Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did my 3750 oil change this morning. read on here someone burped their filter. haven't had to either time. maybe it's because i pour about 5 or 6 ounces of oil in my wix filter befoire i put it on . light has gone out immediately both times. thought i'd share.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Have only done the 600mi oil chane but had no problem either.
Did notice that the 4 quarts stated in sevice manual would have been too much so be careful when you guys do a change and fill to visual level and dont just dump 4 qts in. Peace Barry

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
sorry to say my friend called me up and said after his first oil change the oil light would not go out.[ he did it]. started it 3 times for about 15 sec. he freeked. he was going to tow it to the dealer. i told him on the phone to try using the old filter over. it started and the light stayed off.
i do not know what brand filter he used ?. it was not a kawasaki brand. if it were me i would use a dealer filter and put oil in the filter before installing it. why risk it. so their is something going on , you should be able to just screw a filter on fill the crankcase and ride off. my guess is the oil pump does not like to prime a dry filter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've been working on vehicles for nearly forty years. i always put oil in filter of anything i change oil on. never had a problem. zrx's filter is in the engine so it was impossible. i think notabiker is right. something is not right if you have to burp oil filter. i have used wix filters for years never an issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
jrick, It makes since to prime or put oil in the filter. Seems like you need to prime the pump on this bike might be a desine flaw that you can work around .

·
Registered
99 Posts
found this in the service manual

(If the oil has just been changed , start the engine and run for SEVERAL MINUTES at idle speed . This fills the oil filter with oil )page 7-7 in factory manual

2) thoughts

1)are we not wating loug enough for the light to go off
2)priming the filter solves this problem

just some info: racing the engine before the oil reaches every part can couse engine seizer. NO KIDDING
If the oil gets extremly low or if the oil pump or oil passages get clog up or otherwise do not fuction properly , the warning light (LED) and oil pressure warning symbol will blink. If this blink stays on when the engine is above idle speed , stop the engine and find the couse

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree.but running a few minutes with light on would not be good. eventually after doing this enough times the cumulative effect would not be good. sometimes manufacturers will not tell us the whole story. also my son reminded me of something i used to tell him often. never buy the first year of anything. to give them time to work out the bugs. looks like i didn't follow my own advice. hope it doesn't come back to bite me.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i've been working on vehicles for nearly forty years. i always put oil in filter of anything i change oil on. never had a problem. zrx's filter is in the engine so it was impossible. i think notabiker is right. something is not right if you have to burp oil filter. i have used wix filters for years never an issue.
as much as i loved my ZRX that oil filter is not something i miss changing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll second that. i absolutely dreaded oil changes on rex. ihad to unbolt slipon bracket and lower bolt to engine, then wedge a board in between frame and midpipe. just to clear the exhaust. was always afraid it would leak. don't miss that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
luckly we have this forum and have smart people who know to solve problems like this
(jrick) will be priming the filter from now on:D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not very smart. just been at it a long time. sooner or later bound to get something right.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new on here but I did my first oil change on my 2011 Z1000 and I fitted the filter dry. Never had an issue with any engine before like that in my life. The Z1000 would not pump pressure until I released the filter and primed it. It then pumped pressure straight away.

Started the engine about four times at idle for 10 secs or so and it refused to build pressure. I hated even doing that. :mad: Kawasaki say to just let it idle until it builds pressure. WTF!! :eek:

They must be a low volume pump on these. I will be just filling the filter first from now on.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
its the new oil filters. nothing wrong with the bikes. i leave my filter loose when i crank it. when oil starts coming out, cut it off & tighten the filter.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with JRick56. I always pour oil into the new oil filter before installing. You only have to fill it about 2/3, and the filter will absorb most of it through the sides. When you install it, you probably won't spill a drop even though the filter is horizontally mounted. This will shorten the amount of time the engine needs to fill up that little filter. No oil pressure is a bad thing, so any help to that engine getting pressure a few seconds quicker is good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
always too bloody late for me read the manual and follow it , damn thing didnt go out for ages , let it sit for 1/2 hr start again still wouldnt go out , im sure ive ****t the top end :( , tryd to get on here but stupid damn wireless inter**** wouldnt work , eventualy turned the filter off a bit until i got oil , still nothing light blinking its *** off , turn filter off again and finaly light goes out ,, bike runs ok still goes hard as but i have that horrible feeling in the back of head its guna grenade when i least expect it :(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, did the 5000k oil change last weekend and had to burp it, annoying but seeing I know now, check change will be a breeze.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts