Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

New battery time?

9K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  z-lover 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 z1000. Thinking about whether to replace the battery this winter. What sayeth thou folks? Almost all opinions welcome....:smile:

#2 ·
Does it still start?

#4 ·
They are good till they quit. lol

There is no set lifespan on them. Some batteries last a year and some, like the one in my car can last up to 8 years. The battery in my car now is 4 years old.

Both of my 2012 bikes have the stock battery in them as well.

Reactions: JohnJuan
#5 ·
My 08 concours 14 has low miles. It has been connected to a battery tender since I bought the bike in early 2010.

I finally NEED to replace it, right now. It still starts the bike, but shows low voltage after sitting for 24 hours, off the charger.

If yours is as good, you could still have several good years left. I would follow 92k's advise.

#19 ·
So I checked the battery in December after it sitting 3 weeks or so and got 12.5 volts. Charged it up with my 6 amp auto shutoff charger to 12.7 . Same results in January. Same results in February. Checked again yesterday it was 12.54 volts . Reinstalled for first ride of the year today. Had to crank it a lot to get it to start, but start it did finally. So I'm gonna keep it another year and see where I'm at next winter. As to the jumpstart/pushstart question, I've jumpstarted my bike from a NON-Running car before, no worries.

#10 ·
You can always push start it if the battery craps out.

#11 ·
I like this idea.....replace battery before it could ever be an issue.

Based on Maddevil telling us this battery lasted two years, now what?

Granted, he did get four years from one, and the third is still good, but it looks like yearly replacement is what we would have to do to be 100% sure we wont have issues.

After seeing how my c14 battery has lasted, with the battery tender jr, be sure and grab one along with the new battery.

#12 ·
My 2008 Honda TRX700XX is on it's second battery. I left it turned on accidentally and killed the first battery. After sitting for a week or so with the key on there was no bringing that battery back to life. This battery has to be at least 5 years old.

#15 ·
I guess the Z's are more sensitive then. :sad:

#17 ·
I'm thinking as long as the starter will make the rapid clicking that it will have enough juice to push start fairly easy. It should get to that point before it just goes completely dead.

On the quads my buddy left his key on and killed his battery just like I did. We hooked a strap to it and drug it up and down his half mile long gravel driveway in 3rd gear clutch out and it would pop and chug but never built enough voltage to turn everything on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.