Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did my first oil change yesterday, thinking there was no way I could mess it up given how much I had mentally rehearsed it and when tightening the drain plug I definitely missed the “click” from the torque wrench. By the time I looked down the new drain plug washer was totally squished. I was able to remove the plug just fine and I ended up having to remove the washer from the plug with pliers while rotating the drain plug. The only damage I noticed on the plug was some slight rounding on the head, but the threads are fine and I didn’t have trouble locking into the head of the plug with a socket. I didn’t notice any damage to the oil pan and the bolt threaded into it fine. I installed a new washer and tightened the drain plug to the proper torque spec and finished the oil change. I started the bike and didn’t notice any leaks. I’m probably just overthinking this, but is there anything I should be concerned about? I ordered a new drain plug to replace the current one with just to have a fresh one for peace of mind, which I will install on my next oil change. What are the chances I damaged my oil pan? I think the washer saved me a nightmare situation by flattening and I learned my lesson hah.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it threaded back in and is sitting flush enough to where there’s no drips id say you got a away with it. Just keep an eye on it and see it drips over the coming weeks and if it does get a new bolt if its not flush on the washer. It’ll be fine, worst case scenario you gotta drop the pan and get it tapped to a bigger size for like 20 bucks

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
When you torque something that's covered in oil, reduce the torquay 30%, if not a little more.

If you think about it, oil makes rhe bolt easier to twist, and that's all your wrench is sensing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you torque something that's covered in oil, reduce the torquay 30%, if not a little more.

If you think about it, oil makes rhe bolt easier to twist, and that's all your wrench is sensing
Makes sense, thanks. It doesn’t help that I used the bottom end of my larger torque wrench, so it was hard to feel the right torque spec. Oh well, sometimes that’s what it takes to never repeat a mistake.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I know. It's not like I didn't have to learn this the hard way, too...lol. mine was on a very expensive , dirt bike fork.

If your bike was an Aprilia, good chance you would have ripped a chunk out or the oil pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts