Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
this is Maxton suspension opinion of the gen 4 suspension and what it needs for what it’s worth. They don’t sell Maxton in the US so unfortunately so i went with a nitron rear. It’s good to hear everyone’s feedback as now I’m thinking I want to upgrade my front suspension at some point.

View attachment 85110

View attachment 85111

Most of that is true, but some of it is a bit disingenuous. Like spring rates, the stock springs on both the 3rd and 4th gen is a 9.0N/mm spring, those are the correct spring rates for someone in the 170lbs weight range, which is the overall average weight for rider throughout pretty much the entire world except the US, and maybe some Scandic countries. So to generalize that the stock 4th gen springs are too soft, is not really true. To a 120lbs Filipino guy they are gonna be extremely hard/harsh, while for a 260 pound nordic viking it's gonna be borderline unrideable.

Also, to say that their cartridge has the advantage of a bigger piston size is again not true. The Showa SFF-BP has the exact same 25mm piston/valve size as their cartridge kit, hence the "BP" in the name meaning "big piston". If they wanted to show their cartridges superiority then they should have mentioned that their kit has damping on both legs whereas the stocker has damping in only one leg, which is a genuine advantage for their cartridge, and when valved correctly is a huge improvement over the stock SFF-BP cartridge.

I think their statement is just a generalized copy-and-paste job from another bike's writeup.

And for those that wonder about appropriate spring rates for ride weight, see table below. Track riders tend to go up one spring rate from the one recommended because they care more about not bottom out the fork under heavy braking more than comfort. For instance, I weigh 175 but I'm using a 9.25N/mm springs in my forks due to mainly riding on track.

Spring Rate = Rider Weight (Including riding gear)
8.5 Nm = <165 lbs.
9.0 Nm = 165-185 lbs.
9.5 Nm = 185-205 lbs.
10.0 Nm = 205-225 lbs.
10.5 Nm = >225 lbs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve never heard of Maxton suspension until this year. Neevsy did a short video review on the gen 3 with some maxton upgrades for the track and gave his 👍 approval. Like all manufacturers their advertising is littered full of marketing BS to make things sound better than they really are or worse than they really are. I would think though that they probably are reputable company as they would not last very long in the business if they weren’t. That was an email response from Maxton to me when I asked them for some suggestions on improving the rear shock performance a few months ago.
nonetheless I can’t seem to stop thinking about the Ohlins cartridge now and I want them...😱. It looks like a pretty good job of an overhaul to install the new kit and some special tools. I don’t know if I’m up for that but I think I would be willing to send off my front forks and have them rebuilt with new internals. just need to save up some more cash 💰. weird though they say the fork tube is glued to the housing. didn’t expect that. here are Ohlins installation instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I’ve never heard of Maxton suspension until this year. Neevsy did a short video review on the gen 3 with some maxton upgrades for the track and gave his 👍 approval. Like all manufacturers their advertising is littered full of marketing BS to make things sound better than they really are or worse than they really are. I would think though that they probably are reputable company as they would not last very long in the business if they weren’t. That was an email response from Maxton to me when I asked them for some suggestions on improving the rear shock performance a few months ago.
nonetheless I can’t seem to stop thinking about the Ohlins cartridge now and I want them...😱. It looks like a pretty good job of an overhaul to install the new kit and some special tools. I don’t know if I’m up for that but I think I would be willing to send off my front forks and have them rebuilt with new internals. just need to save up some more cash 💰. weird though they say the fork tube is glued to the housing. didn’t expect that. here are Ohlins installation instructions.
loctite is technically a plastic epoxy (glue), but it's just there to keep the fork stanchions from unscrewing in case the lock screw backs out, it doesn't actually glue anything persay. If you want to do the install yourself you need the following 2 specialty tool from below, plus a soft jaw vice.

I didn't want to imply that Maxton is not a great company, they are absolutely as reputable as all others, it's just hard to convey to someone why they need a fork cartridge when it's all about the feel you get, so they have to embellish a bit.

Also, you will notice a much bigger improvement from getting a rear shock first, because while the stock fork internals are pretty decent quality, the stock shock is utter budget garbage. The bee's knee's when it comes to performance shocks for the Z1000 is the Penske, which is sold through Traxxion. As I mentioned in the previous threads, the Ohlins that's available for our bikes is the ST street oriented series, not the high end TTX that most people get. Definitely the Penske, HyperPro/Yagcugar, Maxton, Nitron is superior to the Ohlins ST46, assuming you get their fully adjustable version.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spring Rate = Rider Weight (Including riding gear)
8.5 Nm = <165 lbs.
9.0 Nm = 165-185 lbs.
9.5 Nm = 185-205 lbs.
10.0 Nm = 205-225 lbs.
10.5 Nm = >225 lbs.
My weight isn't even on that scale! I'd be about 11 stone ( 154lbs) fully kitted!

·
Registered
155 Posts
the Ohlins FGK is what I have in my 4th gen forks, it gets rid of the dead leg and puts rebound into the left cartridge and compression into the right, but more importantly it put the preload adjuster back into BOTH fork legs, so you don't have the wonkiness of the unequal spring rates found in the original separate function forks, making it less crucial as to how stiff your lower triple clamp is and more predictable damping as a result.
do the FGK cartridges have 120 mm of standard travel or 110 mm? I was just curious if that changed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
do the FGK cartridges have 120 mm of standard travel or 110 mm? I was just curious if that changed.
cartridge kit does not change stroke length, both 3rd and 4th gen has 120mm of travel. The only difference is that the overall fork height on the 4th gen is about 15mm shorter, and the rear linkage is different, causing the 4th gen to be about a half inch overall lower than the 3rd gen, in terms of ground clearance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah, make an adapter like I did. Since I have access to a CNC machine, I drew it up and the guy made it for me for $60, but you can pretty much achieve the same results just by bending some sheet metal into a Z shaped bracket for basically no money. I'm just anal about these things, hence the needless extra work...

Basically compared to the 4th gen, the 3rd gen fender mount is 14mm closer to the fork leg and 12mm further in. Obviously you'd be going the inverse direction.

View attachment 85105
View attachment 85107

Ironically a lot of 4th gen Z owners want to run 3rd gen fenders because of the fork fairing that the 3rd gens have.
Here is a 4th gen Z with the 3rd gen fender and fork fairing

View attachment 85106
This pic is from a german company can remember the name anymore.. been looking for 2nd hand 3rd gen frontfenders and covers for a long time, but never found any in decent shape or were just overpriced.

It looks very good an a gen4

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts