Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have or have any friends that have one of these? Have a chance to get one but would like to know if there are any bad stories. My only run in with a KTM is a young local guy that has a motocross bike and has been about as hard on a bike as you could and the dam thing just keeps on getting it.:surprise: All input is appreciated. I've always heard them Aussies can bang out some pretty good bikes.:wink: Thanks guys Great! Day All.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, ive not had a 690 but I do have a 525exc which ive been converting to a supermoto (its almost finished) - my mate owned it and it spent 5 years being dumped in muddy puddles deeper than itself quite often. It came to me starting on the button, but ive stripped the thing right down to the frame for a ground up rebuild. This is my second ktm (had a 660smc before) and stuff ive noticed about ktm...

1. Parts are astoundingly cheap....body parts for example being the most surprising, 35 quid for the whole back end wrap around plastics...
2. Very easy to repair yourself....after getting all the parts for mine coated, blasted, cleaned, painted etc etc I had the bike back in more or less one piece in one evening.
3. (In the uk) spares support is brilliant - if its not in stock youll have it in 3 days from the Austrian Headquarters.
4. Lots of parts are swappable across the range. Mines got the front end off a 640 on it...all just bolted straight in.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Comfy for the come back.I was going to do the same thing(SuperMo) that is then one of these popped up. Figured factory motard might be the way to go haven't read anything neg.about the bike. Was hoping someone might have some info. I've never heard anything really neg.about KTM in general other than some like to ***** about the Price!0:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Love to see that 525 when your done with it. Looking to do another sumo, as my son keeps " borrowing" my 650L and I've just about given up on finding a 650R so the kTm is a good candidate. Right now it doesn't bother me so much as I'm having a blast putting miles on the Z, but I bet I'll be picking your brain on the conversion. Oh and parts may be cheaper in the UK than they are here!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Large single cylinder thumper. Great low end torque that works excellent in town and so so on highways (not the same jam in top end as bottom). They had issues or can have with premature cam shaft wear. Watch the brake calipers, especially the rear. They develop an issue like they have some sort of vacuum lock. Most require a rebuild kit. IF the brakes are good then don't play with them. LOL. I never had any issues myself, but I have buddies and a KTM factory mechanic friend who ***** about them all the time. Trust me I am surprised by this from Brembo. If your over 200+ lbs and the bike isn't re-sprung then you will need to do that. It will be a different machine without it. If it was me that would be the first thing I would do and would incorporate that into the cost of the bike purchase. I always had mine sprung and re-valved. After that the suspension will be a dream. If your in Canada then contact Riders Edge Suspensions. They are just up the road from me and Ian Mckill is one of the best on KTM's. I have rode a lot of KTM's and I mean a lot. If your looking for a Motard type bike I would also look for a used Ducati Hypermotard around 2008 with low mileage. Will be more forgiving if you are doing highway riding. If it has had the maintenance done then they are good machines. The Ducati will be hard to keep the front end on the ground. Lovely torque curve. The KTM is good as well but I would pick a Husaberg 570 over the 690. The other 2 bikes I listed would be straight start and rides and engine money could be spent on other things.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Love to see that 525 when your done with it. Looking to do another sumo, as my son keeps " borrowing" my 650L and I've just about given up on finding a 650R so the kTm is a good candidate. Right now it doesn't bother me so much as I'm having a blast putting miles on the Z, but I bet I'll be picking your brain on the conversion. Oh and parts may be cheaper in the UK than they are here!

Im currently looking for a 650L for a sumo build

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know that KTM is from Austria, not Australia, right?

:grin::grin:
Dam, one l and an a. I was only off by that much! :surprise: So now you know for sure why I was asking about the bike. Give me a break man, they wasn't even around when I last owned a long leg bike.:grin::grin: And as soon as Ash and others see this they'll laugh there asses off and give me even more Sh*t!! :grin::laugh::laugh: O well I guess I loaded the gun! :kiss:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, ive not had a 690 but I do have a 525exc which ive been converting to a supermoto (its almost finished) - my mate owned it and it spent 5 years being dumped in muddy puddles deeper than itself quite often. It came to me starting on the button, but ive stripped the thing right down to the frame for a ground up rebuild. This is my second ktm (had a 660smc before) and stuff ive noticed about ktm...

1. Parts are astoundingly cheap....body parts for example being the most surprising, 35 quid for the whole back end wrap around plastics...
2. Very easy to repair yourself....after getting all the parts for mine coated, blasted, cleaned, painted etc etc I had the bike back in more or less one piece in one evening.
3. (In the uk) spares support is brilliant - if its not in stock youll have it in 3 days from the Austrian Headquarters.
4. Lots of parts are swappable across the range. Mines got the front end off a 640 on it...all just bolted straight in.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Man, I did notice that a lot of the dirt bikes use the same wheels. And some other parts.So like you said they seem to have a lot of interchangeable parts which is always great! And we all love:kiss:that interchangeability.

·
Registered
362 Posts
One I, an A and a long long way! ha ha
kTm has been around a while. Haven't ever been a fan of kTm, or Austria for that matter, but I AM a big fan of Australia!

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Bahahaha. I saw someone pointed out the origins of KTM and will leave it alone. Have owned a 525 exc before. They are a great bike. Strong power with good suspension that can be worked with. Handled good mate. No gun needed mate.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, heres a pic of it with the body work on - although its mostly all off at the moment while its being wired up....and, as I said - parts are interchangeable (that's the light from the 2013 500exc) all the wiring plugs into the existing loom....not that theres anything left from that anymore!!

Costs have gone out of the window - I stopped counting about 6 months ago....eg the engine cost about 1.1k to strip, blast and recoat in "xylan" - my mate who renovates bikes uses it on all his builds. Its pretty well everything proof, its used mainly on oil rig applications...if they want to stick something to the leg of an oil rig and they don't want it to corrode that's what they coat it in....

And that's just the tip of the costs iceberg....!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bahahaha. I saw someone pointed out the origins of KTM and will leave it alone. Have owned a 525 exc before. They are a great bike. Strong power with good suspension that can be worked with. Handled good mate. No gun needed mate.
Well I was waiting. You sure you wouldn't like to take a shot it's pretty much deserved!:grin: Haven't had that much boot in my mouth for a long time. About the back in the day comment. My friend also said your mind is slipping man, I had and road a KTM Penton & Maico Back when we was pups. Oh Well, time marches on.:surprise: Now what about my question do you think the 690 is cool or what?Heard anything bad about the bike?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well I was waiting. You sure you wouldn't like to take a shot it's pretty much deserved!:grin: Haven't had that much boot in my mouth for a long time. About the back in the day comment. My friend also said your mind is slipping man, I had and road a KTM Penton & Maico Back when we was pups. Oh Well, time marches on.:surprise: Now what about my question do you think the 690 is cool or what?Heard anything bad about the bike?

Idk about a 690 at all. But, one reason I'm choosing an XR650L is that it is air cooled. No radiator to worry about (especially off road). Just food for thought.

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Idk about a 690 at all. But, one reason I'm choosing an XR650L is that it is air cooled. No radiator to worry about (especially off road). Just food for thought.

'03 Z
Thanks for the come back Dude,but I'll be on the road with it most all the time. Street tires.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Same here JYD. Going full sumo with 17"s. Keeping stock stuff for riding with dad off-road so he can use my dirt bike. One thing I will say is the 690 LOOKS pretty dang awesome and aggressive!

'03 Z

1 - 20 of 45 Posts