Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never posted on a forum before yet I have found an enormous amount of info here when I have needed it. I own a 2003 z1000 and recently after a few years of being tired of the hum drum look took out a torch and a knife and entered the land of no return. Started by cutting out my air box because I saw the potential look I felt I could achieve. Pulled all my smog off and removed my exhaust. Yanked my pegs and levers and ended up at 4am with a stripped bike hanging from tie straps in the garage. I shopped eBay and read forums. I replaced my header with a 01 zx9 d&d header and canister and mid pipe off a gsxr 1000. I spent enough time on a 7-11 back in the day to justify the gxr pipe on my kawi. Ordered some individual k&n filters mounting them directly on my throttle bodies. K&n crank case and smog plate inlets. PcIII and billet rear sets. Big plans for my girl this winter and having a good time as I go. Lots of thumbs ups every time I ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After re reading my post I realize some of the modifications I have taken for granted I should list. I am trying to up load a recent photo without success at this moment. You can see the photo on my profile album. When I first purchased the z in 04 I replaced the bars with straight drag bars. Putting the extra weight on the front tire seemed to give me more positive feel. I have relaxed my riding style a bit but still step up now and then. I have also removed all the plastic exposing the frame and now wonder why so many leave their z's all covered up. The pic is a build in progress. I have some cool cosmetic ideas I will be posting as I finish. As far as mild cosmetic changes I haven't seen any pics anywhere even close to what I will be doing.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
checked out ur pics, nice bike. does the taller windshield help better at high speeds? welcome to the forum...:welcome:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the delay, spent the last two days as a grooms man. Thanks for the compliment on my bike. I have thought of a few small details on this frame exposure. The triangle area has two possibilities for me at this time. I have thought of moving my electrical up under the seat or back where my charcoal canister was and now my power commander is. That gives me an open frame area that I think would be very clean and have that lightweight look. Another option is something I will try today. I have a thin sheet of stainless (replaced by aluminum in time) and it was originally a screen on a piece of machinery. If has perfectly spaced round holes that reminds me of one of my favorite bike. The older Honda rr with the holes in the fairing. I always wanted one of those bike and will get one when the time is right. So ill cut this stainless to fit to the inside of the frame and bolt it with some small allens. If this turns out as nice looking as I think ill replace it with the aluminum. Also need to make a new overflow for my radiated. I have a small clear bottle that once held a chemical that will do fine just waiting for the decision on where to mount. When all of this is done and I am fully happy I will jb weld the old side cover holes and remove the brackets. No turning back then huh. As far as the shield height I didn't notice any danger related changes. She shook her head at me at 139 after a gxr 750 pissed me off once before the shield change and once at 125 on a wrinkle in the highway. My own fault. Day one on this bike I said kawi did an unsafe thing selling this bike without a steering dampner. Still don't have one because of sheer I don't know why yet honestly my pilot powers and a one day steering dampner will prob be the best mods. The extra comfort from the shield has been worth it on long rides. I've changed back n forth and alway came back. I forgot to say before I also matched the rear shock color to my wheels. Took a school bus yellow and a tractor brown and bam this old paint guru showed me the way. Had to remove the spring. This winter I'm sending everything to racetech for a real suspension set to my weight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The spelling errors and picture problems are due to using my phone. Possibly tonight ill get online and see what happens. Another idea soon to come is covering the ugly d&d header with black wrap. When the time comes ill get a new fitted header that compliments. Also ordering a carbon fiber sleeve to replace the ss two brothers. It was an ebay purchase that came with damage that wasn't reported. Gave me a reason to change the canister sleeve to what I wanted anyway. If anyone has good bar ideas that will be the largest cosmetic change this winter. I've thought of removing the front clip and trying to find a sweet triple tree and bar set up and replace the cowl or headlight etc with a small shield and custom lights. Just expose the forks and dress up with steel brake lines. I have a goal of under 400#. Might take wheels to do that but I have expensive taste and as a single father using a beer budget it will take planning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soon I will be ordering the carbon fiber sleeve for this canister and two brother will custom make the riveted emblems so maybe I can add zr1 or z1000 to the emblem? any thoughts on the carbon fiber. I have planned to wrap the header with black wrap so I thought it would be a good look?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Also ordering a carbon fiber sleeve to replace the ss two brothers.

I have S/S shorty tri-oval Yosh cans and like the dual cans with the dual outlets they have. They sound good to me, but I've gotten the blackout bug and was thinking about just wrapping the cans with something black. Do they sell muffler wraps? If so where?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
been seeing alot of z's on here with the radiator covers removed. i am going to remove mine. i am also planning on painting my side covers under my seat black. makes it look alot better. will post pics as soon as i get it done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fiberglass wrap and similar options are all over eBay. Sizes and lengths vary. They have kits with stainless ties for the wrap. I've seen more expensive kits coming with a silicone or something like silicone spray yet after reading I've read different views about using the spray over the fiberglass. All the kits are under 100$. Most are under 50$. I am working a week of nights so this is my time to tinker on my z. And work here n there of course.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I agree on your can choices. My favorite is the new black yoshi with the angles and when the budget permits it this header n pipe will be replaced with a fitted welded header and that yoshi unless my ideas turn out so nice that I buy a second bike and leave the z as finished.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts