Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Modding the NEW Pashnit Z1000

Our story begins with a 2010 Kawasaki Z1000.... Welcome to our build project! Come along!

Meet our new addition to the Pashnit Family! The bike has a meaty thick look that's all motor. AND... this bike will be used to lead Guided Motorcycle Tours all over California, Oregon & Nevada. So our Bike Build objective is two-fold, bolt on all sorts of tasty bits, and how to make this bike a sport-touring capable machine.

Thus far, have made an inventory of everything the former owner did to the bike so far & it's an impressive list. See below...!

And... we're compiling a new list. :thumbsup:

Picking her up!

First Test Ride

Home with the family - a standard is a big change. Haven't had a standard since I had my '82 Suzuki GS850L back in the early 90's. The last decade has seen 100,000+ miles on my Hayabusas & it's time for something completely different. Best or both worlds really.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been thinking about a naked standard for years actually... I have an unusual job that allows me to ride many different bikes & get a taste for different ride styles, feel, power, you name it!

Recently, my buddy Mark showed up for a Pashnit Tour with this. Well, that didn't help.

One of my favorite all time bikes was the first gen Aprilia Tuono. Love this bike. My bud Jeff had one & loved riding his.

Jeff & I had the best of times riding the Sierra Nevada Mountains and Northern California Trinity Alps. Jeff went off and married a real life ballerina, had a kid & that was the last of the Aprilia Tuono on our Pashnit Tours. Or so we thought...

Years later, Norm shows up on a Pashnit Tour with this one. Well smack! Same exact bike.

Chomped on the bit all weekend until I could finally get a chance to ride his Tuono over Monitor Pass. Pure magic.

And don't forget the Street Fighter. I followed Fran on Hwy 36 with the Hayabusa & couldn't keep up with him.

Then we switched bikes. Okay, now I get it. Amazing one-finger Brembo brakes!

Rode the Rockster, fun lil hotrod & all Boxer! But BMW didn't do too well with this & you rarely see these.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also had a BMW K1200R for awhile - loved it.

Great feel, sport-touring AND knee-dragging machine, low-center 55 degree tilt motor, Wide bars, ESA, tele-lever front end, 163 HP, smooth shaft drive...

It made for a great camera platform too!

And then a BMW K1200R popped up on Craigs List nearby. Tempting! But no.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So my options finally got narrowed down to: the K1200R, the Z1000, or the Speed Triple.

Me & the Triple - always loved the bike- I even wrote an article about the Speed Triple nearly 15 years ago when the first bug-eye versions came out.

The other Triumph option is the Tiger which I'd also ridden for awhile.

It's tall, great handling, long travel suspension + excellent wind protection of a standard (I think). And 1200 cc. But no.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also thought about the B-King. But no.

And of course the most unusual option of all would have been the Buell Ulysses.

I was handed a Buell Ulysses to road test when they first came out. Road test, huh? ZERO miles on the clock. I'll have it back Monday. Just take it around the block. Promise.

Rode 1600 miles on it in 4 days & loved the bike. But not the motor. Read Full Article here...

My ride buddy Andrew suggested the Z1000. I had never even seen one, had to Google Image it to see what it looked like... Thick. Muscular. Angular. Predator drone style, refined Street Fighter.

A trip over to Good Times Kawasaki & they had last years model on the floor for just $8500. Brand new. What a deal. After riding all those miles on so many different types of standards, my search would take me to the one bike I'd never ridden, or even seen in person.

Time to head over to CraigsList. Well, I'll be, what do we have here.

So after a decade-plus of sport-touring on the Suzuki Hayabusa, why a standard??

Quite simply, riding the Z1000 feels like this. Just giggles.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... it's a Clean Slate - a blank canvas !!

It's an unusual bike - at least to me. As mentioned, I'd never even seen one in person - at least that I can recall. We've never had one ride with us in 10+ years of Pashnit Tours - and I thought we had pretty much ridden with everything under the sun. So that alone gives illustration to its rarity & exclusivity.

A long-distance Iron Butt touring machine? Not really, but then again we always say you can tour on anything. The former (& only) owner used it for daily commuting into San Francisco every day for years.

So i''ll build upon what he's already done...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On with the story...
Modding the NEW Pashnit Z1000

The list of mods already done to the bike is impressive! I added in retail prices of the nibbly bits wondering how much former owner had invested...

Done thus far:
  • 110 Axle Protectors, Front, Rizoma
  • 25 Bar End Mirror- CRG
  • 50 Bar Ends - Rizoma
  • 50 Bolt Kit - ProBolt
  • 94 Brake Lines - Stainless Steel - Front
  • 53 Brake Lines - Stainless Steel - Rear
  • 10 Cable Adjuster - Gold
  • 170 Carbon Fiber - Side Panels
  • 70 Carbon Fiber - Injection Cover
  • 122 Engine / Fairing Guards - Rizoma Shape
  • 275 Engine Guard Set - Rizoma
  • 476 Exhaust - M4 Megaphone
  • 169 Levers - Pazzo Set
  • 19 License bracket - Targa
  • 96 Remote Reservoir - Rizoma
  • 200 Seat - Solo Cover - White
  • 45 Swingarm Sliders - Rizoma
  • 85 Taillight - Integrated
  • 25 Tank Protector
  • 20 Valve Stems - Grenade
Total: $2174

My Mod To-Do List:
Ball mount - RAM
Brake Light Modulator - SDC Back Off XP
Dual Wireless Troller
Fuel Cannister - MSR- 17L
Gloves - Heated - Warm-n-Safe
Headlight Modulator - SDC or Kisan
Levers - 1-Pazzo Gold Blade
Luggage - Kriega Tailpack 20/10L Combo
Luggage - rear bracket
Racer Tape
Tankbag - MotoCentric Mototrek 14L magnetic
Throttlemeisters
Wiring - Coax outlet - PKT-064
Wiring - SAE outlet - PKT-001-24

Ready to start working through our Mod List?

We'll start with something simple like a Brake Light Modulator... More Later!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Excellent, I will have to subscribe to this thread. Your photography is great.

I'll just list what I've done to make mine Iron Butt capable.

MotoWerk bar risers and foot peg extenders, Corbin seat, AirHawk 2, Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen, SW-MOTECH engine guards with MFW highway peg mounts, Symtec grip heaters, hard-wired GPS, 12V outlet on the bars, Givi XStream saddlebags, Givi top case, Wolfman Expedition dry bag on the passenger seat, Evotech radiator guard, Go Cruise 2 throttle lock. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

edit - also a Scottoiler

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent, I will have to subscribe to this thread. Your photography is great.

I'll just list what I've done to make mine Iron Butt capable.

MotoWerk bar risers and foot peg extenders, Corbin seat, AirHawk 2, Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen, SW-MOTECH engine guards with MFW highway peg mounts, Symtec grip heaters, hard-wired GPS, 12V outlet on the bars, Givi XStream saddlebags, Givi top case, Wolfman Expedition dry bag on the passenger seat, Evotech radiator guard, Go Cruise 2 throttle lock. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

edit - also a Scottoiler
Dang Pete, I honestly can't imagine doing an Iron Butt on this thing. I've done two of them, two years running: 1687 Miles in 36 Hours was last fall. But I built the Hayabusa specifically for long-distance & the bike did it with ease. I'll have to put some more miles on the Z1000 to even consider a 3rd rally. :cool: My next long-distance goal was to ride to Jackson Hole, WY & back in 36 hrs. (starting from Reno likely)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
excellent write up Pashnit. That is one nice list of bikes btw.
The Brake Light Modulator will be my next mod. Also thought about adding the Clearwater lights for up front but they are pretty spendy. Would rather put that $ towards a Nor Cal tour :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Send your seat off to Spencers down in florida (Flash Intro Page). Cost about 100 bucks total (including shipping) and for the price he will add a gel pad and do some shaving for the seat.

With the stock seat I was always sliding into the tank and part of the sides of the seat dug into my thighs. Money well spent! Only took about a week to do too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for posting.
Did you once have a tv commercial for your website?
Weird question, I know but I seem to recall one.
The Z looks good, I agree with the giggles attitude, I like the Z for it's pure fun per dollar.
I think the carbon panels look out of place personally, a carbon fender and cowl would restore the flow IMO.
Still a Z with those extras thrown on it already is a sweet bike, enjoy the modding.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice write up, thanks for posting.
Did you once have a tv commercial for your website?
Weird question, I know but I seem to recall one.
The Z looks good, I agree with the giggles attitude, I like the Z for it's pure fun per dollar.
I think the carbon panels look out of place personally, a carbon fender and cowl would restore the flow IMO.
Still a Z with those extras thrown on it already is a sweet bike, enjoy the modding.
No TV commercial, but the pashnit tour co has been on Fox News couple years back, radio interviews, numerous magazine articles, etc.

If you open up this month's Cycle World - page 37 - that's me. Sena just launched a global campaign for their new Gopro accessory & used one of my photos. Told my kids I wanted them to get it framed for me for Fathers Day. ;)

Maybe it was this - had a lot of fun shooting this:
Pashnit Motorcycle Tours - California Tour - YouTube

When the GoPro's first came out, made this:
ON BOARD RIDE with Pashnit Tours - NorCal Hwy 1 - YouTube

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the carbon panels look out of place personally, a carbon fender and cowl would restore the flow IMO.thrown on it already is a sweet bike, enjoy the modding
Hate to admit this, but made a list of every carbon fiber nibbly bit I can find for this bike, then right clicked every photo of Z1000's with lots of carbon fiber on it.

So far, I think the carbon fiber fork covers would be a good place to start. The distinctive Z1000 stock down tubes are black, but the fender is all one piece w/ the top being the burnt orange color which kind of grows on you. :dontknow: So you either have to replace entire fender with carbon fiber, or get the covers.

I tossed the stock fender on the Hayabusa & put the GSXR1000 fender on there & it looked awesome!

Far as I can tell, these are the covers + Carbon Fiber belly pan:

...and this the entire Carbon Fiber Fender: Both windscreens are very cool options also! :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yeah, The OEM tall screen looks very good indeed.

Nice vid's pash looks like a great time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jumper Cables

Yes, hardwired Jumper Cables on the bike.

I know what you're thinking - that's crazy. But keep it in context.

Running tours, you never know what's going to happen next with the riders. We've had our share of dead batteries on rides over the last 10+ years. And we've carried motorcycle jumper cables with us for years.

Several vendors sell them like AeroStitch & Stop-n-Go, but it was finally time to just install them on the bike. Powerlet is the only one that offers a hardwired set that I'm aware of.

Plus handy to have on a ATV, UTE, or farm vehicle. And if you ride regularly with a club, or group of riders, something might work for you.

Heavy 8 gauge copper wire and it coils up small enough to fit in the tiny trunk of the Z1000.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pazzo Lever Swap

Next we'll work on swapping out the colors on our Pazzo Levers.

Our used bike came with long-black Pazzo Levers. But... Don't like the black, or the longs. Short Levers on a StreetFighter look awesome!

So I didn't take many pics of the swap. All video. But the black, well... just nah. Black blends.

Colors of your levers are very much a personal preference, but on this bike we need to go BOLD!

So all we have to do is order a new set of blades (the part in the top left of pic) only- much cheaper! We'll re-use the gold adjuster and the Kawasaki perches - which is the part that attaches to your bike. The blades are universal. So nice thing about a well-known brand like Pazzo, FP Racing or CRG is you can easily get parts if you want to swap colors or break something. FP Racing is based in Sacramento, and CRG is based out of Hollister, CA. (Pazzo btw is Canadian)

In order to swap out the parts, just take the lever slowly apart on a clean surface. I swapped out the blades, plus swapped out the adjuster tabs. Basically disassembled them completely and put back together. Each lever set is slightly different- these Kawasaki perches have springs inside & don't want to lose those. Or sprang them across the garage never to be seen again.

There are also two tiny (very!) ball bearing on the blade you have to be careful of also.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
All back together with a set of Short Gold Pazzos & gold adjusters. Love the short look!

Taking off & swapping the levers from the Z1000 wasn't too difficult. The right side is a recessed bolt head, so have to remove nut first.

The left side is a cable clutch & I haven't had a cable clutch in 20 years. Had to very carefully insert the cable with the lever upside down & gently press it in. Then rotate it 180 degrees and carefully insert it into the housing-- all the while holding the bushing as it will fall out. Then fiddle with the cable adjuster to get the tension of the cable just right.

A common concern of those with shorts is the hand strength to pull in the mechanical clutch with a short lever - so far doesn't seem to bother me.

Gold Shorts vs. Black Longs

1 - 20 of 202 Posts