Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just though I'd share some suspension adjustments that, IMHO, are damn near nessecary for a stock Z1000.

Basically,as I have been told, from the factory, the Z1000 rear spring is setup for about a 200-250 pound rider, and the front is consistent with a 120-150 pound rider. With no compression adjustment, this basically turns the Z in a pitching and rolling, Wollowy mess when it's leaned over and you go for any kind of gas. Surprisingly enough, I've also found the stock settings to make the ride WORSE, believe it or not.

So basically, when you really want to do, is change the spring rates to suit your weight the riding style. However, the stock front spring can be adjusted using the preload adjusters, to stiffen the front a bit and throw some more weight toward the rear.

I'm assuming you all know how to measure static and dynamic sag. Or for that matter, what sag is. If you don't lemme know and I'll edit in a description.

My stock front had a static say of 30mm! And a dynamic of 45mm! Your average well adjusted sportbike will have about 12-15 static and 30-35ish dynamic for street use.

Generally, one turn of preload=1mm of sag. i turned my preload adjusters about one turn away from full preload. This gave me about 36mm dynamic sag. From there I found the range for rebound dampening (about 3.5 turns), and set it to a mid-point.

I took the bike out for a spirited ride and the difference was amazing! Previously, the suspension would get all out of order when I was really on it, now it is much more composed and predictable. And with regular riding, the suspension handles small bumps like they don't exist, and it ha does large bumps much better now. It used to dive really hard and wollow a bit afterword. Plush is the word I would use to describe it.

TL;DR? Stock setup has weak front springs. Buy some new ones for your weight or Do as best as you can with the adjusters.

A simple 20 minute minimal setup has had huge benefits for me, just thought I'd share!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i weigh 170lbs. & have mine pretty stiff. going over big bumps it jars my *** off the seat. but in the curves i think its about as good as it can be. i know its not a repliracer but have no complaints with the handling. is static sag rider on bike & dynamic no rider?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Static is no rider, just weight of the bike on the suspension. Dynamic is with rider (dynamic=changes. Different riders different weighs).

I get the *** *** jarring from the rear end aswell. I had about 110 pounds on my rear seat the other day and the jarring was ALOT less. I think it has to do with that rear spring being to much for my weight (about 170 when geared up).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to race tech's website, the front spring is .85, and the rear is 1.05.

Basically, the front is setup for a 140 pound rider, and the rear is setup for a 290 pound rider. I'll be ordering a new set over the winter, methinks.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
would it b better to do the 636 front end swap or get mined revalved with stiffer springs?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I havenot done the 636 swap personally, but.....

The 636's main advantage is having compression adjustment. If your serious about track riding and want to tweak down to the smallest detail, you need compression adjustment.

If you buy new springs for your Z, get new fork oil and change the valving, there's really no reason why it would be any worse that a 636 setup (perhaps better, as you have new springs and oil, as opposed to 6-8 year old springs and oil. You will lack that compression adjustability, but if you aren't racing, I'm not sure how much you'll miss it.

Personally, I think I'm just gonna get new springs and oil.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I could have sworn my manual said it was set up for a 150# rider, which is what I weight, have mine set to the factory setting and the thing corners just as good as my ZX6R:dontknow:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe the Spring rates are different on the 03-04 models? I'll look'em up after work and see. My Z was a replacement for my 03 636 which was stolen last year, and it never wollow'd like my Z did when I got it. Firs time it happened i thought "what did i get myself into!"I never played with the settings on the 636 but after doing a little reading I messed around with the Z's settings and it seemed to help. Just wanted to share incase anyone else had the same problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts