the lines of having poor fuel delivery cruising on freeway but seemed fine under acceleration. What I do remember was that it sounded like the wrong map was installed.

So my question: is it possible to save the current map that is on the bike and install a stock/factory map? In theory it should behave the same way as not having the power commander installed correct? The goal is to get a feel for the current setup without full akra, install the pc with factory map and see if it is really broken or if it was just tuned improperly. Is a factory map the same as a Zero map?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
even the stock bike map will give it more fuel than stock. u can save the map on your laptop.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
factory map is not the zero map; these are two different maps

·
Registered
117 Posts
You want 227-001

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
even the stock bike map will give it more fuel than stock. u can save the map on your laptop.
So the "stock bike" map is not the same as the factory settings? Is it possible to get factory settings so I can establish some sort of baseline?

I think you mean 210-001
Thanks, looked on the PC website and that is the "stock bike" map, Should those numbers match those on the power commander?

in large numbers my power commander says "210-410". On the side of that it has 040201 written vertically...not quite sure what those numbers mean.

after a little reading it sounds like the symptoms are similar to this one found on gixxer forums
Power Commander Problems, 05 gsxr 750 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
the zero map would be stock bike settings. when u open the map file the numbers in each throttle position & rpm range are the differences from stock bike settings. the positive numbers are that percent richer than stock. the negative numbers are that percent leaner than stock

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the zero map would be stock bike settings. the numbers in each throttle position & rpm range are the differences from stock bike settings. the positive numbers are that percent richer than stock. the negative numbers are that percent leaner than stock
Got it, thanks! So it sounds like I want the zero map to see if there is anything wrong with my unit. Thanks for the fast response!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
no problem man. glad i could help. enjoy ur new bike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PC is on with zero map loaded...will report back tomorrow. I really have to figure out how to remove that tank without spilling gas, install shouldnt have been that hard

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You shouldn't lose more than a few drops removing the tank.... there is no petcock that will drain out, and for fuel to leave the tank it must be pumped by the fuel pump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You shouldn't lose more than a few drops removing the tank.... there is no petcock that will drain out, and for fuel to leave the tank it must be pumped by the fuel pump.
I pressed the two grey squares together, removed the black fuel line exposing the gold fitting. Gas started comming out so i guess that is normal. Since I have a california model, there are also two lines comming from the tank near the seat...a blue breather and a red line and gas came out of the red one as well.

I have the service manual and followed their instructions but I assumed that was for an empty tank. Once I saw gas out of both lines I stopped, guess I will give it another shot today

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
it should only be what is in the lines, and nothing more. I have removed the tank on mine numerous times. (although mine is not a cali model)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, Ive had this thing for a whole year.

Update: I have not installed my front end yet, but planning on doing it by the end of the month. I did install the Full akrapovic and PC3 on together and I see what the P/O was talking about. Sometimes while cruising and acceleration, it has a slight hesitation; somewhat of a dip in power. Feels like the ignition is cut for a brief second or bike is getting too much air and bogs. Sadly its random and I can not reproduce it. Ive tried different maps, but they all do the same thing. Not sure what is up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts