Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came from a supermoto and never felt what I feel on my Z. When going through a corner anywhere from 10mph -50 this thing feels like it wants to fall to the ground. Kinda Creeps me out! Im guessing its the weight of the bike once you get down so far. Wouldn't be so bad if it was more subtle. Higher speeds aren't so bad.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just different handling characteristics, really.

One of the things I noticed comming from mine, which was an sm before as well, was that I felt like I was traveling slower on the same roads that I did before when I rode the SM. After checking the speedo, same speed as before on the sm, only it just feels slower on the bigger bike.

I'm sure you enjoy the acceleration pulling of the corners and the much improved overall stability while traveling down the interstate vs. the supermoto though! :cool:

At the end of the day, the best of both worlds would be to have each different bike in the garage...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
effortless turning, whats not to like?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I came from a supermoto and never felt what I feel on my Z. When going through a corner anywhere from 10mph -50 this thing feels like it wants to fall to the ground. Kinda Creeps me out! Im guessing its the weight of the bike once you get down so far. Wouldn't be so bad if it was more subtle. Higher speeds aren't so bad.
u think ur zed is bad, should have rode the yamaha fj1200 i used to have. it rode like a couch but was so freaking heavy had to throttle it back up coming out of curves. think it weighed 600lbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overall Im enjoying the bigger bike much more! Smooth as silk in comparison. This thing feels stable at 5mph and wants to stay vertical. My SM was all over the place at really low parking lot speeds. The torque of this big motor is sick! Im on the back wheel from nearly every start. One intersection has a lumpy section that instantly lofts the front even when your not pushing it. Love this bike! I do miss chucking it into a hair pin with confidence though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I noticed the heavy cornering at low speeds when I first got the bike. But i think it was more trying to get used to the torque and being afraid to over throttle. I am slowly getting used to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the heavy cornering at low speeds when I first got the bike. But i think it was more trying to get used to the torque and being afraid to over throttle. I am slowly getting used to it.
I guess it just takes time. I mistake the feeling for losing traction on the front wheel. I did that a few times pushing the SM to hard and I don't like it! I'll have to find some low speed hair pins and keep hitting them till I get used to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I guess it just takes time. I mistake the feeling for losing traction on the front wheel. I did that a few times pushing the SM to hard and I don't like it! I'll have to find some low speed hair pins and keep hitting them till I get used to it.

Yeah thats what I have been doing. I have a couple 20mph hairpins here in town. When I first got the bike, the way it would loft over in the lower speed corners scared the piss out of me. Now I catch myself hanging off the seat throttling thru it. This bike just takes a little time to build confidence.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Make sure you're riding it like a streetbike, and not a dirtbike. Lean your body into the turn, move half a cheek off the seat towards the turn. Do all your braking before the turn, then get on the gas slightly as you enter, then do a steady roll on once you clip the apex.

Twist of the wrist 2 is a great learning tool for streetbike riding. You can watch it for free on Veoh if you Download their player.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure you're riding it like a streetbike, and not a dirtbike. Lean your body into the turn, move half a cheek off the seat towards the turn. Do all your braking before the turn, then get on the gas slightly as you enter, then do a steady roll on once you clip the apex.

Twist of the wrist 2 is a great learning tool for streetbike riding. You can watch it for free on Veoh if you Download their player.
Ive been trying that. I like watching the GP racing and learing the sport bike ridding style. Mostly its in the mind. I figure if my bike will stick a corner at 90 with no problems it should take anything at 20 to 30. Keeping that in mind helps. Im just not used to the weight yet. That SM give so much confidence. Now I have to get it back. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dont focus to hard on getting your 1/2 a cheek off the seat...at least for street riding. Just work on counter stearing, keeping your chest close to the tank, looking through your turns, and selecting the correct line.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont focus to hard on getting your 1/2 a cheek off the seat...at least for street riding. Just work on counter stearing, keeping your chest close to the tank, looking through your turns, and selecting the correct line.
Good point. When riding off road you have to focus on where you want your tire to go and not on what you want to avoid. If your looking at the obstacle your prob going to hit it. Never thought about it so much on street but if your not focused on a certain line you may tend to go wider and possibly leave the road if you panic. Thanks, I'll try that more.

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
At min neutral throttle but better to be applying throttle slightly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts