Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 and I'm not very good when it comes to working on bikes. Im trying to learn but I'm only 18. I recently traded my stock pipes with dan moto pipes (which I love) and got a K&N air filter. When i downshift there is always backfire which I'm not sure is a bad thing or not. Also the bike is really laggy until about 3k rpms which didn't happen before the new pipes. I know that my bike is lean because the pipes and i don't have a pc3. But is this bad for it? I don't have money for a pc3 because I'm a broke college student but i don't want to ruin my bike by running it too lean. I was just wondering if this is bad for it. I spend a lot of money on this bike and I just don't want anything ruined. what do you suggest?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
dont think it will hurt it, probably not the best for it especially with it getting colder. mainly u will just have flat spots in the power until u get a fuel controller with a good map.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
if u block off the cool air injection hose that runs from top of valve cover to airbox, all of the popping will go away. did on mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up a 2003 Z recently and the previous owner had gutted and 3/5 chopped stock pipes, and an K&N air filter installed. I put some stock pipes on it and put the stock air filter back in and it runs *much* smoother. I know it was running lean and I too had no PC. It feels like it runs stronger down low now and seems to pull just as hard up top, plus its way smoother since it no longer runs lean. My $.02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the new exhaust a full or slip on system? A PC not only adds fuel a points but will also take away fuel at points over stock. My 03 Z and 03 speed would always give a decel pop. Never the less fuel managment is in order. For the short term you should be fine. You spent the money to get the performance of the exhaust and air filter, to get the fullest get a pc when you can afford it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts