Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking to buy some new wheels for my bike and I want to know if anybody has ever used OZ wheels? I don’t know anything about them. My concern might be they may not hold up long-term. I’m trying to reduce the weight for better performance and handling. Does anyone know the weight of the wheels stock? supposedly the piega will fit gen 3 & 4. The gloss black looks pretty good. i don’t know if i could pull off the gold with my bike being the green on gray color scheme. i usually try not to do more than 3 colors at once on a bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
3rd gen 5-spokes wheels are heavy as hell, 4th gen 6-spokes are much lighter. I don't know which you got, but if you have a 3rd gen, getting 4th gen wheels for 3-400 off eBay gets you 60% of the weight savings for 15% of the costs...

Also, they are between $2200 for the Piega and $2900 for the Gass, that's a lot of money for a couple pounds of weight savings. To me, wheels are the mod your do when you have exhausted all other performance mods. I would definitely start with suspension first before wheels, unless it's all about that styling for you, but you said you wanted them in black, which means everyone's gonna think they are stockers. :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Any reason for choosing OZ wheels...i got marchesinis on mine and theyre brilliant - just wish id bought the more expensive lighter ones...!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just ordered my Nitron R1 rear shock w/pre-load adjuster yesterday :eek:. i’m very very excited to replace my rear rock for a shock.

I agree the black just makes it look like another set of stock wheels which is disappointing but I do like the shape of the wheel which I thinks look sexy as hell. you’re probably right though maybe I should go for a color other than stock to do something different. So far the color choices seems to be black, black or gold.

Comfy sofa which specific model do you have? i haven’t found Marchesini’s model fit up information for the z1000 so i’m still investigating options.

Having a set of forged aluminum rims how well do these wheels hold up long term does anyone know? if i fall of the world 🌎 when riding over a pot/road hole do the light weight wheels survive well? seen any warping/bending over prolonged every day use?

Thanks everyone for your help with this I appreciate it.(y)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is the going price on eBay for the wheel. looks like everything else comes in the kit. cushdrive, bearings, spacers, etc. I’ve sent an email to OZ to confirm the weight of the wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The OZ Gass comes in this titanium silver which is definitely the color I will be going for when i get a set, though that's probably not gonna be for a while as they are 3 grand

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Those look 😌. They didn’t list those as a fitment option for the Z but I’m sure with some creativity and some time to get the extra parts needed it probably would work. much better color brother. I’m in the process of trying to get the weights for all these wheel rims and then compare them to the marchesini ones that comfy sofa has and see if it’s the same, better or worse. Unless they’re same or better I’m not gonna buy them then It’ll probably come down to whatever’s cheaper in the end provided I get the significantly improved performance as promised.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think these are the gass wheels in the pic?? The gold wheel s looks decent on this bike. mine has the black forks, Maybe if I kept the gold wheels and replaced all the green trim with carbon fiber gloss black could work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
all these wheels are universal, the just change the sprocket and rotor carrier from bike to bike. So if OZ makes the Piega for our bikes then the Gass should fit too.

See below for ebay listing for Gass wheels which fit our bikes. The Gass is lighter than the Piega.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is the response on the weight. the seller is being a bit dodgy so carefull what you believe. He could easily put the wheel on the scale and tell me But he’s choosing not to.

·
Registered
238 Posts
here is the response on the weight. the seller is being a bit dodgy so carefull what you believe. He could easily put the wheel on the scale and tell me But he’s choosing not to.

View attachment 85076
he really doesn't know because he does not have the wheels.

That's not uncommon, I would say probably 95% of all ebay sellers are what you call a "drop shipper", meaning they do not carry any inventory of their own, once you buy from them they put in an order with either OZ's US distributor (probably Parts Unlimited), or with OZ Italy itself, from where the wheels will most probably ship from.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is there a reason you avoid carbon fiber wheels ?

aren't they the lightest wheels available ?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
These are the Marchesini wheels that ComfySofa* is talking about - at the time the bike looked to me like it had been whored out but I was simply IGNORANT - owned by a guy who buys 8-12 motorcycles a year from Tri County in Simi Valley, throws thousands of dollars into each, rides them for 1500-5000 miles & then trades them back in a huge discount.

This bike had everything.

I thought I knew how the World worked then.

But I didn't know what a Z1000 was in 2016.

So I was just another idiot on two wheels.

And nor did many other people.

The salesman said "Yeah its a liter bike, but it's twitchy, like Jekyll & Hyde, at speed its unpredictable ..."

The same salesman who called it twitchy, called me 2 days before what happened below to sell it for $5300 but I already had purchased a CBR500R.

They are asking $9200 out the door here & the dealership ending up wholesaling it to a dealer in Las Vegas. For $3500!

*Holy Jesus, one has to Spell Check the Auto Spell when putting in the name Comfysofa otherwise it changes the name into two separate words that should not be next to each other.

20180125_165237.jpg
20180125_165227.jpg
20180125_164945.jpg
20180125_164955.jpg

·
Registered
256 Posts
I avoid it for the same reason the MotoGP avoids it.

OK, I'll bite

Why does MotoGP not use Carbon fiber wheels ? I thought they did ?

I've heard they crack on heavy streetbikes running over potholes and curbs, but thought a track bike would benefit ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
alloy wheels may bend and crack under duress, while carbon wheel literally explode. Motorcycling is already inherently dangerous, don't need any extra variables thrown in there for excitement.

EDIT: also, at least in my eyes, they look pretty fuggly compared to a nice forged alloy wheel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I weighed the rear rim from the ZH2 which appears identical to the one off my ‘14 Z . It was 22.7 pounds

1 - 20 of 27 Posts