Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
without tires? a typical sportbike rear wheel should be around 12-15lbs without the rotor, sprocket and carrier. I saw on the German forums that the '14 Z wheels were around 30% lighter than the '10 wheels, but I cannot find the thread that listed the bare wheel numbers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, the ZH2 does have a bit more HP so perhaps they beefed them up. Whole dang bike is heavy so it doesn’t surprise me. Might be worth the price to lose 25 lbs of unsprung weight when the aftermarket catches up with the bike. That, plus the carbon can would put me under 500 yay :rolleyes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, the ZH2 does have a bit more HP so perhaps they beefed them up. Whole dang bike is heavy so it doesn’t surprise me. Might be worth the price to lose 25 lbs of unsprung weight when the aftermarket catches up with the bike. That, plus the carbon can would put me under 500 yay :rolleyes:
you gotta hit them weight targets! At 535 pounds, she a big gal! With a full system, lithium battery and possibly a pair of aftermarket wheels you would be under 500.

My goal with the Z1000 was to get it to be under the weight of a contemporary supersport (most are around 450lbs wet), and with all my current mods I'm already beyond that. The handling transformation is amazing. 37 pounds lost makes huge difference in even just the general feel of the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you gotta hit them weight targets! At 535 pounds, she a big gal! With a full system, lithium battery and possibly a pair of aftermarket wheels you would be under 500.

My goal with the Z1000 was to get it to be under the weight of a contemporary supersport (most are around 450lbs wet), and with all my current mods I'm already beyond that. The handling transformation is amazing. 37 pounds lost makes huge difference in even just the general feel of the bike.
Light weight and good suspension has always been my holy grail too. I'm way more interested in those two than chasing bhp. If I'm in a mood to catch on the Z,I just put a little fuel in the tank and even this simple thing changes the feel and makes the bike more fun.

Losing unsprung weight, is a beautiful thing and has a major impact,but I've always balked at putting a third of the value of my bike into wheels! I'd need a windfall. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You know one thing with aftermarket wheels it sounds like if you buy a set you really like you could make it work on your next bike and enjoy the benefit of ultralight wheels all the time regardless of what you ride in the future. Just keep transferring your aftermarket wheels to the next bike. Where did you find the most weight savings was it changing out the exhaust system? did you use a full titanium exhaust?

·
Registered
220 Posts
You know one thing with aftermarket wheels it sounds like if you buy a set you really like you could make it work on your next bike and enjoy the benefit of ultralight wheels all the time regardless of what you ride in the future. Just keep transferring your aftermarket wheels to the next bike. Where did you find the most weight savings was it changing out the exhaust system? did you use a full titanium exhaust?
the exhaust dropped 22 pounds. It's not titanium, I do not like the rainbow colors, nor is there one available in titanium for our bikes. Mine is the Akra stainless headers and the silencers are the Laser GP Inox (I think that means stainless in german). The lithium battery dropped another 7 pounds, and the handlebar another 2-3 lbs as the stock is insanely heavy for what it is. Also changed to a 3D forged chain, converted down to 520 size (as opposed to 525 stock) with an alloy rear sprockets, which dropped another 3 pounds. Though I didn't weigh these specifically, the following items were significantly lighter that stock; Brembo caliper, Brembo rotors front and rear, forged alu rearsets (less than half the weight of the stock). Also removed the complete Exup and PAIR system along with the stock tool-kit and the heavy ass EvoTech tail tidy the previous owner put on. Between the miscellaneous stuff and emissions system removal, I would assume another 8 pounds lost. Add back another 1-2 pounds for the power commander and frame sliders, it should work out to be about 40 pounds savings altogether.

Considering the official listed weight of a 2010 non ABS model 480lbs wet, that brings this bike down to around 440lbs wet, which is about 5 pounds less than a new non ABS Zx10r. I'm quite happy with that. Forged wheels should drop another 17 pounds off that, which would put this bike in similar weight as a modern 600.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts