Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Lowsided my 2010 Z

14K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  kweezy 
#1 ·
Made a stupid mistake yesterday morning. I was leaving work yesterday morning at 8:30 am and it was about 45 degrees out. I warmed my bike then started my journey home. I pulled out of work and made it to the first stop sign thats just up the road. I rolled through the stop sign in second gear and gave it full throttle as I was making a right hand turn. Right before the bike staightened out the rear tire let loose and I was looking at the sky, sliding on my back, with my bike in front of me sliding on its right side. Too much throttle on cold tires.
Luckly I had all my gear on (it was cold out) and I came away with only a few scratches on my legs.
Here is the damage: Rubbed a hole in the crakcase cover (all the oil spillied out), bent the handlebar, tore up the upper plastic, scarred up the muffler. Its at the dealership getting estimated today.
I guess everyone wrecks at least once. Its was my first in 5 years of riding.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
An update: The estimation to fix everything is $2600. That includes parts and labor. The mechanic said all the damage was cosmetic. He put a lot in for labor, so he could make sure the engine and transmission could get cleaned throughly. He wanted to make sure that no metal particles got into the engine when the asphalt rubbed a hole in the clutch cover.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
JRick, what kind of frame sliders did you get? Wish I would have had some during my lowside. Would have at least saved the clutch cover from getting a hole in it.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Finally!!!!

I can not beleive it took this long. 8 weeks after the lowside I am finally back on my Z. :D:D I have been riding my dads Fat Boy(Harley) for 8 weeks and I have to say, it feels really weird getting back on the Z. I have to relearn how to ride it again. I forgot how quick this thing is :D.
By the way, Kawasaki parts are ridiculously expensive. For Example: one RH side Muffler cost 800 plus (just the one muffler). Thats insane. You could almost but a full system for that.
I am not very impressed with the dealerships job of repairing it either. I went on a 100 mile ride as soon as I picked up the bike and half way through the ride, my clutch stopped working. I pulled over an found that the jam nut holding the cable in place had came loose (the one thats right by the clutch cover) . I had to get the tools out to fix it and readjust the cable tension. I gave the dealership a heated call and they offered their apologies and a free tire change and service next time I came in.
I am just glad to be back on it.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
another problem

Today I rode to work on the Z. One of my coworkers came up to me and told me I left my lights on. So, I go to check on it and find that the parking lights are on. When I say parking lights I mean the tailight, the license plate light and the small light bulb in the headlight assembly. I am baffled by this because the key is in my pocket. I crank the bike up and then turn the bike off and it fixes itself.
Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Wow. I feel dumb now. You were right Rob. I never even noticed that was a feature. So thats what the P stands for past the Lock position.
Well at least I know it was operator error now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.