Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well finally ordered my tires. settled on dunlop spotmax Q2's. got them from motorcycle superstore. they matched STG's price of 239.95 for the pair delivered. they should be here this week. hope these will hold up better than the shinko's. if not milage wise at least traction wise. time will tell.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
well finally ordered my tires. settled on dunlop spotmax Q2's. got them from motorcycle superstore. they matched STG's price of 239.95 for the pair delivered. they should be here this week. hope these will hold up better than the shinko's. if not milage wise at least traction wise. time will tell.:screwy::screwy::screwy:
You will be lucky to get 2,500 out of them. I have been running BT-O21/23. Third set 6,500 miles, drag strip,deals gap, Hwy,rain don't matter these tires stick.:+1:

·
Registered
519 Posts
You will be lucky to get 2,500 out of them. I have been running BT-O21/23. Third set 6,500 miles, drag strip,deals gap, Hwy,rain don't matter these tires stick.:+1:
:+1: love the b23's even though they are condsidered a sports touring tire. Got caught in a rain storm for 40 miles with b23's going around 80 mph and they were rock solid.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
too rich formy blood right now. had to settle. tried to change front sprocket saturday mechanic couldn't get it loose. will try myself with our good gun this week. should take some of the hit away. right now want rtaction more than milage. the way this is geared may not be able to get both. looking at a harley.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was just looking at my tires the other day... Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's. I have 3500 miles on my bike. I put these tires on when the bike had 180 miles on it. Both are still like NEW. Deep tread on both ends. If anything, the front is wearing faster, probably because I'm a newer rider and overuse the front brake.

Rob

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I was just looking at my tires the other day... Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's. I have 3500 miles on my bike. I put these tires on when the bike had 180 miles on it. Both are still like NEW. Deep tread on both ends. If anything, the front is wearing faster, probably because I'm a newer rider and overuse the front brake.

Rob
I have 7k on my PR2's and the rear is just new showing a prominent flat spot from all of my straight line Illinois riding.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
too rich formy blood right now. had to settle. tried to change front sprocket saturday mechanic couldn't get it loose. will try myself with our good gun this week. should take some of the hit away. right now want rtaction more than milage. the way this is geared may not be able to get both. looking at a harley.:screwy::screwy::screwy:
Rick just checking to see if your ok

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Wow, my front sprocket wasn't that difficult to remove and it had been on there for 8 years!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Most of the bolts on my 2010 z are so tight that they have bent some of my allen heads.
Alot of the bolts on my '03 are put on with red loctite, and I have not had problems removing them. Kawasaki must have started tack welding the bolts in place on the bikes; that SUX! :dontknow:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
zepher, if you're refering to the weather here. the tornadoes missed us but we've had over 10 inches of rain this week. if you're refering to the harley comment am really looking at an 07 sporster 1200 for gas milage. not going to get it though. going to wait til i get this paid for and get a softail of some kind and keep this too. supposed to be nice tomorrow and friday then storms again saturday and sunday. will probably change the tires and try to change the sprocket then. we have a strong impact wrench at the shop.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
zepher, if you're refering to the weather here. the tornadoes missed us but we've had over 10 inches of rain this week. if you're refering to the harley comment am really looking at an 07 sporster 1200 for gas milage. not going to get it though. going to wait til i get this paid for and get a softail of some kind and keep this too. supposed to be nice tomorrow and friday then storms again saturday and sunday. will probably change the tires and try to change the sprocket then. we have a strong impact wrench at the shop.:screwy::screwy::screwy:
I was talking about the weather. We are having bad weather at my town in Rome,GA. But I'm in Fort Mill SC working :rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
very soory it must be very hard for you to be away at a time like this. will be prayin':screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Most of the bolts on my 2010 z are so tight that they have bent some of my allen heads.
Alot of the bolts on my '03 are put on with red loctite, and I have not had problems removing them. Kawasaki must have started tack welding the bolts in place on the bikes; that SUX! :dontknow:
Kawasaki seems to have fallen in love with thread locker. The Japanese red is similar to the US Loctite brand blue but it still makes everything a pain in the *** to take apart.

ridingswitch, invest in a set of metric hex bits that are 3/8" drive. Then you can use a ratchet. Those bits are generally much higher quality than loose Allen wrenches too.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Kawasaki seems to have fallen in love with thread locker. The Japanese red is similar to the US Loctite brand blue but it still makes everything a pain in the *** to take apart.

ridingswitch, invest in a set of metric hex bits that are 3/8" drive. Then you can use a ratchet. Those bits are generally much higher quality than loose Allen wrenches too.

Yeah I was just looking at getting a set the other day, do you have any idea what size hex I need to adjust the rear axel for the chain adjustment?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I had to take my hex style bolts out when I needed to replace my front wheel bearings. Rotors had to come off.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah I was just looking at getting a set the other day, do you have any idea what size hex I need to adjust the rear axel for the chain adjustment?
On the Ninja the pinch bolt on the swingarm is an 8mm hex. The hex on the adjuster eccentric is 12mm but a normal allen wrench works fine there since it doesn't require any torque.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
My zephyr 750 had the same setup and I loved it much easier to adjust the chain

1 - 20 of 46 Posts