Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Z1000 of which I just replaced the rear stock tire with Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 in a 180 versus 190 size.

What do you recommend?

I am 58 years of age but become 15 again when I sit on my bike & turn the key but I ride like I am 22.

I want good tires for the rain, 4 days a year or perhaps, the best tires for 361 days a year.

I am not interested in riding balls out, laying the bike over & scraping my footpegs.

Or spending any more time in hospitals recovering from injuries, not getting laid & trying to scrape the itchy scab off of my testicles with the hook on the end of rod the closes the blinds.

On Freeways & streets I ride assertively, carefully & fast.

I have read about people loving the Pirelli Angels, etc but was hoping for confirmation that adding the front tire with another Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 but am open to ideas & opinions.

Without throwing a curveball but a future possibility instead, talking with Koggs there was mention of adding a 200 on the rear.

Would I definitely need to get a matching brand tire on the front?

What happens when you throw a 200 on a 2016 Z1000, how does it change the handling characteristics?

Thank you Everyone ...
20200223_101349_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
818 Posts
Personally i prefer the 200 section....bigger contact patch and youve got no chance of going off the side...currently got a 200/55 supercorsa on the rear of mine which is.....amazing...!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
I currently ride with dunlops sportmax roadsmart 3. Am 35 years old but feel like an 90 year old .

I dont do any crazy riding either, but i do prefer twisty roads over freeways. I'm very happy eith this set of tires. And heard from other that the gpr300 are pretty good aswel in all circumstances.

Personally i have always loved 190/55 because they are easier to turn in corners and bends compared to 50. But recently i read somewhere, if you like the feel of more contactpatch with a 200, you should try 200/60. Just throwing it out there as an option.

My next set will be metzeler m9rr. Heard got stories on its predecessor the m7rr. Thats just me wanting to try something new and get a feel for it myself

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
818 Posts
That i totally agree with...i tried m7rr`s on my RSV4 a few years back and in the first month it almost bucked me off (Highside) so took them straight off and put them on the zed.....worst set of tyres ive ever owned....always stepped out on corner exit from corners.....im not a rich man so i couldnt afford to change them...finally a nail in the rear killed them off prematurely - never been glad to see the back of those....last month a mate gave me a sportec m3 - so i thought....couldnt get another bad one....yep - even worse - it even span up in the dry and slid out on corners with literally no lean angle....ill never have another set of metzlers ever again...

Ill be trying some sticky dunlops next or Some S22`s...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've run the Michelin Pilot Road, the Dunlop Roadsmart, and the Pirelli Angel GT , and GT II.

The new GT II have treads that go in the direction of travel, and as such, they do follow the grooves in grooved pavement. If you find that unsettling, find a different tire.

I was disappointed in my Dunlops, as they developed dry-rot style cracking after 1 year of ownership. :(

I'll grab a photo later today.

I'd like to try Bridgestone's sport-touring tire, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you Gentlemen,

Please continue to share.

John, was your dry rot issue a result of you having too many bikes to ride (still no reason for that).

I live in LA, half the time I am riding on what we're once well maintained, fine road surfaces whereas now, I fight to not go where the imperfections try to take me.

========

Invitro, You got to get out of that Nanny State you live in & bring your Z1000 here for the summer. Next year I expect you to inform me that they have lowered the speed limits in certain areas to 50kmh. And they are applying cotton wool to all the barriers.

==========

Comfysofa. Did the guy who put the nail in that tire bear a close resemblance to you?

*******!

I like more contact patch & tread life..

I thought with the 180 I was getting that but my mechanic said a couple of days after the install its when you push it over, the 180 runs out of all contact which is something Koggs & others described.

I also like the idea of the 200 but does that change what tire I can install up front & how does that affect handling of a bike already with a short wheelbase, hard* rear suspension & description of "twitchy ..."

*I have now put close to 5000 miles on the bike in only about 12 rides & while the seat is uncomfortable & hard after a couple hundred miles, its the way you are looking cool & you hit a bump with the rear tire and your balls become part of the tank paint, you cannot see for the tears & you look like a newbie in Federal Prison Day 3

The only options are;

1. Adding the Ohlins

2. Getting Castrated

3. Or wearing a Cup which I did for one ride but it was hot, uncomfortable & not made for riding a Z1000 like a 58 year Hooligan.

Who of you added the Ohlins, I think all 3 correct, what do I need to order? Or is it not the significant a difference.

This is on a bike I have been advertising on Craigslist in LA & Cycletrader Nationwide for the last 5 months.

The problem is, I keep on raising the price because selling a bike invites a lot of idiots, the usual frauds & wannabe test riders - I have never, ever, let anyone test ride the bike, California Liability is a *****.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is where I need your expertise, I know the 180 was sold to me as more forgiving than the stock 190 .

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rear which only had 1800 miles on it was replaced with a Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 in a 180/55/17 configuration.

20200627_153647_resized(1).jpg

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know this is a tire thread but…
the seat is uncomfortable & hard after a couple hundred miles,
If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself take it to a custom bike shop and have the seat foam changed or have some added. I left the original foam in place and added a 1.5 inch layer of quality high density seat foam and it changed my mind about redoing the rear suspension. And much less expensive. I went to a custom car upholstery shop and grabbed some scrap foam and gave the guy $20 bill, that and the cost of a few staples for my staplegun made a world of difference.
Pic of the rough cut. I tapered it off with a large razor.

installed pic

Vs stock seat

·
Registered
818 Posts
Id still say 200 - and id say if your in a sunny climate definately a supercorsa....

The nail: not me well, not intentionally ( it was on the road ) tbh when i saw the nail i was a little bit relieved....i thought "thank **** i can get them off now..."

·
Registered
818 Posts
The rear which only had 1800 miles on it was replaced with a Dunlop Sportmax GPR300 in a 180/55/17 configuration.

View attachment 84653
To be honest i would never consider fitting an undersized tyre to a bike...always the stock or up by one (200 section in this case) - the only thing that you feel is a little different is it stands up a little on the rear putting you over the bars ever so slightly but, you could counter act that 2 ways by lowering the rear (only if youve got an aftermarket adjustable shock) or add a little preload to the front...

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am unhappy.

I was even more unhappy when I came on here & discovered the news.

If I raise my voice, they will at least give me a fair deal, I have nothing but praise for this shop.

I got there for the 4000 mile service thinking the rear is a little squirrelly & could we change the rear tire only to find a nail & just 10lbs of pressure left.

First they pumped the tire up & when he saw it, all the tread was worn down ar the edges - he looked at me anew with such respect & I didn't correct him.

======

Jimz do you think or were later informed you got a bad batch of Dunlops?

=====

Comfysofa I don't really want to screw with the shock, I love my bike but the seat (thank you 2 wheels*), combined with the rear shock & the fact that as we age our testicles are like our sons, they drift further & further away until they find you again whenever there is trouble. Would you swap out the shock if you went to a bigger tire?

*$800 is outrageous for one of the new seats & day one of ownership I paid my Upholstery guy $40 & he took off the Gay Day Glo rear vinyl & put on black.

======

You guys are super riders & I am asking for the best compromise here of;

a. What is the safest combination?

b. And the best wearing, of the sticky tires?

c. Knowing I don't throw it into corners?

d. And if I am going to ride in the wet,* I want safety?

e. The roads here are becoming like the 4th World, there are more road snakes & channels here than Texas, especially in high
speed freeways, etc

*will probably never ride in the wet until its because I was surprised & cannot find dry until I get home.

1. Going back to the 190 & the same brand & model up front?

2. What would you recommend?

3. Can you change the front tire also & screw up?

4. Or go to a 200 & then do I need to change the front to compensate.
20200729_163054.jpg

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This combo?

https://www.motosport.com/product/?acctid=21700000001662562&adgroupid=76003962948&campaignid=1410227757&cc=us&channel=online&creative=336416834590&device=m&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007265446{ifpla:&ds_s_kwgid=58700005282221775&dskeywordid=92700046695568794&dsproductgroupid=653623226577&gclid=CjwKCAjw34n5BRA9EiwA2u9k3_vbPyZYBW-3Gx0nCzw4BXAyFOJoYJ3W8EVT3-qZr2RTMLmTWiRYKRoC6DUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&key=Pirelli-Diablo-Supercorsa-SP-V2-Tire-Combo&lid=92700046695568794&locationid={loc_phyiscal_ms}&matchtype=&merchid=348908&mrkgadid=3332267287&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=streettires&mrkgcl=500&mrkgen=gpla&network=g&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&product_id=PIR001Z-X001-Y001&psreferrer=https://www.google.com/&pssource=true&segment=badger-street&storeid={product_store_id}&targetid=pla-653623226577&variant=PIR001Z-X001-Y001&variant[PIR000I]=PIR000I-X001-Y001&variant[PIR000J]=PIR000J-X001-Y004

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Or this one in 200/60ZR17 80W [$340.99]?

What about the front tire?

At these prices do you get training wheels?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Make it a matching set and comfy is correct. The Pirelli Corsa tires may be the closest thing to a full on race tire you can get, they are sticky and performance oriented, great for track days or high performance street. "Corsa" means race in Italian.

But for me, who is not trying to scrape pegs every time I go out, a more "street able" tire is desired. My sport touring leaves me in the rain quite often, sometimes long stretches of flat road or even the spew that lies on the road in city streets. The corsa is not a good tire in the wet and will wear much more quickly from everyday use. If I had a dedicated canyon racer, track bike I would use the corsa's.

.... and it's for that combination of everyday use and when I am on a great road trying to push, that leaves me happy with the Pirelli Angels.

If I remember correctly, Comfy has an assortment of bikes at his disposal, he is not restricted to one bike for everything.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Avon Storm (me thinks) is the brand of tires I will go with next. If they don't have a 200/55 for the rear then I'll go with whoever makes that. (want to try a 55 series tire for the rear)

Pirelli perhaps, altho I too like the longer wearing tire but also like the quick to warm up tire. I always read the manufacturers blurb/info about their tire and read the reviews as well before I buy.

I'll keep the stock size tire up front and just go fat in the rear -lol! Same brand too. I don't like mixing brands.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Avon rear <---that link is for a tire that is wider but keeps the side profile - 50 as the stock rear tire. It's a 200/50 -read the description and see if it fits what you want.

Avon front <---this link is for the matching front.

Metzeler rear <---200/55 (don't go by the pic of the tire, it's a 180/65) Match it with a (brand) matching front 120/70. Check the V rating as well. W rating is for speeds above 149 or something like that. I opt for the V rating. I think most sport bike tires are V rated. Look at the ones on your bike.

Anyway, I would search more brands of tires to find out what my options would be -with what's available to me out there and the least expensive place to buy, but I hope that helps.

I remember last time I did this, I bought the tires through the place where I had them installed -since they lower the cost of mounting when you buy through them. I always bring up price matching -'will you match this price' too! They usually come close.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts