Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts

XR650L
Put a 50 tooth rear sprocket so she tops out at about 65mph but it gets out of the hole quick. Don't really do any highway on it and I like the snap. Has a 17" 160 rear which is a little fat. Had to run a non 0ring chain just to clear it, and even then I can see it scrubbing the chicken strip. Time for a new one and I'm going with a 150. Brakes like a champ and sounds awesome. Turns a lot of heads too.
Check out the crew.. bunch of show-offs

Really gets some heads turning when a dozen motards go by on one wheel!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts

XR650L
Put a 50 tooth rear sprocket so she tops out at about 65mph but it gets out of the hole quick. Don't really do any highway on it and I like the snap. Has a 17" 160 rear which is a little fat. Had to run a non 0ring chain just to clear it, and even then I can see it scrubbing the chicken strip. Time for a new one and I'm going with a 150. Brakes like a champ and sounds awesome. Turns a lot of heads too.
Check out the crew.. bunch of show-offs

Really gets some heads turning when a dozen motards go by on one wheel!

I'm looking at a 650L. Tell me about yours. Are you running a cush drive hub? Ive read the countershaft strips bc the sprocket doesn't have a nut to hold it down. Cush drive hub is expensive set up, but doable, and is supposed to help with drivetrain lash resulting in less stress at the countershaft. Also, Ive read about the subframe being weak, but have already found fixes for that. Do you have an oversized front rotor? Anything else one would need to consider? Will a 150 tire work with an oring chain? Would 140 be too small?

Btw Your bike looks sweet!

'03 Z

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cool, I don't know if I can be much coversion help. Mine has 270mm front rotor, gold z billet hubs and excels, but all done by my buddy whom I bought it from. He also trashed the original speedo, headlight etc. this light is fairly weak, they can see you but you can't see much with it. Ignition is hotwired to a secret toggle switch. It's a mongrel of the highest order but a raging hoot to ride. My neighbor has 2 xr650r and I'm trying to talk him out of one so I can do a ground up conversion. The L version lacks a little bit but the big teeth out back kind of livens things up. The 160 is barely big the 140 would be too small. My chain is rubbing but not bad enough to compromise it. Still going with the 150 next just because I hate knowing it rubs.
This bike is one of my favorites. Really can do just about anything, there's not many places it cant go.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks that is a lot of the info i was looking for. I'd like an R but idk if they can be made to be street legal here. Plus they're harder to find and more expensive.

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
well if that does happen sell your bits and pieces to me lol..
surely, you miss the twin power..
just make sure your wife wont read "i am gonna ride alice this weekend" lol..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Currently have four bikes in the garage. Had seven a year ago, and 62/63? total over the years. I do enjoy what I have, but miss the C14 the most. I'm hoping that the new model will have cruise, as that would make it the bike I really want.

If you've never ridden a !4, find one to try. Amazing machine. Fast, nimble, fast, glass smooth, fast, will cruise at 45 or 145MPH, and did I mention, fast, especially for a touring rig.

Would love a supermoto, but my locale isn't condusive to one, and I would probably kill myself on it, except for maybe a KTM 990SMT R, or SMC R.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That V-Rod I bet is a lot more fun to look at than ride.

DD50 I have my streetbike buds say that about my dirtbikes "ill prob kill myself on one" and I always tell em no, you will kill yourself on the STREET the dirt will just hurt you real real bad! :D

Here's my 250F

..and me putting it to work :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That V-Rod I bet is a lot more fun to look at than ride.

DD50 I have my streetbike buds say that about my dirtbikes "ill prob kill myself on one" and I always tell em no, you will kill yourself on the STREET the dirt will just hurt you real real bad! :D

Here's my 250F

..and me putting it to work :)

I took a jump like the one in your second pic one time. Except instead of my rear tire being low, i came down with the front first at about 30degrees. Scared the hell out of me!

'03 Z

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ha Yeah I scare the hell out of myself all the time! That was about halfway through a 65' tabletop, little rear brake tap brings it down to the sweet spot. Mostly like to ride mountain trails. I like gettin lost and tryin to find my way back to camp before I run out of gas ha ha. Ill pack a lunch and make a day if it. Me and the boys spend 5 days in the Ozarks a couple time a year and camp. Some of the best fun tok can have on 2wheels. I usually just moto to get a quick fix.

Damn 4wheelers are a menace out there too

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Sounds like the kind of riding I like to do. I'm not a big fan of being more than 2 feet off the ground lol. Not on a bike anyways.

I don't mind 4wheelers (even can get over the 2 track ruts they create) but damn if I would be up for that! What happened there?

'03 Z

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do miss the dirt. Not so much racing again, but like 2Wheels discusses, getting lost on trails you are the one creating. Did that for a few decades, but life got in the way. Recently had two KLR650's, but they were too heavy for anything other than gravel. Then tried a KLX250S. Fun feeling bike, but so underpowered, I couldn't even break the rear lose to square corners, etc.

Would really like a KTM 690 Enduro R, but they are harder to find around here than hens teeth. At my age, probably smart to remain on road, as the mind still remembers how, but the body couldn't handle the abuse I uesd to love on a 200lb bike.

Agree about the V-Rod. Good power, but bad ergos. Rode one two days and convinced me never to own one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
what happened there?
I was just motoring along and a little car came out of the woods and t-boned me! He didn't even apologize he just said are you ok?
..yeah I WAS dumass!

The 250F is really my woods bike it has a rekluse auto clutch so you can break the lever off and still ride as normal.
Thinking about a kTm 300 exc for the woods though. Tractor power on a two stroke, nice headlight, electric start.. Got lost and had to ride back to camp once in the dark! Talk about crazy that was the wildest thing I ever had to do -yikes!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
But you had a hell of a time finding camp! Lol. The rekluse would be wonderful in the woods! I'm not going to break any of my levers with my guards, but going through tight trees is a pain after a while.

'03 Z

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
That is a beautiful amount of air between your bike & air.

Don't know if I would be so cool if some dumbass on a 4 wheeler t-boned me or were you on the wrong track?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If'n I had the money I'd be on a Ducati, with a side of KTM 2-stroke for the dirt.

Considering I'm sick and broke, I feel fortunate to have my Z1000

81 - 100 of 100 Posts