Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once your bike is running, is there anything that is running off the battery, or does it simply run off the bikes charging system...... Haven't done much maintanence on bike, but I know on most older cars, if you had the vehicle running, you could disco the battery and it would continue running..... Just wondering if the bike is the same way..... I have a battery that is on its last leg (if I go more than 3-4 days without riding, I have to charge it) and I wanted to know if continuing to ride it with the battery in this condition would affect the charging system or not... I don't want to brun anythign up by having a dying battery hooked up.... Just can't fit a new battery in the budget right now, but I also don't want to quit riding until I can get a new one (unless it is going to screw something up.....)

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
you didn't say how old your battery is, but if it is fairly new,try this. charge battery on trickle overnight, disconnect one cable, doesn't matter which one. make sure it doesn't touch to battery. let bike set for the time it usually goes dead then put cable back on and check voltage . if it goes dead replace battery if it is still charged take a test light ane hook between cable and battery, with cable unhooked. if light is lit you have parsitic draw. probably a bad battery though. i ride my bike nearly every day all year . never have had any trouble. all new vehicles have milliamp draw , because of computors and such so if you let newer stuff sit too long battery will lose voltage. newer cars are especially bad. cadillac states that if you are going to let your car set more than two weeks use some kind of battrey tender. hope this helps. p.m. me if you have trouble. rick:D:D:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery

I am assuming it is the original battery (2007 model)... I bought it from a dealer in town and they had it on the showroom floor for right at a year.... The day I bought it, they had to charge it so I could ride it home, and I should have told them to put a new battery in it right then and there, but I didn't.... I got it home and obviously rode it like crazy, so I didn't notice anything was wrong, but if I let it sit for 4-6 days, then it won't start........ I have been waiting on a new rear tire, so I haven't ridden it in a while, and I went to try and start it the other day and it did the same thing again..... I figured it was just the battery. I think the clock should be the only pulling any juice when the bike is sitting, so I assumed it would be a bad battery......

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can't answer the question, but I'd recommend getting a battery tender. You can hook up leads permanently so that plugging the bike in only means removing the seat (or less, if you're so inclined). Doesn't rule out a bad battery, but I'd recommend having one on any bike you own - they're inexpensive enough.

·
Registered
875 Posts
your right on both counts. you lose your bargaining power when you leave with the bike. i would still talk to them about it. you should have some kind of warrantee. if not, sometimes they will help you out on price. my son bought a new 09 zx10r battery was dead from sitting. they took one out of another bike and it wouldn't start the bike after leaving key on for 3 minutes . we still hadn't left shop. they charged it for a while bike started. they said if we had any trouble they would take care of it. very nice people. but between me, my son , and my uncle ,we've bought 15 bikes and 4 four wheelers since 2003. that doesn't hurt anything. rick:D:D:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want to get a battery tender.... If I have to pull this stupid bracket to charge the battery one more time, I think I just might go crazy..... Hopefully I'll be getting a new battery next paycheck, and while I am at it I'll prolly get the tender as well..... Should be a good investment.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was leanin towards the junior myself..... Great idea and well worth the $30 IMO..... I will have one SOON!!! Anybody got a recommendation on a good battery? Maybe one that I won't need to finance..... :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
on newer cars if you disconnect battery with it running can send a voltage spike to alternator and or computer. it's very possible to do serious damage to either one. also some damage doesn't always show up right away. have been to several starter and alternator clinics where they discuss this. newer stuff is very sensative to such things.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can't answer the question, but I'd recommend getting a battery tender. You can hook up leads permanently so that plugging the bike in only means removing the seat (or less, if you're so inclined). Doesn't rule out a bad battery, but I'd recommend having one on any bike you own - they're inexpensive enough.
Agree a battery tender is a great investment. My 03 Vulcan original battery is still plenty strong because it's been on a tender since new. I've got mine wired so the coupler sticks out just at the edge of the seat, but not noticable. Just ride in and plug it up.
Phil

·
Registered
875 Posts
never had a battery tender, i just ride mine six or seven days a week. never had a low battery on any bike i've ridden. but, if you have to let your baby set for very long,nothing will help more than battery tender. batteries and starters and alternatorsare what pays for the z.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts