Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened here? Looks likenit is just separating at a seam or something. Continental. Probably 4 years old

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never seen that before, but I would certainly get that replaced.
ask your tyre fitter what he thinks.
Have never had tyres on a bike for 4 years,

There is good advice on continental tyres on this link.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks more like a bunch of burnouts have been made with thus tire

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ask your tyre fitter what he thinks
Well, I'm the tire fitter! What I think is it's just a cheap tire, been on 4 years but it's my motard runabout and really doesn't see that many miles per year. I get on for quick hops and then park it. Weird, I always check over the rubber first thing before I ride, and after. Son took it out for a day and when he brought it back I noticed it straightaway. I asked him if he did a burnie and he said no, just some gravel road (as evidenced by the whitewall). Usually burnouts leave a nice flat center and theres none of that. Either way Ill be spooning on a fresh one, it's looking kind of dried up anyway. You can bet it will be getting a supersmoker then boys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That looks like a de-lamination of some sort. I had a race tire do the same thing years ago but it was off to one side. It's four years old anyway and who knows how long it sat on a self before that. Best to replace it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
it could be compound separation of a multi-compound tire, it's not uncommon when a tire is under extreme duress as one compound react differently than the other. For you it's probably from burnouts, for me it was for an overly hot track day and being too aggressive on corner exit. I've talked to several suspension and tire guys and they told me that this is normal, and when I asked if I should be worried about the tire coming apart, both said no. So I just rode out the rest of the tire and it eventually faded/worn away. If your tire is spent, toss it. If it still has life left, just keep using it and it will go away, so long as you quit doing burnouts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
it could be compound separation of a multi-compound tire, it's not uncommon when a tire is under extreme duress as one compound react differently than the other. For you it's probably from burnouts, for me it was for an overly hot track day and being too aggressive on corner exit. I've talked to several suspension and tire guys and they told me that this is normal, and when I asked if I should be worried about the tire coming apart, both said no. So I just rode out the rest of the tire and it eventually faded/worn away. If your tire is spent, toss it. If it still has life left, just keep using it and it will go away, so long as you quit doing burnouts.

View attachment 85152
View attachment 85153
View attachment 85154
Wow, havnt seen seperation before untill you two posted pics. But then again I cant ride like you do

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hahaha no, the best we got over here is lik 41, but was exceptional... maybe even a record for the netherlands.

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 85152
View attachment 85153
View attachment 85154
Are they Michelin power gp's?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Those were the old Power RS's. I've not had compound issues with the new generation Michelins, the Cup2's held up just fine under ever more extreme condition, though got spent real quick in the heat, maybe 300 miles and they were toast... I never tried the GP's

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's exactly what my Bridgestone R10 did! And no, that's NOT normal! If you rode that to bald, congratulations! You survived!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put a couple more rides on it and it’s almost gone in a few spots.

I’m telling you guys we don’t do burnouts!😇
Son loves to pop wheelies on it though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts