Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after the mods i have done to my z, my mileage went from 44 mpg to 38. a significant loss in economy but its still damn good. well worth it for the power i have gained.:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
also take into account the fact that with these mods makes you wanna twist the wrist more often and harder - so less MPG. I've only had my '07 for 5 weeks now and on a 650km trip home I got 54-57mpg. Recently with shorter trips over my favourite roads (about a 200km round trip) I'm getting around 32mpg. Only thing changed is my riding style from cruise to road/race mode.

Maso. Oz.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
after the mods i have done to my z, my mileage went from 44 mpg to 38. a significant loss in economy but its still damn good. well worth it for the power i have gained.:cool:
MIne is still 37mpg, which is what I have always gotten..... even before the mods. :dontknow:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm getting 42-45mpg, no mods

·
Registered
117 Posts
No mods and this is the first tank that I am trying to calculate. Right now I am at 110 miles and have 2 bars left. We will see today when I fill up. Keep in mind, most of my driving is in town.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I just filled up with 2 bars 109.8 miles and took 3.087 gallons for 35.57 miles per gallon on 91 octane. This fill up I am on 89 octane to see the difference. I know I will NOT go back to 87, engine is WAY too noisy. Not really pinging but can definitely hear more valve noise.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have run 87/89 octane in my '03 for over 30k miles...... I think you are over thinking the octane ratings. Its just an anti knock rating.... it doesn't give you more HP, make you run faster or jump higher....Its your money, you do what you like.

On a different note, I do usually always fill up at a "top tier fuel certified" station.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have run 87/89 octane in my '03 for over 30k miles...... I think you are over thinking the octane ratings. Its just an anti knock rating.... it doesn't give you more HP, make you run faster or jump higher....Its your money, you do what you like.

On a different note, I do usually always fill up at a "top tier fuel certified" station.

Its nothing to do with horsepower. I have just noticed that when I run the 87 octane my motor on my Z is noisy as hell. With 91 octane its quieter, so now with 89 it seems to be okay. Its the gas here. I have noticed in my car which runs 91 octane that I get pinging sometimes with the 91 here. I have even noticed when we are traveling I get better gas mileage with other cities 91 octane. I think its just bad gas here in my town. The 87 and 89 are the same price anyways due to the ethanol content here.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Sounds like you may be right, sounds like bad gas in your area. +1

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its nothing to do with horsepower. I have just noticed that when I run the 87 octane my motor on my Z is noisy as hell. With 91 octane its quieter, so now with 89 it seems to be okay. Its the gas here. I have noticed in my car which runs 91 octane that I get pinging sometimes with the 91 here. I have even noticed when we are traveling I get better gas mileage with other cities 91 octane. I think its just bad gas here in my town. The 87 and 89 are the same price anyways due to the ethanol content here.
my 2012 z1000 manual says "use 95+" octane gas.

·
Registered
555 Posts
my 2012 z1000 manual says "use 95+" octane gas.
Wow, I wonder where they expect you to find that! Race Gas? Expensive! :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
95 octane shouldnt be a problem if u r in europe.

·
Registered
532 Posts
sunoco used to offer 4 octane levels. i cant remember where i saw it, but over here in de and pa there was a sunoco who had like 94 octane which was great. just to fill up my 2010z with 4 gal, ill spend the money on that

·
Registered
555 Posts
In Phils.. we have 93, 95, 97 and 100 octane gas. price is ussually 1.3 USD per liter.
Now I know the big difference in Dyno-Jet Euro fuel maps. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
In the relatively short time I've owned my 2011, it's consistently averaged only a tick over 30mpg. As of my typing this, it only has 730 miles on the odo, so still very new. The only fuel I've run in it (besides what the stealership filled it with at delivery) has been Chevron 93 octane, almost always from the same station and pump even. For those interested, I mostly followed the break-in restriction for the first 600 miles; while I didn't flog it RPM-wise, I did use lotsa throttle and engine braking to help the rings settle-in and get happy.

Do we think the "X-Factor" in motorcycle fuel economy, might be rider weight and dimensions?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I haven't check my mileage yet, but I am running HESS fuel, 91 octane. I don't know if I should try the mid-grade of 89 octane, but the manual states no lower than 90.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the guy that made my map told me to start using 89 octane but i just cant bring myself to do it. i have always run 93 in all my bikes. some people say that the octane rating has no effect on performance but i will stick to 93.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts