Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Long time lurker, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a MY20 Z1000 in December after holding on hope for too long that Kawa will come out with a 5th gen Z

It's booked in for its first service in a couple of weeks, once that's done I'll be putting a full 4-1 exhaust on it as I'm not really a big fan of the dual setup.

So far I've been loving it, I came from a Ninja 300 so I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face whenever I get on the throttle of the Z 馃榿

Here's a quick snap of it, so far I've swapped out the mirrors and put a tail tidy on:

Registered
yeah, I too have been hoping for a 5th gen, or at least a 4th gen Z with modern electronics. The Ninja 1000 got all new electronics, so I don't understand why we can't get it on the Z since it;s practically the same bike.

The 4th gen Z still looks like a modern bike, it just needs about 25 more hp, with an up and down quickshifter and some contemporary IMU based electronics, along with a proper rear shock and maybe the latest Showa BFF forks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I too have been hoping for a 5th gen, or at least a 4th gen Z with modern electronics. The Ninja 1000 got all new electronics, so I don't understand why we can't get it on the Z since it;s practically the same bike.

The 4th gen Z still looks like a modern bike, it just needs about 25 more hp, with an up and down quickshifter and some contemporary IMU based electronics, along with a proper rear shock and maybe the latest Showa BFF forks.
Pretty much... there isn't much needed to "update" it, just a few small things would make it a very mean machine to compete with the others in the super naked class.

For now I'll stick with modding my 4th gen, exhaust, quickshifter and tune are planned soon

Registered
Nice. Congrats. I see you've jumped up from a Ninja 300. Done any training/track days? Highly recommended for something this big, and especially if you are considering go-fast parts like exhausts. Invest in your riding and you'll be enjoying bikes for years to come...

Registered
Sweet looking Z man. Welcome along to the forum. It's kinda quiet compared to some,but loads of great info on mods etc.

Registered
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand why it's so difficult to upgrade the Z with the new Ninja electronics. I have a few theories though.
  1. The Z1000 is not a great seller for Kawasaki and never has been. The Z900 outsells it 4 to 1 from the dealerships I've talked to. This would make Kawi reluctant to spend any money on development.
  2. The Ninja 1000 is more of a touring motorcycle and a lot of it's electronics are tuned accordingly.
Like I said, still agree with you. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Registered
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand why it's so difficult to upgrade the Z with the new Ninja electronics. I have a few theories though.
  1. The Z1000 is not a great seller for Kawasaki and never has been. The Z900 outsells it 4 to 1 from the dealerships I've talked to. This would make Kawi reluctant to spend any money on development.
  2. The Ninja 1000 is more of a touring motorcycle and a lot of it's electronics are tuned accordingly.
Like I said, still agree with you. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
In the US Kawi stopped selling the Z1000 at the end of 2016, so we haven't had one for over 4 years now. In Canada and EU I know they still do sell it, but largely unchanged from the original 2014 model with the exception of Brembo M50 calipers, and Ohlins shock on the R models. I would be surprised if the Z900 outsold the Z1000 by only 4 to 1. I would have thought it was more like 15 to 1.

If you look at our Ninja 1000 sister forum, there is way more action on there on a daily basis. Which leads me to believe that the Ninja again outsells the Z by a massive margin, hence why the user base is so much larger and more active.

I think Kawi see's the Z-H2 as the replacement for the Z1000, at least here in the US though I don't agree with that. And the Z900 is too budget to be a Z1000 replacement.

I think the main reason they are not coming out with a new Z1000 is because the 1043cc engine can never really compete with the current crop of super-nakeds in it's current form, and they are not going to update the engine to have it make more power because then that engine would not fit the required characteristics of the Ninja 1000 and Versys 1000 which share the same engine. What I think Kawi should really do is build a true naked version ZX10r. That is literally what every single competitor is doing currently. I'd buy that bike!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice. Congrats. I see you've jumped up from a Ninja 300. Done any training/track days? Highly recommended for something this big, and especially if you are considering go-fast parts like exhausts. Invest in your riding and you'll be enjoying bikes for years to come...
Cheers! I did previously do a few days of intermediate/advanced riding training, yet to do a track day but very keen to get on one. I've ridden a few big bikes before (MT-10, R1, ZX10R, S1000RR) so knew what I was getting in to, definitely felt like a big jump though in the first couple of weeks of riding, mainly around the physical size and weight difference, but it feels very natural to ride now.

Registered
Maybe that should be your next project. build a salvage zx10r into a z1000 configuration?? i鈥檝e considered it, but for reasons i won鈥檛 get into just won鈥檛 happen unfortunately.

I am not so sure the engine is the limitation on the Z 1000. If they significantly increase the size of the throttle bodies/carbs it would make a big difference and drop curb weight to 440lbs or less. would definitely want traction control at that point. i think the stock hp is right at the limit where you don鈥檛 need it though provided sticky tires are installed on the bike.

also, here is the like to the service manuals...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Kawi see's the Z-H2 as the replacement for the Z1000, at least here in the US though I don't agree with that. And the Z900 is too budget to be a Z1000 replacement.
Pretty much! The dealer tried to talk me into a Z900 as they didn't carry active stock of the Z1000 (it had to be special ordered) Aesthetically, I really couldn't make the change from the Z1000 to Z900, it just doesn't look as good in my opinion. The Z-H2 is a mean bike, and I would have been tempted by it but I also didn't really like the styling of it. A Z1000 with a Z-H2 powerplant would be ultimate in my opinion!

Registered
....but I also didn't really like the styling of it. A Z1000 with a Z-H2 powerplant would be ultimate in my opinion!
Pretty much everyone in the world has this sentiment. If the ZH-2 had the Z1000 front end styling it would have been a smash hit. Now it's just an awkward looking semi-naked bike and really the only thing going for it is that there's a supercharger on it.

I mean look at the Ducati StreetFighter, it basically has a Z1000 headlight on it, and everyone is in love with it's front end.

I think there has been a shift in management in Kawasaki design in the last 5 years. The stuff they were putting out pre-2016 was probably the best looking of any of the 4 japanese brands.

Registered
I agree the Z900 is too budget. I also found it way to cramped for long rides. I had one and upgraded it from it to the Z1000R. To me though the bike where Kawasaki has hit the sweet spot is the Z900RS. It's got just enough go and all the quality bits. If they'd applied what the did to the RS to the Z900, they'd be onto a winner.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got to enjoy the Z for a while... before a blind corner washed out with gravel caught me off guard and I put the bike into a guard rail.

Lucky to mostly walk away from it with a few broken but now repaired bones. The bike was totaled though, gory pics attached...

Insurance has organised a brand new replacement for me, I'll be picking it up next week and will get to restart my journey.

Salvage auction for the old bike is coming up later this month, I might try to buy it back if the price is right as there are a lot of good parts on it... including the 745mile young engine which I barely broke in.

Registered
Sorry about your wreck, but you seemed to have come out of it intact so I'm glad about that.

The front wheel and tail section appear damaged, scuffs on the tank, are the forks bent ?

Any protective gear stories you wish to share ? Anything you wish you had or hadn't worn ? Just being nosey.

If you do get the salvage title, this is place has a "For Sale" section

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry about your wreck, but you seemed to have come out of it intact so I'm glad about that.

The front wheel and tail section appear damaged, scuffs on the tank, are the forks bent ?

Any protective gear stories you wish to share ? Anything you wish you had or hadn't worn ? Just being nosey.

If you do get the salvage title, this is place has a "For Sale" section
Not sure on the extent of the damage, I haven't actually seen the bike in person as I spent a couple of weeks in hospital whilst the bike was being assessed and written off as scrap. I'm going to try and arrange inspection before the auction starts so I can have a look myself.

As far as gear goes, I'm glad I had a well fitted helmet. The force of the impact knocked me out and gave me amnesia, if it wasn't for the helmet I'd be dead. It has made for a good souvenir from the accident:

Here's the bike a few days prior to the accident

Registered
That sucks. A good time for a PSA for us to watch the **** out for those neighborhood dopes who like to blow their grass trimmings onto the road.

Registered
Not sure on the extent of the damage, I haven't actually seen the bike in person as I spent a couple of weeks in hospital whilst the bike was being assessed and written off as scrap. I'm going to try and arrange inspection before the auction starts so I can have a look myself.

As far as gear goes, I'm glad I had a well fitted helmet. The force of the impact knocked me out and gave me amnesia, if it wasn't for the helmet I'd be dead. It has made for a good souvenir from the accident:

View attachment 85709

Here's the bike a few days prior to the accident

View attachment 85710
looks like your Shark helmet did the job. i have two. best helmet i鈥檝e ever owned/used. their internal 鈥渞ib鈥 design makes for one of the safest helmets on the market. does a phenomenal job of absorbing impact energy compared to the competition.

[

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has been a while but I did get a new Z to replace the wrecked one. The old bike went to auction but I missed the bidding due to work meetings... the final sell price for the whole wreck was <$300! - Disappointing to miss out on such a cheap parts bike but I'm happy to be back riding again anyway.

Here's the new Z, as it currently sits.

De-decaled (I hate stickers, currently deciding if the rim tape stays or goes)
Tail tidy/indicators
Shorty brake/clutch levers
Bar end mirrors
$50 slip on while I wait for a full system to ship from overseas (thanks COVID)
Couple of other bits and bobs, GB racing covers, frame plugs, etc

Next up is new bars (pro taper evo low), exhaust system (CS racing) and tune.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts