Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you Gentlemen,

If I was to be practical & put on a Dunlop GPR300 on the back in a size 200.

Forget it, the GPR300 does NOT come in a 200 rear!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I too recommend that you don't mix brands front to rear tire. If just got the Dunlops for your rear, stick with that brand/model for your front.

I also recommend that you get the stickiest tire you can afford / put up with. What's you threshold for tire life? 5k miles, 3k mile, 800 miles? Whatever it is get a tire that last just about as long and not more, and avoid getting touring tires just because you don't ride like a 20 year old. Simple fact is that sticky tires give you A LOT for margin of error, even for just street riding. Imagine the hypothetical where a car pull out of a driveway in front you, you quickly counter steer to avoid and go around, a Supecorsa would grip and the bike would flick onto it's side and you'd be able to go around it, whereas on a sport touring tire, especially one designed for a 700 pound FJR, a quick counter steer would buckle the front and you'd be a hood ornament.

Persoanlly, my threshold for tire life is pretty low, I ride primarily track and canyons, I maybe put 2-3k miles on this particular bike per year and 2 sets of tires per year is perfectly reasonable for me. That's why I go with the Michelin Cup2's, it's the stickiest DOT tire available right now but last maybe 800-1200 miles only. I know that would be unacceptable to most people, but you can go the next step down from that, something like a Supercorsa SP or Power GP(RS) or RS11 and you'd be able to get 2500-3000 miles from a set while getting 90% of the grip of the DOT race tire and you have a bike glued to the pavement under all conditions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen,

If I was to be practical & put on a Dunlop GPR300 on the back in a size 200.

Forget it, the GPR300 does NOT come in a 200 rear!
The Dunlop Q3+ is a great tire. And if you shop around you can get a set of front and rear for only $250 installed. That's how much my neighbor paid for his 120/180 combo.

a 200 width will change your geometry siginifcantly from your current 180/55. The back of the bike will be about an inch higher, which generally is a good thing since these bikes are set up with pretty lazy steering geometry. You're just going to have to get used to the quicker steering because coming from a 180, it's going to feel like the bike is falling into turns without effort. The downside is you're going to have massive chicken strips compared to a 180 🙃

·
Registered
190 Posts
especially one designed for a 700 pound FJR,
As for the Angels, there is an "A" spec which is recommended for the FJR and Concours

I think it has stiffer (thicker?) sidewalls

Angel GT's come stock on the KTM 1290 GT, and that doesn't need expensive upgrades for high end performance, 175+HP on a sub 500 lb bike, that's a fast bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
By the way, what is a chicken strip?
The chicken strip is the edge of the tire which never gets used (by some) and you can see it has no abrasion markings. It still looks new. How far from the edge of the tire is the strip, the chicken is he who is afraid to lean it over and use that part of the tire.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'll have to go check my strips. They seem to get bigger as the years go on. To my defense tho, I haven't been on my bike for a while now. Too much going on at home :(

I personally would dig having the fatty on the back. Didn't think of the extra height tho. -tnx. Might stick with a 200/50. Who knows what I'll do. I usually just replace'm with what came off.

However, I do like beef :cool:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The beauty of choices.

Because no matter what you put on a Z1000, Life only gets better ...

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
175hp on that proportioned bike, no wonder they are so popular - not as fast as a Z though or maybe it was the rider.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I guess when the owner of my bike saw the tire it had already been fully inflated.

But when I arrived unknowingly the squirrel behavior was due to less than10lbs in it.

He didn't know that. He only saw that all my chicken strips (aha), had been rubbed away.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Who makes the best 200 rear & front model combo & what should the front be.

Would a 200/17/55 be best or 17/60?

And then does that change the dynamics at the front end - what is that answer.

The Pirelli Angels at Cyclegear don't go any bigger than 190, same with the Dunlop GPR's & they don't sell the Corsa - 3000 miles to me is 4-8 days on the bike.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts