Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went with black! Got a great deal on a leftover '10 and am really looking forward to more upright miles on a logical hi-mileage bike! I have ~45,000 miles on my '07 CBR 600RR and she'll be as happy as me to put miles on the zed!

Although the CBR is heavily modded, I only plan on the following for the Z:

*Fender elim
*Integrated tail light (Tuner X -- on its way)
*Swing arm spools (Woodcraft)
*V&H Urban Brawler pipes (black -- back orderd until May??)
*Crash protection -- frame/fork sliders if they make them
*Black levers (I'm loyal to ASV)
*Mirrors (I'm about to kick in the stomach the next person that says they look like a bug's antennae :lol:)

Question to all:

1) I really like the targa style fender elim but at $80, my polish *** can't justify the purchase amount especially since I'll be ditching the blinkers anyway. Anybody have trick looking home-made brackets? I can use the OEM tag bracket, I just need a custom mount from OEM bracket to bike.

2) Mirrors!!! I think I'm shying away from bar-end mirrors for TWO reasons: don't want blurry images from vibrations and I don't want to move my entire head to look DOWN at the mirrors. I'm a mirror guy indefinitely and fell unsafe when they're not useful while in my peripheral vision. Any custom ones that use the OEM mirror location?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer and am looking forward to being a member!! :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Went with black! Got a great deal on a leftover '10 and am really looking forward to more upright miles on a logical hi-mileage bike! I have ~45,000 miles on my '07 CBR 600RR and she'll be as happy as me to put miles on the zed!

*Fender elim
*Mirrors (I'm about to kick in the stomach the next person that says they look like a bug's antennae :lol:)

Question to all:

1) I really like the targa style fender elim but at $80, my polish *** can't justify the purchase amount especially since I'll be ditching the blinkers anyway. Anybody have trick looking home-made brackets? I can use the OEM tag bracket, I just need a custom mount from OEM bracket to bike.

2) Mirrors!!! I think I'm shying away from bar-end mirrors for TWO reasons: don't want blurry images from vibrations and I don't want to move my entire head to look DOWN at the mirrors. I'm a mirror guy indefinitely and fell unsafe when they're not useful while in my peripheral vision. Any custom ones that use the OEM mirror location?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer and am looking forward to being a member!! :eek:ccasion:
Funny you should ask - I was just reading another post about home made fender eliminator kits! Here you go!

http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z1000-appearance-modifications/117822-fender-eliminator-kit.html

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I like all R&G products...BUT kinda pricey! I may have to just spend a little more to DO IT RIGHT!

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts

*Fender elim

Question to all:

I have a set of ride it moto bar end mirrors and they are the best mirrors I've ever use. no vibs what so ever, and all you do is look left or right, you see what's behind you not your shoulders. Just saying

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
now having bar end mirrors i would never go back to the stock style . if they work they stick out to far and are ugly. if they look good they do not stick out far enough. i am old school and it took me a while to talk myself into bar end mirrors. glad i did. i tried maybe 3 replacement mirrors before i just gave up using them. if i took my bar end mirrors off i would just go back to stock [ UGLY].

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And yes, if they stick out too far I will ditch these for the bar end mirrors. I really want to try and stick with something "easier" and quicker to look at...I know we're talking about splitting seconds, but sometimes that's literally what you need to avoid an issue...

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'll be honest - I really like some of the aftermarket mirrors (have you seen what Rizoma is putting out as far as mirrors go? Check the Circuit 751 model - SICK!) - but I have experienced that none of them are worth a sh** when it comes to actually needing to see behind you. Either they are smaller than the stock ones and give you a better view of your shoulders than the stock mirrors, , or they are just too big and stick out too far.

So, I got the CRG 2" Blindside bar end mirrors. $50 for each side. I just got the left side - state minimum to be legal. It cleans up the bike too - takes everything off the front end so it looks even more aggresive. Thats one of the reasons I wont put a taller screen on it either - muddies up the appearance, as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with you on the taller screen. I think that about ALL machines...I used to be heavy into snowmobiles and nothing shouts "Look at me, I'm an old grandpa" like a tall screen!!! Hahaha

Yeah, I ordered the most recent mirrors I posted. I "photoshopped" a pic using paint...I know, lame. But I wanted an "idea" of what they'd look like...hopefully I have the size to scale:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts