Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

New track bike for track newb, 636 vs 750

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  56cbr600rr 
#1 ·
3rd gen Z owner, 2013. Love it. Previous bike was a 2006 gsxr 750. Loved it just as much.

I am looking to get into track riding, and would like to add a Ninja 636 or a gsxr 750 to the stable. 2013-ish.

My question is, since I have owned a gsxr 750 before, should I just go for that again? Or would a Ninja 636 be a better first track bike option? I loved the power on my 750, wanted more, but never tracked anything. Newb status, but I learn quick. I dont want to get a 636 and then want a 750 two months later after I get decent. I am already a solid rider, no pro, but love cornering... I also dont want to get a 750 and slide out my second week once i get semi confident on it, and screw something up...

Thus my debate, 636 vs 750?

This bike will also be used on the street, and im afraid the 636 wont be as good down low as a 750, nvm my Z1000. I feel like to have fun on a 600, you need to be above 10,000 rpm and that means speeding tickets.

Can anyone give me some imput that tracks their supersports or middle weights?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Try to find a Suzuki SV650, super popular at the track. A great way to get track time as well as upgradeable as you get better. Do some googling about them.

Top 5 Cheap/First Track Day Bikes

A good resource from across the pond.

Here's some race body work

SUZUKI SV 650 1999-02, SV650 fairing, fairings, cafe, competition, race, full, tail, seat, front fender, rear hugger, upper, lower, bellypan, fuel tank, undertail

One of about 8 that's for sale near me. Give you a rough idea of a starting price point. I'm sure that your local has similar deals.

Suzuki SV650 SV 650s SV650s RARE DUAL EXHAUST SYTSTEM CLEAN TITLE

#3 ·
I'd kinda say the 636... or even more a 2008+ Yamaha r6. It has a predictable front end and is a beast.

I had a fully built Championship winning 2008 GSXR (I didn't win a Championship on it... bought it) and took it to Road Atlanta once. It was a BEAST on the straight. The rest of it however I was unhappy with. Brake lever would pull to the clip on after it built up heat over laps on the back straight. Also, i'm not fond of it's wide gas tank, gives the impression the bike is bulkier than it really is.

IMO and in order

-2008+ Yamaha r6 (also replacement parts are typically cheaper than Honda and Kawasaki and Suzuki)
-Kawi 636
-GSXR 750

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.