Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd Kawasaki, after a 1976 KZ900, then 25 years with no motorcycle :), and then getting back into riding in 2010 with a new Ninja 650R. Stepped it up this year and got a Candy Lime Green Z.

What a dream bike this is! It's not even broken in yet, so I haven't come near its potential, but I am already awed by the massive torque. I kind of chuckled when reading through the suggested shift points in the owner's manual -- 2nd gear at 9 mph, 3rd at 15 mph, etc., until finally you're in 6th gear at 34 mph. :rolleyes: But then I actually tried it and the engine has no trouble doing it! I discovered that you can be in 6th gear at 45 mph, and there's really no need to downshift to accelerate -- just roll on the throttle and she'll take off like it's in the middle of the powerband.

Like I said though, I'm really not qualified to speak about the performance yet because I'm sticking pretty close to the [painful] recommended break-in procedure. But I can say that this bike is a real looker, and the metalflake lime green paint is STUNNING! One co-worker who owns a Honda VFR800 called the paint "insane." In fact, the look of this bike was a major factor in my purchasing decision. All winter long I had my mind set on upgrading to a red Ninja 1000. A month ago the dealer called to tell me he had a red Ninja in stock that I could see in person. When I got there, the red Ninja was gorgeous like I expected it would be, but right next to it was the candy lime green Z1000 and I changed my mind right then and there. The futuristic look and the sparkling green paint sold me.

I plan on keeping it mostly stock. I have added a Kawasaki accessory wind deflector, and a set of Ride It adjustable black levers. The wind deflector makes a noticeable but not huge difference and looks like an OEM part. I got the levers because I have small-ish hands and the clutch lever was quite a reach. The Ride It clutch lever is about 2-1/4 inches from the grip at the outer end, which is about 1-1/4 inches closer than the stock lever. Plus it's black so it looks better too. The only other thing I'm considering adding at this point is a tank pad to protect the paint -- just having a little trouble finding one I like (I want a plain one if possible). I actually think the stock black mufflers look kind of cool - I know I'm in the minority there, but what can I say?

So, howdy from Connecticut, and looking forward to a nice season of riding! :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pictures. One is me buying the bike on a 40 degree day. I have the Kawasaki jacket, the other guy is the salesman, and that's my son in the full leather suit. He actually rode it home for me because I'm really a fair weather rider. :)

The other picture shows the genuine Kawasaki accessory wind deflector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts