Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When it comes to Ducati Streetfighter mirrors, you either love them or you hate ‘em. They are not for everybody.

I replaced my stock mirrors with ‘Koso Diamond’ mirrors that I bought off of Ebay and have ridden with them pretty much the whole time I’ve owned the bike which has been close to a year now. I liked them and thought the mirrors themselves went well with the lines of the bike (aside from the skinny little stalks) and surprisingly enough, they didn't even buzz quite as much as you’d think for some $12.99 Taiwanese Ebay mirrors. They do have some downsides to them, hence why I finally decided to pull the plug and switch them out for some different ones. One thing that I didn't like is that there was no inbetween adjustment wise, there was literally only one exact position which they both had be in so that I could see behind me clearly. If they were ever just a hair off, then I simply could not and as you could imagine if they ever got slightly bumped, it took a while to get them adjusted back again. Lot's of trial and error. The other pitfall about these mirrors is that they would always come loose at exactly 100 miles of riding even though the mounting hardware was already extremely snug, so I would be always pulling off after every hundred miles to, as bad as it sounds, reef down on them again. I had to keep an allen wrench ready to go in my pocket.

Anyway, I grew tired of dealing with that, and since I have always liked Ducati Streetfighter/Monster mirrors, I thought I’d finally try them out. You can buy reproduction lookalikes on Ebay, but I just didn’t want risk getting them only to find out they were cheap, buzzed and go through all that again, so I wanted to play it safe and get the real thing as usually OEM mirrors are of pretty good quality.

The Duc mirrors are normally mounted with 8mm screws, so the mounting holes in these needed to be opened up a bit for the Z's required larger 10mm screws to fit. FYI, these mirrors come with a right hand threaded screw as well as a left hand threaded 8mm screw. I had to order a couple of special allen head screws with a tall round head from Tacoma Screw so that they would fit in the cavity correctly without a ton and I mean a ton of extra trimming to get anything else to fit.

First initial impression after mounting them up.

After I got them both on and sat on the bike, the first thing that I noticed right away was the difference in size. They are quite a bit bigger than the Koso’s, but not in a bad way. They seem to look a lot bigger while sitting on the bike than they do while looking at the bike from the front.

After riding with them for a few miles, there is literally no comparison in rearward visibility. I can see sooo much more out of these than before it’s not even funny, and quite a bit more over the stock one’s as well. Just about zero buzzing too. Being that they are wider than the Diamond Mirrors, I can see directly behind the bike again again which is nice for when there are riders behind me and was one the things that I was really hoping for out of these mirrors. To me they are lot like seeing out of a car mirror, and they also adjust like an auto mirror as well meaning that they are fixed, so you simply push the mirror glass itself to adjust it.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of them mounted up. As I said before, you either love or hate 'em.

(P.S., click at the very top of the pics to bring them to their full size.)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey I say if you like them who cares what everybody else thinks its your baby.
P.S. I kinda like them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lol, yeah as I mentioned before, you either love them or you hate 'em. It's just one of those things.

To me, they provide great visibility and the looks don't bother me, so I think I'm going to keep them.

To each their own.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know what you mean, safety i believe is on top of everything, if you can see better with them than the bar ends. +1!! I hate you though , now you got me looking for other mirrors for mine, (i know exactly what you mean when im riding with friends, you cant really see them.). They dont really work that good.:headshake:
Once i find the new mirrors i'll send you the bill:p.
PS.I want your exhaust for my 07.:eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i lived with mirrors that every time i ran up the RPMs they would get out of adjustment. those duc mirrors look real nice. now that i am used to my cheepo bar end mirrors i will stay with them. the view behind me is better than other type mirrors. mounting them inside the bar end weights look better and still provide a clear view.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just too big for me. So I am on the HATE em side.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i like them but i prefer the cleaner front look of the zs with barend mirrors

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I bought them from an individual in Italy on a Ducati forum that had them new in the box who was going to use them as replacements for his bike, but never ended up doing so and ended up getting a pretty good deal on them.

I remember pricing them new from Ducati and they were well over $100 for the pair. My suggestion would be to scout the Duc forums and put some want ads out there looking for them as a lot of the time people will put them up for sale after they swap aftermarket ones on. This would be much cheaper than buying them new from Ducati and you should be able to find a good pair under $100. These mirrors are also shared on the current gen Monster, fyi.

To mount these, you will need size M10-1.25MM screws (this is the size that fits in the stock mirror stocks for the 1st gen) and the aluminum sleeves in the mounting points in the mirrors themselves have to be opened up for the larger size screws to fit through via a dremel. Other than that, they work and fit and great while providing a ton of visibility out the back.

There are reproductions on Ebay, however it's anybody's guess on the overall quality of them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...7923458QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducati-Black-Mirrors-Monster-1100-Streetfighter-09-10-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563973abdfQQitemZ370331069407QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
101 Posts
its just me but i have a bar end mirror for legality, and thats it i know whos behind me cause i just passed them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To be honest, and I'm sure you want honesty, those mirrors remind me of the stock mirrors. They stick up way too far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
beautiful flows so well with the bike
pretty sure I'm going to do this mod once I park the bike for the winter, lol when there's snow on the ground time to wrench!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like em too. They don't seem as tall at the stock mirrors on the 3rd gens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts