Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everybody,

I'm planning a very long trip on my '03 Z1000 and i've been doing a lot of research for it before i embark on such a journey.

I'm posting this just so that i can gather some advice and info that could potentially help me along the way and prepare me a little better for it.

I've taken this bike on several 6-8 hour long rides on the weekends and i've felt very comfortable during the ride and afterwards. No soreness, back pain, etc., so i'm confident that this should not be an issue.

The total ride will be approximately 4,400 miles long and will span over 19 days total, with an extra 5 days in my agenda to account for unexpected setbacks or to try to catch up in case i fall behind. I only have a couple of long rides of about 350 miles in a day, but the rest vary anywhere between 150 and 250 miles per day. Also keep in mind that there are several places where i will be stopping and spending a day or two without having to ride the bike.

According to most articles i've read all over the internet, this seems very feasible.

Here are some of the most important things i will be considering:

1. Lodging

I will not be camping anywhere, but rather staying in hotels and/or motels along the way.

2. Gear

Aside from all the basic gear i will be packing, i've chosen to take a rain suit with me, even though i will choose not to ride in the rain unless it is absolutely necessary.

3. Anti-Theft device and bike cover.

I already have a tracking device on the bike, but i've read that a motorcycle cover will further deter any potential thieves.

4. Motorcycle maintenance.

I plan on performing a full maintenance check on the bike a few weeks before heading out, including new rubber, oil, etc.

5. Map.

I plan on bringing a reliable map with me in the event that my smart phone does not work.

6. Tool Kit.

I will be bringing a very well put together but small tool kit to try to get myself out of a jam when disaster strikes.

7. Roadside assistance.

I plan on signing up for roadside assistance.

8. First aid kit.

I plan on bringing a basic first aid kit.

9. Dog tags.

I will be riding solo, so i've read that getting some dog tags made with some information about myself and an emergency contact is a good idea.

10. Spare key.

I've read several articles about bringing a spare key, so i will plan on doing so.

11. Hydration system.

I will be riding in the summer, and will be going through Arizona and Nevada at some point for a day or two in the schedule, therefore i plan on wearing a hydration system during those times.

I plan on packing very little. I've been told a backpack would make my life miserable, therefore i will be packing only a small tail bag that i will be strapping to the top of the passenger seat and that's it. An extra pair of jeans, some underwear, the small tool kit, basic toiletries, few layers of clothing, etc. Basically if i can get it elsewhere or at any of my stops, and it's not an emergency item/tool, then i'm not carrying it with me. I'm fine with doing laundry every few days or so.

These are basically some of the most critical things i've learned from reading what has felt like an infinity of articles about people who have done long trips on two wheels.

If you guys feel like i've missed something that i should be taking into consideration, then please by all means go ahead and post it for me to see on here and i would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

-j
Small tire repair kit with a couple plugs. No cell service, no roadside... could get you far enough for either.
Anti-Theft - bring a disc brake lock and slap that on the front at night. Someone would have to lift the bike to take it.
Otherwise, sounds like you are set

·
Registered
358 Posts
Small tire repair kit with a couple plugs. No cell service, no roadside... could get you far enough for either.
Anti-Theft - bring a disc brake lock and slap that on the front at night. Someone would have to lift the bike to take it.
Otherwise, sounds like you are set
He posted in 2016, think he already had his roadtrip by now

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yup! Good info ntl. (y)(y)(y) The plug kit I pack has a mini compressor -which turned out to be very convenient while on the road out in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Have a similar similar kit for roadtrips , the one time I needed it on my way to work, I didnt have it with me

·
Registered
207 Posts
That doesn’t sound like a bad deal. you are using that Leatherman like tool to clean the hole and push the plug in too? This is the cheapest one I could find that had pretty much everything in it except the pliers. I have a membership to AAA and if I ever have a breakdown they will tow up to 200 miles.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just a pair of foldable pliers to remove the debris in your tire. Can be hard to remove by hand some times.
The rest can be done with the kit you linked.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I use the Stop & Go kit with the mini compressor. Paid for itself on the first trip. Would now carry a backup CO2 -in case the comp decides to quit working. Solid kit so far tho.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts