Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
These seem to tick all the bases but is this the right front tire combination? But I just saw the price - $600 installed or is that 2 pennies a mile or 1 penny every 5 miles?!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
2016 Z1000 of which I just replaced the rear stock tire with Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 in a 180 versus 190 size.

What do you recommend?

I am 58 years of age but become 15 again when I sit on my bike & turn the key but I ride like I am 22.

I want good tires for the rain, 4 days a year or perhaps, the best tires for 361 days a year.

I am not interested in riding balls out, laying the bike over & scraping my footpegs.

Or spending any more time in hospitals recovering from injuries, not getting laid & trying to scrape the itchy scab off of my testicles with the hook on the end of rod the closes the blinds.

On Freeways & streets I ride assertively, carefully & fast.

I have read about people loving the Pirelli Angels, etc but was hoping for confirmation that adding the front tire with another Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 but am open to ideas & opinions.

Without throwing a curveball but a future possibility instead, talking with Koggs there was mention of adding a 200 on the rear.

Would I definitely need to get a matching brand tire on the front?

What happens when you throw a 200 on a 2016 Z1000, how does it change the handling characteristics?

Thank you Everyone ... View attachment 84650
I’m currently running the Michelin Power RS 190/55, great grip in the dry and good grip in the rain, I personally like these tries because I like corners and they give me feedback, those are in my opinion the best tires even though I heard the Michelin Power 5’s that just came out are better

·
Registered
88 Posts
These seem to tick all the bases but is this the right front tire combination? But I just saw the price - $600 installed or is that 2 pennies a mile or 1 penny every 5 miles?!!!!!

$600 for a set is crazy to me, which is why I don't bother with Pirelli's. Also, Cyclegear, probably not the place to buy tires. Not sure where in LA you are, but if you're willing to go out to Van Nuys area, there is MC Tire Works there which sells tires at the absolute manufacturer minimum price, usually about $30 cheaper per tire than Cyclegear. I think they install for $25 per if you buy the tires from them.

Also, the reason you're not finding 200 size tires in anything other than superbike tires, is because that size only came stock on bikes like the S1000RR and the Panigale V4, and no one is putting touring tires on those bikes, so the 200 size you're pretty much limited to the stickiest supersport tire. Maybe the Michelin Power 5's and Metzler M7RR come in that size and those are kinda in between supersport and touring.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'll prolly run the Avon Storm tires. 340 for the set. They're a sport touring tire that will get a little more mileage. Would hope for 5k-6k. And if I'm caught in the rain, they're good for that too.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Its your opinion a while back for one made me think about the 200.

And that the 180 had to come off.

Van Nuys is 45 minutes by car of 9 minutes by bike.

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Power RS is a very sticky tire and you should get you about 2.5-3k out of the rear and probably up to 4-5k miles from the front on our bikes. It costs $131 for the front $188 for the rear from MC tire works and you'd have a complete setup for less than $380 installed, out the door. You get the same performance as the Supercorsa SP (not the SC), for 2/3rd the price.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Power RS is a very sticky tire and you should get you about 2.5-3k out of the rear and probably up to 4-5k miles from the front on our bikes. It costs $131 for the front $188 for the rear from MC tire works and you'd have a complete setup for less than $380 installed, out the door. You get the same performance as the Supercorsa SP (not the SC), for 2/3rd the price.
Thats not a bad deal at all, but he could get something less sticky, that still suits his riding style and get a better milage out of the rear tire?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Never mind me.... just saw its in miles, i was thinking in kilometers

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
9 minutes by bike & you feel Alive & Vital.

45 minutes by car &;

1. Its cost you 8 times the investment per mile.
2. You are pissed off & frustrated, which is not unlike the Living Dead.
3. And you know it takes 45 minutes to return.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thank you guys, will call tomorrow.

They have such an excellent reputation.

Just so I get it right, which set do you recommend because there are several like the Avon 3D XM, AV 65 & 66, Spirit ST, etc.

Or should I just ask them, their opinion.

Anyone in LA want a used 180 with the Chicken Strips intact?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Going to ride over there today or Tuesday & get the Gospel - thank you, when I called the guy who answered the phone directed me to the 190 Rear & I said "No, I was on the forum & everyone suggested the 200 upgrade..."

Better to take the bike in, its worth the ride.

In fact, I welcome riding over there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Doc,.... I gotta be honest with you here

I think you're making a mistake going with the 200.

I think you'd be better off with a 190/55

.... but that's just my opinion

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I appreciate that Jimz, what is the consensus you see here?

I certainly don't want to tamper with lowering the rear height as Comfysofa suggested.

But it seems Koggs had some positive experiences in the past with the 200,* & everyone is against the 180.

Might have been a different motorcycle, as it is, i dont want to tinker with a twitchy bike.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have only seen one other go with a 200. I like the idea and would go with it -for me.

I think you should go with what came off of it. 190/50 or 190/55. 190/55 will have an easier 'tip in' when cornering. Will probably make the bike feel a little lighter steering, which is great.

You're the one riding it. To simplify things, just go with the stock size on a Michelin tire. They are very good tires and will treat you nice.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
KOGGS;
I don't think you'll gain or lose anything going either direction. Sportmax is a good tire. ...even if you got the 'baby' version of it!! hehe!!

Us men will be on the 190's. haha!

UNGRARISCH
here is my crude MS Paint drawing that explains the concept, it's a bit exaggerated for illustration purposes.

Assuming that rim width (shown in black) stay the same, the narrower tire (shown in red) will reduce contact path size (show in blue) while at max lean angle, the opposite is true for larger tires. And again the opposite is true for center tread contact.

However, when you go larger in size the tire physically becomes taller changing the geometry of the bike, pushing weight bias towards the front and reducing the steering head angle and trail, which are not necessarily a bad thing, but typically not desirable for a street bike because it make it quick steering and twitchy.

THEN UNGRARISCH'S COOL GRAPHIC

dwg-png.84589 (1925×806v)

KOGGS,
Next set will have a 200 on the rear for sure. Gotta try it at least oncee! A guy on here ..Pashnit, I think, had a 200 on his and he drags a knee in corners. but like I said, for me it's about the beef.

Okay, a 190 it is.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I originally used a 190/50 profile and I raised the fork tubes 5mm in the clamps.
When I went to a 190/55 i went to 2mm fork height.

Both were much better than stock.

There's more than one way to skin that cat

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I assume the Bike mechanic can do that for me - the 5mm difference requires that level of adjustment?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Koggs are you reading this, in the meantime I will ride around like a ***** & cover my rear tire when parking with my jacket.

I might even lose my mind & all the nerves in my Ass & ride up there to your rainy place once both new tires are installed.

Does it make that much difference on a 2016 Jimz?

I got to get an Ohlins shock, its not cool riding like a Pro, hitting a small bump & being transported to your tank, testicle first.

Maybe my bike needs a fork adjustment, I am frequently being bumped like this, to the front, its as though the bike already has too much force being centered on the front.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

41 - 60 of 124 Posts