Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried metzeler M9RR tires yet? I was going to try the m7rr after my current set(dunlop roadsmart III). Always heard great reviews on the m7rr.

But then i heard M9rr was supposed to be released in Q3 2020.

My dunlops are not due for repkacement yet, but was wondering if anyone has had the chance to try them.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sounds weird but I never consider anyone's opinion when it comes to tyres... What one person loves another one hates ( eg ill never have another metzeler on any of my bikes ever) m7r's were damn near dangerous for me. I've got 3 bikes... Rsv4, Hypermotard 1100evo sp and the z. The supercorsa is the bar... Rsv4 gets those until another tyre bests it... Hyper and z get a different tyre each time so I can evaluate myself. Currently
The hyper has power rs's and the z has
supersorsas cos I got a slightly used set free... I'll be trying dunlops or Bridgestones next....

·
Registered
384 Posts
metzeler. owned by pirelli. have no personal experience with them, but positive rider reviews on them at revzilla. the steering is supposedly very crisp, predictable and neutral both in wet and dry. probably more of a road tire then a track tire. the reviews at motorcycle.com said they clocked faster lap times with them compared to the m7’s. i agree with comfy though. opinions vary so much. not necessarily wrong or right. just different for different riders and bikes. personally i don’t think the stock tire is a bad tire. not a great tire, but decent enough to start with for a factory tire. i might consider m9-rr’s down the road when i go to replace my stock set; although, pirelli diablo rossi corsa II is probably my next choice for my riding style and application.

11 rider reviews

good video review page 1 and page 2.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It doesnt matter who owns them - the point i was making was personally i think asking people what they reccommend is a little pointless as everyone decodes tyre performance in a different way. Ie (if you want my reasoning), i bought a set of m7rs when they came out, touted as "being the answer to the supercorsa" and having just worn through a set i put them on my rsv4 - after running them in with literally no lean angle i half way a through a roundabout with literally no throttle it almost highsided (nothing on the road) twisting my shoulder pretty badly (luckily i was not far from home). I persevered and if given any gas at light lean angles it would predictably step out every time. I thought..."must be the suspension setup" but it was setup recently (at the time) by a local professional (MH Racing). I took them off and put them on the zed....exaclty the same but, im not rich and used them til they wore out....ive never been so happy to get a nail in the tyre ever....gave me a reason to take them off. Tried a set of Avons after that, half the price and twice as good (and they were....ok) so ill not use them again. Last year a mate gave me another metzeler (cant remember the model) but not an m7r and that stayed on for less than a week before i took it off and stuck it in the bin. For me the stand out tryre ive tried in the last few years has been the michelin 2ct. Cheap and very grippy (had them on the hyper) but i dont think theyre made anymore but i believe the power rs on the hyper is a derivative compound of that original 2ct compound and yes, theyre good and i would use them again but ive got more to test...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
metzeler. owned by pirelli. have no personal experience with them, but positive rider reviews on them at revzilla. the steering is supposedly very crisp, predictable and neutral both in wet and dry. probably more of a road tire then a track tire. the reviews at motorcycle.com said they clocked faster lap times with them compared to the m7’s. i agree with comfy though. opinions vary so much. not necessarily wrong or right. just different for different riders and bikes. personally i don’t think the stock tire is a bad tire. not a great tire, but decent enough to start with for a factory tire. i might consider m9-rr’s down the road when i go to replace my stock set; although, pirelli diablo rossi corsa II is probably my next choice for my riding style and application.

11 rider reviews

good video review page 1 and page 2.

View attachment 85693
You and @comfysofa hit the nail on the head about opinions. Its each to their own, but got to start somewhere. I know a couple of guys who had m7rr's, and i know their riding style.
They were really happy with it.

As for the stock battlax s20 my bike with... I didnt like them at all. Had no confidence in corners at all, always got the feeling it was sliding around.

Always was a fan of pilot roads, due to overall performance in all weTher conditions. Untill i drove over a flyover with metal connectors between asphalt sections. All circomstances were not ideal: cold tires, early morning, cold weather ,cold and wet roads.

Rear tire broke out, and i lost confidence... i can say for sure its all between my ears.

@Loudcptcrunch , over here its quite rare for temps to go over 30 degrees celcius, so the the amount of silica should be less to worry about, and according to metzeler new tech should allow silica to withstand higher temps.

Since 2017 i have been riding on dunlop sportmax roadsmart 3's without complaints, but willing to try something else now.

·
Registered
2010 Z1000, full akra, Ivan’s tune, mantris fork kit and Penske shock to come
59 Posts
Well **** next if opinions on tires are worthless why ask? Sorry for answering

·
Registered
997 Posts
Well **** next if opinions on tires are worthless why ask? Sorry for answering
Its not that its just that ive tried so many tires on "reccommendations" and never liked them....if someone said to me "i reccommend michelin 2ct's" id have thought they were on crack....but, so far, cost to performance its the best ive used...

·
Registered
384 Posts
i value the opinions and reviews from others, but still need to do your own homework and determine if it’s the right choice for you and your application. i wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s not worth asking the question. isn’t that a good part of the reason why we participate in this forum. to bounce ideas off each other, ask for help from time to time and a love of this particular motorcycle.

ps. mentioning who metzeler is owned by is just something i found out and thought it was interesting. nothing more nothing less. 😎

·
Registered
997 Posts
Right you are sir.... The typed word always sounds more argumentative and I don't mean it that way. If I were to put a positive spin on it.... I get a little excited to see what a new, never tried by me before tyre will bring to the table.... Just about to pull the trigger on a set of dunlops of some sort!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Price wise they cost alittle bit more compared my dunlops roadsmart III.

Front cost me about 100 euros and the rear 150. So its 32 uero difference. Think i will try them

·
Registered
384 Posts
that’s a decent price for a 100% silica tire. i look forward to seeing your future review after putting some miles on.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Right you are sir.... The typed word always sounds more argumentative and I don't mean it that way. If I were to put a positive spin on it.... I get a little excited to see what a new, never tried by me before tyre will bring to the table.... Just about to pull the trigger on a set of dunlops of some sort!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
what model dunlop’s are you going to get? this is for the hyper motard?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@zee monkey I did scroll through alot of the reviews you posted prior to posting my question. What threw me off and kept me scrolling in stead of reading, was that everyone was kind of using the same pics to acompany their review and a similar style build up.

Funny to actually read, was that most testers couldnt really go out in the wet section due to a crash and were complaining. So that threw me a bit off aswell , left me thinking they just 'copy paste' reviews.

After you posted the reviews here, i read them. ( Too much time on my hands now: bad weather for riding, no sports due to pandemic and no current project from my employer)

And then i came across a review from the guy that actually crashed with the m9rr on the ascari track

·
Registered
384 Posts
yeah that could have been a massive marketing campaign by metzeler unbeknownst to us. i actually searched using duck duck go “metzeler m9-rr negative review” and that’s what came back. i would think that the user feedback at revzilla is relevant as there are some high number of user reviews for tires in general. i usually seek/filter out for negative or low score reviews first. then i look at how many reviews are on there total for a tire. then start reading ALL the positive reviews and filter out the “feel good reviews”. try to find people that compare the tire i’m interested in, to other tires i think are similar an potential interested in. after a while though, it’s data over load. started to go cross eyed for a few minutes and telling myself i’m just as confused as i was when i started this process. 🤪 think i spent 5 hours reading tire reviews there the other night. i really couldn’t find any bad reviews on the m9-rr as much as i looked though. i did see that one guy said he supposedly bumped the curb and another guy in the video said he started to slide the rear when pushing. i’m guessing the m9-rr is a 90% street tire and 10% track tire application. i recently found the german z1000 forum but not fluent in that language; otherwise, i would ask the question there maybe. my firefox browser on my phone does not seem to translate the language.

know what you mean about “downtime”. i’m in between things right now and have more time then i know what to do with. still not riding because of my back issues. feel like i’ve seen everything on moto gp, netflix, amazon, disney, hbo and the rest of them. need a change. change of something. maybe i should start learning german 🤔

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha im on that forum too but hardly go on in since my german is very bad. Early 2019 was the last rime i went there for some mountain/canyon riding. So i dont speak it much either, while it was mandatory on highschool. About 20 years ago now

·
Registered
384 Posts
found this review on the pirelli 👿 corsa II. explains their tech well. they do a similar design of removing the water channels near the very edge of the tire like the m9-rr’s do for dry road/track extreme lean angles. read something interesting on that s1000rr forum. one guy said he didn’t believe in hyper sport tires. it was either sport touring or a track tire. i could see that argument if you have a dedicated daily rider bike and a dedicated track bike. i do find the available tire choices amazing in today’s world. you can get a tire for just about any specific application you need. god bless the tire companies! 🥸

1 - 19 of 19 Posts