Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had any comparable experience with mufflers that utilise a smaller can (along the lines of SC Project, Austin Racing, Leo Vince).

I've recently fitted Delkevic headers to my 2016 Z and as much as I absolutely love the look of Brawlers, it is unbearable to ride, even with baffles. I felt like i was losing my hearing by the minute.

I've since refit my old akras but I really dont like the look of the big cans that are the akras, and would like something smaller.

Are the smaller can mufflers going to make that much difference compared to the brawlers? Or are they going to be quite similar?

Ideally I'd love not to fork out a thousand bucks just to be in the same place as I am with the brawlers. There's only so much you can get from youtube videos.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yep - been there, done that.....first question what are the headers....stock or aftermarket? and what manufacturer if they are?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are Delkevic 4-2 headers. I'm thinking I should have just bought their full system but I wasn't a huge fan of their mufflers.

The bike had stock headers and the akra mufflers when I bought it. I later bought a set of brawlers, purely for the fact I love the look of them. Going from the akras to the brawlers i noticed a change in tone but overall didn't really seem that much louder, or atleast hadn't hit the sound I like.

Later on I bought the Delkevics and fitted them with brawlers and it was just painful to be honest. I guess no amount of advice would have stopped me from giving it a crack though haha, but it was legit the loudest street bike I have ever heard. I like the throaty bark that it had but i would have gone deaf if I kept that configuration.

I ended up buying some db killers which made it go from absolutely intolerable to borderline tolerable. I've since put the akras back on just to preserve my hearing but I'm not much a fan of the look or the sound of these cans.

I'm hopeful that I don't need to decide between the stock or Delk headers just make it look the way I want.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Well, ive had twin exit arrows with brawlers on the end which as you say was deafening, even with the db killers...nice thing about the arrows is all the parts can be bought as individual parts - i was up in the air with the twin pipes so bought the single exit collector...then i had a stubby austin can, sc project bean can and then tried the akra from my rsv4 which was shortened by 100mm so not stubby but not full length....out of all the pipes ive had thats the best - loud when it needs to be and when not being caned quiet and at idle glugs quietly. Thats my 2 cents....

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
43 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had any comparable experience with mufflers that utilise a smaller can (along the lines of SC Project, Austin Racing, Leo Vince).

I've recently fitted Delkevic headers to my 2016 Z and as much as I absolutely love the look of Brawlers, it is unbearable to ride, even with baffles. I felt like i was losing my hearing by the minute.

I've since refit my old akras but I really dont like the look of the big cans that are the akras, and would like something smaller.

Are the smaller can mufflers going to make that much difference compared to the brawlers? Or are they going to be quite similar?

Ideally I'd love not to fork out a thousand bucks just to be in the same place as I am with the brawlers. There's only so much you can get from youtube videos.
I went exactly the same route as you. Brawlers were OK with the standard headers but ridiculous when I fitted Black Widow headers.
The Akras sounded great with the new headers but they are too big and I hate the look of carbon fibre. A long hard search took me to Scorpion Red Power.
They sound great with the baffles in. One day I'll get round to trying them with them out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember buying urban brawlers the first few months of ownership (after installing Arrow headers), and then immediately ebaying them off and getting Mivvs.. Weren't they (brawlers) basically straight pipes? Unless I am mixing up my memories or unless they made "improvements" after 2015. If it is indeed the straight pipe urban brawler, then it is safe to assume any short muffler with ACTUAL muffling properties will work out better than brawlers with after market headers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went exactly the same route as you. Brawlers were OK with the standard headers but ridiculous when I fitted Black Widow headers.
The Akras sounded great with the new headers but they are too big and I hate the look of carbon fibre. A long hard search took me to Scorpion Red Power.
They sound great with the baffles in. One day I'll get round to trying them with them out.
That is a nice small can, is it substantially better than the brawlers? Hows the sound?

Well, ive had twin exit arrows with brawlers on the end which as you say was deafening, even with the db killers...nice thing about the arrows is all the parts can be bought as individual parts - i was up in the air with the twin pipes so bought the single exit collector...then i had a stubby austin can, sc project bean can and then tried the akra from my rsv4 which was shortened by 100mm so not stubby but not full length....out of all the pipes ive had thats the best - loud when it needs to be and when not being caned quiet and at idle glugs quietly. Thats my 2 cents....
those austin and sc projects are up my alley in terms of looks, but bloody expensive over here in aus. What are your thoughts on those? I agree the akra checks those boxes but the look of them just isnt for me on this bike, atleast the cans ive got here.

I remember buying urban brawlers the first few months of ownership (after installing Arrow headers), and then immediately ebaying them off and getting Mivvs.. Weren't they (brawlers) basically straight pipes? Unless I am mixing up my memories or unless they made "improvements" after 2015. If it is indeed the straight pipe urban brawler, then it is safe to assume any short muffler with ACTUAL muffling properties will work out better than brawlers with after market headers.
Yep that is them, as straight thru as they come.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The bean cans are too loud - sc project and austin....as i say a 100mm shortened single akra is the best....(for me anyway) put it this way... mine consistantly gets through a uk MOT test with no advisory about noise (with a full system and no db killer in there) !!

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
43 Posts
They sound fine. Not as deep as the Akras but you're never going to get that with a shorter can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts