Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
without tires? a typical sportbike rear wheel should be around 12-15lbs without the rotor, sprocket and carrier. I saw on the German forums that the '14 Z wheels were around 30% lighter than the '10 wheels, but I cannot find the thread that listed the bare wheel numbers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, the ZH2 does have a bit more HP so perhaps they beefed them up. Whole dang bike is heavy so it doesn’t surprise me. Might be worth the price to lose 25 lbs of unsprung weight when the aftermarket catches up with the bike. That, plus the carbon can would put me under 500 yay :rolleyes:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, the ZH2 does have a bit more HP so perhaps they beefed them up. Whole dang bike is heavy so it doesn’t surprise me. Might be worth the price to lose 25 lbs of unsprung weight when the aftermarket catches up with the bike. That, plus the carbon can would put me under 500 yay :rolleyes:
you gotta hit them weight targets! At 535 pounds, she a big gal! With a full system, lithium battery and possibly a pair of aftermarket wheels you would be under 500.

My goal with the Z1000 was to get it to be under the weight of a contemporary supersport (most are around 450lbs wet), and with all my current mods I'm already beyond that. The handling transformation is amazing. 37 pounds lost makes huge difference in even just the general feel of the bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
you gotta hit them weight targets! At 535 pounds, she a big gal! With a full system, lithium battery and possibly a pair of aftermarket wheels you would be under 500.

My goal with the Z1000 was to get it to be under the weight of a contemporary supersport (most are around 450lbs wet), and with all my current mods I'm already beyond that. The handling transformation is amazing. 37 pounds lost makes huge difference in even just the general feel of the bike.
Light weight and good suspension has always been my holy grail too. I'm way more interested in those two than chasing bhp. If I'm in a mood to catch on the Z,I just put a little fuel in the tank and even this simple thing changes the feel and makes the bike more fun.

Losing unsprung weight, is a beautiful thing and has a major impact,but I've always balked at putting a third of the value of my bike into wheels! I'd need a windfall. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You know one thing with aftermarket wheels it sounds like if you buy a set you really like you could make it work on your next bike and enjoy the benefit of ultralight wheels all the time regardless of what you ride in the future. Just keep transferring your aftermarket wheels to the next bike. Where did you find the most weight savings was it changing out the exhaust system? did you use a full titanium exhaust?

·
Registered
453 Posts
You know one thing with aftermarket wheels it sounds like if you buy a set you really like you could make it work on your next bike and enjoy the benefit of ultralight wheels all the time regardless of what you ride in the future. Just keep transferring your aftermarket wheels to the next bike. Where did you find the most weight savings was it changing out the exhaust system? did you use a full titanium exhaust?
the exhaust dropped 22 pounds. It's not titanium, I do not like the rainbow colors, nor is there one available in titanium for our bikes. Mine is the Akra stainless headers and the silencers are the Laser GP Inox (I think that means stainless in german). The lithium battery dropped another 7 pounds, and the handlebar another 2-3 lbs as the stock is insanely heavy for what it is. Also changed to a 3D forged chain, converted down to 520 size (as opposed to 525 stock) with an alloy rear sprockets, which dropped another 3 pounds. Though I didn't weigh these specifically, the following items were significantly lighter that stock; Brembo caliper, Brembo rotors front and rear, forged alu rearsets (less than half the weight of the stock). Also removed the complete Exup and PAIR system along with the stock tool-kit and the heavy ass EvoTech tail tidy the previous owner put on. Between the miscellaneous stuff and emissions system removal, I would assume another 8 pounds lost. Add back another 1-2 pounds for the power commander and frame sliders, it should work out to be about 40 pounds savings altogether.

Considering the official listed weight of a 2010 non ABS model 480lbs wet, that brings this bike down to around 440lbs wet, which is about 5 pounds less than a new non ABS Zx10r. I'm quite happy with that. Forged wheels should drop another 17 pounds off that, which would put this bike in similar weight as a modern 600.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Those look 😌. They didn’t list those as a fitment option for the Z but I’m sure with some creativity and some time to get the extra parts needed it probably would work. much better color brother. I’m in the process of trying to get the weights for all these wheel rims and then compare them to the marchesini ones that comfy sofa has and see if it’s the same, better or worse. Unless they’re same or better I’m not gonna buy them then It’ll probably come down to whatever’s cheaper in the end provided I get the significantly improved performance as promised.

View attachment 85072
The OZ Gass RS-A does come in Z1000 application. I know because I just ordered a set in titanium finish. I should have them in 6-8 weeks, it's gonna feel like a lifetime...

·
Registered
453 Posts
it's interesting that the 3rd and 4th gen has different part numbers for the front wheel. I think it comes down to the fact the that the 3rd gen uses 15.5mm spacers while the 4th gen uses 13mm wheel spacers, which now makes me think I fucked up my order and should have ordered 4th gen part number since I now have a complete 4th gen front end on my bike.

Can you confirm that you do not re-use the stock wheel spacers?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good question!!!

The wheel spacers i got with mine were for a 3rd gen and i had to grind them down to fit my 4th gen!

I can confirm you do NOT use the OEM wheel spacers and have to order the correct ones when you order the wheels

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good question!!!

The wheel spacers i got with mine were for a 3rd gen and i had to grind them down to fit my 4th gen!

I can confirm you do NOT use the OEM wheel spacers and have to order the correct ones when you order the wheels
yeah, rather than call and change the order and having it delayed more than the already long 8 weeks lead time, I'm just going to do the same thing, machine off 2.5mm off each spacer. I did the same when I converted my forks over from the original 3rd gen to the Showa BP-SFF off the 4th gen. Speaking of which, the whole point of converting my forks over to 4th gen was so that I can install the Ohlins FGK232 cartridges into them, which I ordered in September, then got an email in October saying that they are on backorder, and then about 2 weeks ago I got an email saying that they have been discontinued completely and they are refunding my money. Really pissed me off, and anger bought the OZ's instead, lol. Oh well, I think Matris and Adreani still make cartridges which I'll research later on. The K-Tech's are also now discontinued.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I’m starting to notice that too with aftermarket Z parts. More and more stuff is discontinued now. congrats on the rolling mass weight savings.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I weighed my bike this week and it's now 207.35kgs. That's a couple of kilos below a stock ZX10R. I'd love a set of wheels,but the cost may be a bridge too far.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I weighed my bike this week and it's now 207.35kgs. That's a couple of kilos below a stock ZX10R. I'd love a set of wheels,but the cost may be a bridge too far.
I'm going to weigh the wheels when they come in, like for like ready to bolt on. As I understand reading from the German Portal forums (tho I now cannot find the thread), the early 3rd gen two-tone 5-spoke wheels were incredibly heavy, weighed something like 30% more than the black Y-spoke wheels that came on the 4th gen Z and Ninja 1000. So I'm curious what the total weight savings will be. If I can get the total wet weight under 198kg, I'm going to be extremely happy! I just rode my neighbors HP4 on the track (which weights 198kg wet) and the difference is extremely noticeable, especially as the tank runs dry.

Also, I take back the comment about K-Tech's. The UK site showed the cartridges as discontinued last summer, but now that I checked it shows it as still in stock. I called K-Tech USA to make sure this was not a stock error, and they said that they do in fact show stock in the UK warehouse. So I just ordered the K-Tech 25IDS cartridges for the bike. Supposed to be here next week! I called around to 2 suspension shops here in SoCal and they all said they don't have the necessary tools to install them, so I'm going to buy the Showa tools and the K-Tech tools and attempt the install myself.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm going to weigh the wheels when they come in, like for like ready to bolt on. As I understand reading from the German Portal forums (tho I now cannot find the thread), the early 3rd gen two-tone 5-spoke wheels were incredibly heavy, weighed something like 30% more than the black Y-spoke wheels that came on the 4th gen Z and Ninja 1000. So I'm curious what the total weight savings will be. If I can get the total wet weight under 198kg, I'm going to be extremely happy! I just rode my neighbors HP4 on the track (which weights 198kg wet) and the difference is extremely noticeable, especially as the tank runs dry.

Also, I take back the comment about K-Tech's. The UK site showed the cartridges as discontinued last summer, but now that I checked it shows it as still in stock. I called K-Tech USA to make sure this was not a stock error, and they said that they do in fact show stock in the UK warehouse. So I just ordered the K-Tech 25IDS cartridges for the bike. Supposed to be here next week! I called around to 2 suspension shops here in SoCal and they all said they don't have the necessary tools to install them, so I'm going to buy the Showa tools and the K-Tech tools and attempt the install myself.
Did you ever get a direct comparision between the stock wheels and the Oz?
Since the Gen4 stock wheels are a fair bit lighter than the Gen3,I'm still wondering if the cash outlay is really worth it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts