Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Me and my buddie went to deals gap for the first time last week. On the second day, we saw our neighbor from the resort crash, and then I crashed. I'll post pics of the damage and rebuild once parts come in (mostly cosmetic, I put new bars on the bike and rode for another 2 days).

First crash is at 2:00, second at 6:00. All shot with goPro, first sequence is helmet cam on me, following my friend (02 f4i), second sequence is him following me with the gopro on the front of his bike.

I've got hours of footage, I'm gonna edit up a really good video, but this is just the crash highlights reel. Expect a full video in the next few days.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/Untitled.wmv

This pic was taken two days later:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
sorry to hear about ur crash. atleast u didnt get hurt. hope u get ujr bike fixed soon.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to hear about ur crash. atleast u didnt get hurt. hope u get ujr bike fixed soon.
Thanks man. She was plenty ridable, so I stil had a blast for the next few days. Deals gap is amazing. Plastics are in their way, cost me about $400 for new tail plastics, undertail, MAP sensor, and a kickstand (bent). In about a week, she should be all Minty again :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, she sure will. Like they say tho, there's two kinds of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down. I figured I earned my dragon sticker, lol. I can't wait to go back tho....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you make it sound like a badge of honor. i would be sick if i crashed my ZED. it is good that you came out of it OK
Bikes can be replaced, I cannot :). Obviously I would have rather not gone down, but I did. Might as well see if for what it is, bike only cracked some Plastic and bent a handlebar. I walked away unscathed and learned a lesson I won't soon forget. Could have been alot worse, those are power transmission lines in that valley. Coulda totaled the bike, or died, so I feel like this time I got off easy :)

I know I'm not the first, or last person to make a mistake.

Hope you guys enjoy the video :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bikes can be replaced, I cannot :). Obviously I would have rather not gone down, but I did. Might as well see if for what it is, bike only cracked some Plastic and bent a handlebar. I walked away unscathed and learned a lesson I won't soon forget. Could have been alot worse, those are power transmission lines in that valley. Coulda totaled the bike, or died, so I feel like this time I got off easy :)

I know I'm not the first, or last person to make a mistake.

Hope you guys enjoy the video :)
agreed, its all apart of riding. What happened?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
agreed, its all apart of riding. What happened?
I'm pretty rear brake heavy since my dirtbike. It's something I'm working on. I grabbed way to much rear, and the wheel started to hop. I compounded that mistake by pulling in the clutch. Then the tire locked up. It's all a little hazy, but looks like I tried to ride it out. Actually, looking at the video, I held that slide all the way to the dirt, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
First, where the first guy crashed is where I got hit head on in 07. Second what the crap happened to you that's not even a sharp turn, was you day dreaming or what. You think its funny but thats how people get killed by inexperience riders going over there head at a place they don"t know. I will be at the gap on Sept 3rd-6th come back up and I will show you how to ride the dragon the right way. Not crossing lanes. Sorry to see you go down but just be more concentrate of others next time :mad:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude we passed on a straight away where there was a clear view of the road ahead. The people we passed where our neighboors at the resort, who we were riding with, they had no objections. The wide angle of the gopro might be fooling your eye but there was plenty of room for the pass. Unless I'm mistaken, that is the only time I crossed a lane, for a pass on a straight section, around some friends.

The guy on the cruiser cut a lane and my friend decided to follow him. Listen close and you can here me go "ohhh...!!", clearly I did not approve. And I didn't cut that corner either. We talked about that later at the resort.

The gap is not a race track, it's a public road. You can see we aren't doing anything crazy, just enjoying are bikes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
"Not crossing lanes" Number one rule in my book! Not that I've never done it but it is the first thing we tell every group we ride with. Sometimes it is hard to stay back and follow somebody doing 10 to 20 mph on a Sunday drive in their Mini-Van. It tends to ruin you ride and making it impossible to do a little canyon carving. But they are riding their ride and enjoying their day just like you are even if they're in a Mini-Van. The real pisser is when they know they are holding you up and refuse to pull over in a turnout time after time and let traffic go by. I try to tell everyone to think about stopping and letting them get way ahead of you instead of passing in a no passing zone. From what I've seen riding for a little over a year in the canyons of California is almost everyone does it at one point or another. Shoot we were riding down Mulholland Drive about 20 riders deep just puttin' and minding our own business when a BMW came flying through our group and about 2 miles later a couple of HD's started pushing us from the back. The first thing that came over our radios was the heads up they were coming and not to let them push you over your comfort level. I find it kinda funny that if you/most people where driving in their cars they wouldn't think of passing over a double yellow line. Besides, this is California and there will probably be another car in front of you within a mile or two anyway...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We were behind them the for a while, you can see where I edited the video. They didn't want to pull off. We do sit out and wait, at times. However, as shown in the video, this was a prime time to pass. I don't even know why this is still even being discussed, that was the only time we were outside our lane. The ONLY time, for a pass on a straight section. Neither us, or the cruiser riders were harmed by it. And it played no role in either crash. Both crashes were due to pilot error, and both me and rob (guy on the custom yamaha) talked it over that night at the resort. We're both from Chicago actually :). He rode his bike 900miles home the next day. I have a Z, but I'm a whimp, and trailer'd it, lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow dude, glad to see you were okay. The way the bike tumbled I was surprised to see the next day footage. I have also noticed that I have a heavy foot and use my rear brake WAY more than I should. But for some reason with this bike it seems almost impossible not to be heavy on the rear.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah man, thanks! I thought she was a goner. I think somebody upstairs likes me, lol, or my bike.

Maybe if i throw some HH Pads in the fronts it'll help my use them more for stopping, haha, as opposed to rears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts