Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can’t find much info but surely someone else has had the same idea. The Z1000 misses out on a lot of the fancy electronics upgrades that the Ninja 1000SX and Vesys got.

This includes:
colour TFT display
KTRC (traction control) system
Throttle-by-wire
Up/down quick shifter
Super sport-spec Kawasaki’s Intelligent anti-lock Brake System (KIBS)
Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU)
Kawasaki Cornering Management Function (KCMF)
Etc etc…

Now I love how pure the Z is, being an unadulterated engine with two wheels that will do what you want, when you want. That said, I’d wonder about the feasibility of taking a wrecked Ninja 1000SX and transferring all the electronics over, being they seemingly share the same 1043cc donk? Worst case you may need to apply Z1000 ignition timing and fuel maps to the Ninja ECU (not sure if they run a different tune but I don’t see why they would)

With throttle-by-wire, (selectable) traction control, up/down quick shifter - I think the Z would be an awesome machine, receiving the upgrades that Kawa never did in order to push people to the Z900/Z800 platform instead.

sure, these exist in third party units and can be added on with solutions such as the Bazzaz z-fi, I definitely find the “factory” option more appealing and refined.

So the question is, has anybody done this, explored it, found any gotchas? I’d be curious to know.

Wrecked bikes go very cheaply here, my 2020 Z1000 which had an unfortunate short life before washing out into a guard rail went for <$300 at auction, I was bitter I missed out as the engine and electronics were all essentially new! If I could find a Ninja 1000 or even Versys for similar, aside from the man hours my total investment into it would be next to nothing….

·
Registered
610 Posts
think i’d go the other route. find a ninja 1000 sx and put z1000 body work on it. think someone here suggested this a while back. probably a lot easier and cheaper alternative.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think i’d go the other route. find a ninja 1000 sx and put z1000 body work on it. think someone here suggested this a while back. probably a lot easier and cheaper alternative.

View attachment 86346
Interesting alternative, I would have thought they have different geometry. Looking at images of the frames they appear as though they may be the same, I learnt something there! The problem will be though, if I buy a wrecked 1000SX it’s likely to be a statutory write off here which means it can never be registered for road use and is likely to have frame damage.

I’d also be much more comfortable just swapping electricals over with my background in electronic engineering. It seems a better pathway to me anyway compared to working out what gremlins lay within a wreck with an unknown life story.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What year is your z? Rumor has it that the traction control program is already there in the 2014 ecu.

I think your transplant idea would work. The engines are so similar I don't believe the tune would be an issue. You might have to get creative for a front wheel sensor, and maybe even have to use the ninja wheels, but you would have the whole bike to work with.

The problem here is they don't have a good reflash for the 2020 ninja. If you want the best engine performance, for this platform, you need Ivan's flash. Once you have that, the 2020 ride by wire is a serious downgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year is your z? Rumor has it that the traction control program is already there in the 2014 ecu.

I think your transplant idea would work. The engines are so similar I don't believe the tune would be an issue. You might have to get creative for a front wheel sensor, and maybe even have to use the ninja wheels, but you would have the whole bike to work with.

The problem here is they don't have a good reflash for the 2020 ninja. If you want the best engine performance, for this platform, you need Ivan's flash. Once you have that, the 2020 ride by wire is a serious downgrade.
My Z is ‘21 plated but is unchanged from the 2019 model, which itself, aside from colour, would be the same as 2017+

I did read that the traction control stuff is there, just lacks the sensors etc so I wonder if I could get that working… it would be a nice to have for wet weather riding and bad surfaces.
I’d be interested in exploring the full transfer though, including ECU. I saw Ivan’s flash for the Z also applies to the SX with some additional tweaks specific to the SX.

Would ride-by-wire be a big downgrade? I’ve ridden an MT10 with it and didn’t really note any significant difference in throttle “feel” aside from it being a different bike. Or is it that Ivan doesn’t have a flash for the ‘20 ECU? I’ll have a chat with him and see what he thinks, happy to send him the ECU when I get it so he can have a poke around and see what can be done.

I’ve got several months to research this all, the salavage auctions here come up monthly and there’s no Ninja’s in the next lineup for Feb.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im in the exact same boat as you im in Victoria and I've got the 21 z1000 as well.

This one should have everything you need, I've been keeping a eye out for these as I've been considering doing the same
Nice find! that bike looks spot on for what’s needed. I’m not too far (2hrs) from their auction lot so definitely feasible. Bidding starts on Friday so I’ll watch and see what happens :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was gunna jump on it myself but I'm moving houses in the next couple weeks so not quite the right time for me. If ya do get it I'll be following as I'll probaly do the same swap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was gunna jump on it myself but I'm moving houses in the next couple weeks so not quite the right time for me. If ya do get it I'll be following as I'll probaly do the same swap
Ahh, bad timing… I’m happy to be the guinea pig and give this a crack. I’ll do a full write up along the way if this all comes together.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Interesting idea for sure.

I actually bought my 2020 Z1000R because it had no rider aids other than ABS, but I love to see an owner tackle upgrade problems,so watching with interest. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Stock vs stock, ride by wire is a big upgrade vs a cable throttle. Ride by wire allows them to hide restrictions, dead spots, etc. Hide is the key word. They are still there,but hidden.

We have a throttle tube that is pulling a cable. Sure, we can make the tube smaller and pull less cable. Larger, it will pull more. Egg shaped and it splits the difference. No matter what, we are still locked up because that shoe we choose is always the same.

I know it's all dealt with electronically, electronic, but to be really basic, ride by wire allows this tube to be any size, or shape you want ...,at any time.

When Ivan flashes the ninja/z1000, he's using information he has gathered since early 2011. Years worth of tuning. By the time he's done, you can't imagine how connected and exact he sets up this old cable throttle. It's so dead on predictibile that I went to a quick turn throttle. I also removed weight from my flywheel.

When I installed my ecu, I went for my first Ivan's flash ride. There was almost a sense of confusion. I wanted to stop, and REALLY look over the bike. If I don't know better, I would have sworn someone switched out the engine. It's that good.

Hopefully he ends up flashing ride by wire, although there's no possible way he could improve the response that he's already dialed in.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The reflash is always judged by how much horsepower it made vs stock..right? That's all we have as a way to keep score.

I wish I could describe this part of Ivan's work...yes, you get your extra horsepower, but he also gives you this...and "this" is why I recommend his work to a beginner as well as an experienced, seasoned rider.

He dials in the low speed throttle so we'll that I was able to realize my speedometer will not display 3 mph. It switches from 2 to 4. There is also a throttle position where it's gets confused and rapidly switches from 2-4. It's easy to hold the throttle in that position.

The bike becomes amazing in stop-n-go traffic. Low speed handling is much improved.

He charges 350.00 for the work. It would be a good deal if he charged 1500.00. Imaging a tuner who was excellent, and had 25 years of experience. Now, imagine that this guy had OCD tithe point where he paid to develope his own software. At his point,he spends five years tuning this specific platform.....that's what you get with this flash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts