Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time to start a thread. Today, I test-fitted the saddlebags I got for Christmas. Sadly, as I was re-installing my driver-seat after putting the battery back in, I dropped a seat screw in the seat hole. I had the brilliant idea to shake the bike back and forth to see if I could get it to rattle. No go. I then have the even more brilliant idea to just tilt it really far. I tilted it away from me, and the bike slowly fell to the ground, scraping the clutch cover, and leaving a slight mark on the side fairing. The aftermarket mirror also got "adjusted" out of whack, and will no longer hold its position. I'll try to fix that, but oh well.

Nelson-Rigg CL-905 saddlebags:

Bonus picture of the sweet sweatshirt my girlfriend got me:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an exciting day! I've completed my 15,000 mile oil change and installed a new horn!

I decided to install a Fumoto valve to speed up subsequent oil changes. There is a model with a short nipple for a hose, but it wasn't on Amazon, and I didn't trust the long nipple version.

Old oil drained:

Old oil was the Kawasaki 10w-40. 8500 miles. I'll be sending it in for a used oil analysis on Monday. I ordered the kit a little too late.

The new oil is Castrol 03166 Actevo Xtra 10W-40 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil. I picked it because of its positive reviews on amazon, and because the 3-pack of gallon bottles was only $55. That's like a whole gallon for free vs. buying them separately. The semi-synthetic also seemed like a good idea, as I'd like to extend my range between changes.

New horn, a FIAMM 72012 12 V Low Note. It makes a nice sound.

Video demonstration:

New oil filter, a Purolator PSL14612 Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter. I picked it because Purolator regularly gets good reviews, and this one is rated for synthetic oils and 10,00 mile use. I'll have the oil analyzed again after 7,500 miles, I think, and see how it does.

Fumoto valve, installed.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
I know that it's an old thread but I wonder if you are still happy with the oil drain?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had a fumoto on my last few cars, works great as long as it isn't in a position to get sheered off.

I don't care for the idea of using one on a motorcycle, for one I just don't want it ever opening up (despite the unlikely chance), I don't want someone to screw with it if I park in a public place and I don't want something potentially sheering it off. Also, I like having a magnetic drain plug on the bike.

Great valves though.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just received my valve today. Im currently adding a coat of automotive touch up paint so i don't have to look at a giant brass fitting that will make me want to rip my eyes out.
Nice! It's actually hard to see down there, but I'm sure it's more obvious if it bothers you. Let's see a picture when you get it on!

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just saw your Fuelly in another thread. How the hell are you getting that good of mileage?

Z1000 (Kawasaki Z1000) | Fuelly
How is your gas so cheap?

Far too many highway miles. It's a better choice than a car in the summer, and I'm a long distance from family, and I like long road trips. Last year was SE Tennessee for Tail of the Dragon and Smoky Mountain National Park, and this year was Northern Arkansas for the Ozarks.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I guess by location. It's down around $2.99 for premium now I think.

If you look at my car on there you'll see even cheaper gas. I have a card from the local grocery store that gives a gas discount based on how much you spend at the grocery store.

Your average is the best I've ever gotten on mine. :(

What RPM range do you stay in?

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I wont shift into 6th till at least 45. Anything lower and it's bogging the engine too much for my liking.

I did 100% highway riding Friday and when I had a tailwind and didn't play around as much I got 36 or 38mpg.

With a head and side wind I was down around 32.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
don't care for good mileage. That's what my I40 Hyundai's for. Did 170km last week. Hard on the gas most of the way and had 1 litre (s**t American spelling Ash...LITER) left. Now that's fun peoples...

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
What's a km and a liter?

I kinda wish it got better MPG's. My ZX6R would get up around 50-52 on the highway. The ZX10R didn't run long enough to figure MPG. The Z1k gets low 30's.

My car gets upper 20's and my record was 32.5mpg. If the bike doesn't get better MPG than the car then I can't use that as an excuse for riding...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts