Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i go to put the bike on the rear stand tonight and the left spool just snaps off! I couldnt believe it, i looked to see if something some how hit it while i was riding, and there is not damage to anything! What a crappy weld...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
man that sux. i expect more than that from kawasaki

·
Registered
440 Posts
Today I had noticed the welds on my spool tabs are not a full weld all around. I don't keep my spools on because of the stock cans, I just put them on when I want the stand under it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 3rd Hand

:dontknow:would anyone be interested in trying a stand that i came up with that will almost eliminate the chance of tipping the bike over when trying to put it on a rear stand by yourself? If so let me know. I'm looking for a few people to try these stands and maybe i can get them on the market. Call me or text me at 270-320-7205 thanks. Jerry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i contacted the Dealer, its going to be a process since im in Germany, and have a US spec bike, but i know there is a way. I would almost rather Kawasaki to pay for a weld job than replace the entire swingarm.

·
Registered
314 Posts
So i go to put the bike on the rear stand tonight and the left spool just snaps off! I couldnt believe it, i looked to see if something some how hit it while i was riding, and there is not damage to anything! What a crappy weld...
wisedog,the answer to your post is yes,Kawasaki is not known for high quality welds,compared to,lets say a Honda,whatever you do in regards to warranty,get a new swingarm,avoid rewelding:headshake:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i use an under swingarm stand as well. that does suck especially on a new bike.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I agree that is a defected part. dealers problem now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
hey wisedog, funny that you say that. same thing happened to me, however, i didnt put it on a stand and for some reason while riding and got home, i saw the thing dangeling. anyway, went to kawasaki since i still had warranty and have them replace. it took forever since they have to call the main office and bull**** about every little thing. but when they are gonna fix it, they took my whole swingarm and gave me a new one, which i guess isnt bad. so that took a whole month and millions of calls to get my bike fixed, but that is how service always is. anyway, hope you still have some service so you can get it done. i dont even trust the spools, i just use a stand that goes in the swingarm itself

·
Registered
532 Posts
oh yeah, @ almostinvincible, bought the same one from harbor freight, the dish works great, kind of hard to adjust alone but i prefer to put it on the swingarm then the spool, even though its new.

wisedog, im pretty sure theyre gonna give u a new one since they want to see what was wrong with it. but atleast its a new swingarm.lol

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
looks like the metal broke away from the weld, not the weld breaking.....Either way I would be wanting answers.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Then again there was the incomplete welds around the frame to steering neck on the 03's that got recalled....... So chalk it up to whatever, but make sure it isn't fixed on your dime.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's a clear case of an improperly performed weld procedure. So getting a new swingarm is a badass deal. There's a possibility your current swingarm might not be welded properly either.

The reason it happened is the material was not preheated before welding. A big problem with aluminum is that it dissipates heat so quickly, that's why it's the heatsink material of choice in all electronics. When you don't preheat, the weld cools much too quickly rather than penetrating the base material. All you get is a weld that is attached to the very surface and has no structural integrity or no flexibility because it is too hard. A properly done weld will penetrate to a certain depth, providing a homogenous joining of 2 parts, not just one part simply stuck to the surface of another. They might as well have used glue.

When the materials are preheated, the weld pentrates the base material better and cools at a much slower rate, allowing for time for the molecules to align themselves into the proper crystalline structure which provides much more strength and elasticity.

A spool tab may seem like an insignificant piece in the grand scheme of things, but when someone's bike is on a stand and falls over and sustains damage to plastic bits, side cases, bars and levers and maybe the frame, etc., that can add up to alot of money as well as render the bike unrideable. It's possible Kawasaki may not cover this consequential damage and depending on the age of the bike, insurance could write it off or drop you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same thing happened to me. The left side spool completely snapped off. The weld is complete crap. Luckily it occurred while I was still holding onto the bike and the kick stand was down. I showed it to a mechanic I know and he looked at the right side and pointed out that the weld is very thin and appears to only go down the sides - nothing in the middle but air. I'm out of warranty as of April 2011, so haven't talked to the dealer. I will guess that this is a problem for all 2010's. Don't use the spools, just go with a swing arm stand.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the tip, guys! Fortunately, the stand I bought has a reversible part that allows it to accept spools or lift the swing arm, so I hopefully won't have to buy another rear stand.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Aaaarrrrgghhh!!!!!

Now it's happened to me!

As there is a clearance issue with the stock exhaust, I don't leave my spools on. I just thread them in when I want to use the rear stand, then remove them when I'm done. Was getting ready to lube the chain, put the stand under it, started to lift it, then the bike started to fall to the left.

Was a good catch!

Looks like I'll be taking a trip to the dealer this weekend to get on the warranty work list.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts