Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I know this guy...lets call him "rcannon408"

He had an sv 650, with a defective key switch. Oddly enough, his sv 650 would let the key be removed when it was running.

In other words, you could turn key to "on", start bike, let it idle, and remove the key. It was nice because you could let the bike warm up, then stash your stuff under its seat.

So, he starts the bike, and removes the key. At that point, he did just what you did. Shut the seat cowl, and the key was under it.

He killed the bike with the kill switch, and rolled it in to the garage. Hooked it up to a battery tender.

The lock smith arrived within the hour, and it was only 50.00 to break into the bike. He did it easily and did not damage anything.

It was cheap. I dont think I could have done it , myself, without serious damage to soemthing more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Locksmith or find the cheapest part that grants access to the storage area and break it.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I'm guessing you already tried the keys? My brother lost the keys to his 2000 ZX6R and the locksmith found out that even though the whole bike uses the same key, the tail, tank, and ignition use different parts of the key and it took him over 2 hours to find a key cut that would work in all 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing you already tried the keys? My brother lost the keys to his 2000 ZX6R and the locksmith found out that even though the whole bike uses the same key, the tail, tank, and ignition use different parts of the key and it took him over 2 hours to find a key cut that would work in all 3.
Tried the 2 made keys and they work in all the locks.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Good deal. Now make sure to keep one in a safe but accessible location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts