Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Im Jon from Phoenix Az, new to bikes and considering a few. but the Z always come back to the front of my mind. It will be my first bike, I know everyone says stay away from the liter bikes for your first bike. But heres the rub. Im almost 30 and very level headed. I was a Marine for 8 years and have had my close calls and am not looking to get any by acting dumb on a bike. But I want a bike that will last and not one that ill grow out of in a year or two. Im a relatively big guy 6'2 and about 215lb so the smaller 650 nakeds dont seem to "fit". just looking for some free advice. Is this a bike that i can grow into but still be caususly confident on. I have a healthy fear and respect of any bike, but am enthralled with the Z.

Thanks for you time,

Jon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you even have a license yet?
Every time a friend has asked this question they go and buy what they want.
They get something too big and are afraid to ride it.
So there it sits. By something cheap and used to see if a bike is for you.
I just rode my vtr250 400 miles today. It doesn't fit me at all. But it is a light bike you can ride fast through the twisties.
Good luck ...

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I have been riding for 30years and I don't recommend A 1000 cc bike to any one as a first bike no matter how big you are. You can get in to trouble way to fast and a inexperience ride won't know what to do. So I suggest some thing with less power I rode a Zr750 up until 2007 when I got my first Z1000. Don't let your pride get you hurt, as a marine you have to much riding on it. :2cents:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd pick up something that's under a 1000cc, ride it for a while until you get comfortable on a bike, learn the basics to riding a motorcycle, then pick up a bigger bike like the Z. Simply put, liter bikes or big bikes for that matter just do not make for the best bikes for learning on. The problem is that they aren't nearly as forgiving in many different ways as smaller bikes are which is not good for practicing & learning on. Just like the first car that one would learn to drive in wouldn't be a Ferrari, right?

A lot of folks think that their first bike is going to be the one they have forever, therefore they need to get the bike of their dream which of course isn't going to be a Ninja 250. Your first bike however absolutely does not need to be the one that you plan on keeping forever and plan to grow into over time, no, it's a training tool for learning the basics of riding. Besides, if you ever lay the bike down while while practicing maneuvers and whatnot while learning, you won't want that to be on the bike you plan on keeping forever.

·
Registered
555 Posts
One thing for sure you don't need more then a 600 cc bike to haul butt. I've seen many 600's keep up with litre bike all the time. The Z I think is a well balanced bike and very easy to ride. As long as you keep it under 4 to 5k rpm it is a great commuter bike. I've also rode with a guy that had a 250 Ninja and he kept up with most everyone in the canyons and did it silently too! There is nothing wrong with buying a good starter bike and working your way up to a Z1k. You being from Phoenix, AZ didn't you grow up on a dirt bike? Renting a bike is a great way to experience different types and sizes of bikes also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you're the right type of guy to try one. Beware the power but I'm sure your initial fear will keep you safe. I say go for it. :))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts