Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a 25 year hiatus from riding, I decided to get myself another motorcycle. Being unsure of whether or not I'd really like it now, I ended up buying a nice 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. Well, needless to say, I liked it - A LOT! And the little Honda cruiser was purchased by my neighbor across the street for about what I paid for it a year later.

I saw a 2010 Z1000 at my local dealer. It was the white and orange one and I fell madly in love. However, after getting my financing in order, the dealership sold the bike so someone more prepared. "No problem" I said, "I'll get the next one you get in." But I was told they weren't getting another for some time. In the meantime I found a really nice, low mileage 2007 Yamaha Road Star Midnight Warrior that had all the goodies already added on. I made the deal and rode it for a little less than a year.

The big Yamaha was an awesome bike! I added a 2003 Buell XB9S to the stable and added some carbon fiber and a Jardine slip on among other goodies. This photo was taken before adding the Jardine but you get the idea.

I sold the Buell for a profit after doing what I wanted to do with it. It was a fun bike but it just didn't handle the way I wanted it to. Then my trips to the dealer were finally rewarded when someone offered me more then I paid for the Yamaha and the dealer got in this beautiful 2010 Z1000 with 4,000 miles on it! Needless to say, I sold the big Yamaha and bought the Z. Now I'm happy!!! The Z corners like a dream, has plenty of power and looks to kill! It's lightweight and very nimble. So far I'm pretty stoked with it. Good things come to those who wait!! It took me a while, but I made it!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was looking at trading in my 06 Ninja 636 for a new Ninja ZX6R .. but, it was a little bit too pricey, and I questioned if I still wanted to ride in a SS position. I sat on the brand new Z1000 they had there, liked it .. bought it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Awesome brother! Ironically I just got back from the dealer tonight with my new to me 2005 Z1000. I had a 650R for 2-3 years in college and a bit after when I moved out of state for a job. Sold it there for almost what I paid for it which is very rare with a Japanese sportbike. Ever since I've been bikeless. I've always wanted to get a Z but ends never seemed to meet, either that or I could never find one. Well after looking and calling at 2 of them fairly close to me...later to find they were sold shortly after I decided to bite on this one. Price was fair, and it looks VERY clean and well kept. Can't wait to get some time under the seat on this thing! Now I just need my ZX-14 and I'll be complete.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Went to local dealer after work to buy spark plugs for my '09 ER-6n. Ended up buying four, which included a fancy new carrying case. Left the ER-6n at the dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
555 Posts
On EbayMotors. Dropped a $3600 bid in the last 10 seconds and got it! PS: Make sure you look where it is located before you bid. Doah! It cost me another $400 to ship it from Atlanta, GA to California! LOL And I fly out of Atlanta 3 days before that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got into riding after about a 5 year break and bought a yamaha seca 2. Wasn't to happy with it but kept it for about a year. Joined a local forum and rode with people from there. The guy that I bought my bike from joined our forum and rode with us a few times and got engaged. Fiance said he had to get rid of the bike to pay for wedding. He was asking 4k for it which was around bluebook and I offered him 3k and his fiance told him to take the offer. So now I have my baby and he has his.. But i bet mine is more fun to ride lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not sure about this where you all live, but the Z1000 is pretty scarce around Mississippi. I know the mechanic where I bought mine has one, a green 2011 I believe, but I've never seen the white and orange one that got away from me anywhere. I've been unable to locate one at any other dealership in Mississippi. Point being, the Z1000 seems to be a tad hard to come by?

Check the price of a used 2010 Z100 in Australia, jeez:

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f89/2010-kawasaki-z1000-abs-115390/

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure about this where you all live, but the Z1000 is pretty scarce around Mississippi. I know the mechanic where I bought mine has one, a green 2011 I believe, but I've never seen the white and orange one that got away from me anywhere. I've been unable to locate one at any other dealership in Mississippi. Point being, the Z1000 seems to be a tad hard to come by?

Check the price of a used 2010 Z100 in Australia, jeez:

For Sale 2010 Kawasaki Z1000-ABS
Wow..thats pricey, i paid 13k on road new for my 2011 model in sydney..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a 2005 Yamaha R6 which was stolen from me on my birthday last year. I kept looking for a bike and then when gas prices started going up I had to do something. My 10 mpg truck wasnt cutting it. A guy on another forum told me he would sell me his bike when I sold my truck. I got no hits on the truck for about 2 months. Then the same guy messaged me one day saying "my daughter needs a truck so lets trade." the rest is history. I have to say I won on this deal but he's not fussing either.

I am living proof that thing work out for the best and you gotta have patience. I lost my baby on my birthday and struggled with a money pit for months. Then things started looking up and here we are today happy and back on a bike.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Harley shut down buell. After reading the forums for several months there seemed to be a shortage in parts for the buells. Also at the same time my instrument cluster on the buell sent out and I need a new front tire. So instead of dropping $600 on a bike that most dealers refused to work on, along with the lack of parts I decided to trade up for the 10z. BTW I still miss the buell, but love the z!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also stopped riding for 25 years. My son bought a Yamaha 750 Maxim while he was in college, but then broke a wrist and couldn't ride it home at the end of the school year, so he asked if I would ride it home for him. That started it. :) The following Spring I bought a new 2009 Ninja 650R. That was a perfect bike to get back into riding with - it was really easy to ride, had good ergonomics, and probably was faster than my old 1976 KZ900.

After a year getting back into riding with the 650R, I was ready to move up and was looking at the 2011 Ninja 1000. However, when I actually went to see one in person at the dealer, the Ninja was sitting next to a green 2011 Z1000, and one look at the green Z was all it took to convince me that it was the bike for me. Sometimes you just know. Two months after buying it, I am absolutely infatuated with the bike. It's a dream bike in every way and I couldn't be happier with it! :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
My first bike was an '02 Fz1. Loved the whole naked bike styling and the more streetable reasoning behind it. Put about 22k miles on that and decided I wanted something a little more and a good bit lighter so I picked up an '04 zx10r. Man...what a bike and I fell in love with Kawasaki engineering right on day one. A couple years later ended up selling it to pick up a new car to get me through my second round of college (my only other means of transportation was a beat up 68 mustang with a 302). I've since graduated and found myself a nice career and decided it was time to get myself another bike since I've hated every day without one haha. I looked real hard at sticking to the full on sports bike and was heavily considering an 848 EVO...but everytime I went to the dealer, that '10 Z1000 for some reason always begged me to sit on it...it was strange.

Took me about a month to determine whether or not another supersport was the right bike for me. Sure the power-2-weight and handling are there, but I'll never fully utilize it. I randomly decided to do some research on the new z1000 and found out that along with the new looks, was a new powerplant and suspension...couldn't believe it. Spent time reading and watching reviews, sitting on her a couple dozen times and decided damnit...this is the bike for me.

Sure enough...I absolutely LOVE this bike. It has the grunt I want, fairly light (not the little fat kid I was back in the day hahaha), handles well (really need to fine tune the suspension settings) and the styling just screams it wants to tear your throat out and eat your soul lolol. My only fear is that it won't catch on in the states and they limit it to a Euro only market. Hopefully the Ninja 1000 helps with this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My journey started when I was about 7 years old. My father borrowed his brothers bike and took me for a ride. Even though it rained heavily that day I was totally hooked. My father then promised to by a bike of his own when I got a bit older.

When I was about 10-11 I helpfully reminded my dad of his promise and he bought an old Honda cb900f boldor and I got to tag along :D

Honda cb900f boldor *

Then when I was to turn 15 I got my first own moped (You have to be 15 to ride a moped in Sweden). A Honda MT50 '89. I didn't have it for long, sold it (with a profit) before I even turned 15 :p

Honda MT50 *

Then bought my self a piece of junk called Hyosung Rally 50cc '04, worst vehicle buy in my life.

Hyosung Rally 50cc *

Fortunatelly it was stolen so I could get my last moped. A Motorhispania Furia 50sm '03.

Motorhispania Furia 50sm *

I then turned 16, in Sweden that is when you can get your first licence for bikes of maximum 125cc. I bought myself a Derbi Senda 125R '06. I didn't have that for long because when you turn 18 in Sweden you can get the licence for bikes with less than 25 kW.

Derbi Senda 125R *

So my first "real" bike was a black Suzuki SV650S '99. This was a really nice first bike. Very easy to drive but still a bit sporty ;)

Suzuki SV650S *

After having my licence for 2 years, the limitation (for me only to drive bikes with less than 25 kW) was over and it was time for a new bigger and more fun bike. I looked long and hard at alot of diffrent brands and models before I got my eyes on a first generation Z1000. I then felt that this was the bike for me; sporty but still with a more upright sitting position that fitted my driving style.

As it turned out I got a new job that winter so when the summer came and it was time to buy a new bike, I had alot more money to spend than I originally thought. So I got my hands on a second generation white/silver '09 Z1000. This was last summer in the beginning of July.

My Kawasaki Z1000 ABS '09

Unfortunately I crached it a couple of weeks ago :( I was perfectly OK because I wore my full body leather suit, boots and helmet. The zed didn't have the same luck as me...

But as we say in Sweden: Nothing bad that doesn't have anything good with it. When I left the zed a the workshop, the dealer gave me a great deal on a brand new black/silver Z1000 '10. So I'm actually going to the dealer this afternoon to discuss what accessories I want on it (as discussed in the link). :D :D :D

Kawasaki Z1000 ABS '10 *

New tread with pic and maybe even video to come!

* = Not my vehicle in the picture.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey that was an interesting story. I specially liked learning about the cc/hp laws you have to go by in Sweden. It has been many years (since my boys grew up on dirt bikes) since I checked all the California USA laws for street bikes. I don't think we have any motorcycle cc/hp rules set by age or size other then 150cc or 15hp to get on a freeway in California. (mopeds are different) I think you can get a motorcycle permit at 15 1/2, but you can't ride at night, on a freeway or with a passenger until you get you Class M1 at 16. This might hold true for a permit at any age? I'm not sure what changes happen between 16 and 18 years of age, but you still might not be able to ride with a passenger until 18. Our testing and laws at the DMV has changed in California a few years ago so I might not be entirely correct on all counts. We used to (old school) go around in a figure 8, 2 or 3 times, drive a few hundred feet shifting up 3 times and down 3 times (if space allowed), all without touching your foot down. Bingo you got it. However, now the test (in CA) they painted a fairly tight circle on the lot and you have to keep your tires in between both inside and outside lines. Sounds easy but the circle is pretty tight and only 1/8 inch off full lock on my Z to get around it. Even though I'd had a bike license for over 25 years I had left the state for 4 years and didn't have a bike to take my test in Tennessee so I lost my class M1. After returning to CA I went to the DMV to update my license to CA again. I was told I'd have to take the written test and the driving test again or take a CHP class at 200 to 300 bucks to skip the driving test. I expressed my disappointment and told my story. She looked at me and said if I could remember my old license number she would let me slide on the driving test, do the written and give me my license! Fortunately, I remembered the number and skipped the class and the riding test altogether.
Now we are getting TV commercials for Can-am stating you can even get your M1 license riding a Can-am 3 wheeler! I just wanna know how they fit all 3 tires between both lines some 30" apart!!! Something just doesn't sound fair here, but then again what is.
I think a thread about licensing rules and regulations in all states and countries might be a fun read. I think I'll try starting a new thread.
Good luck with that new Z.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I was looking for an ELR replica paint schemed ZRX1200R, and came across a 2003 Z1K with 2400 miles on it...and couldn't pass it up!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had the 2003 Z100 in black. One day at work, I leave, and the bike is gone!! Some asshole stole it - and the SFPD told me that they dont waste time looking for stolen vehicles - if it turns up, we will call you. This, despite the FACT that I work in the State building and am across the street from the Fed building - and there are videocameras all over the buildings. They didnt care - not interested.

Insurance replaced that - with another 2003 Z100 in orange. Rode the hell out of it - 28K miles. Then, I saw the all new 2010 model come out.

Sold my Honda Shadow 1100 for what I had paid for it three years before hand. Then, traded in the 2003 and bought the 2010. Demanded that the dealership give me the poster on the wall as well :) Now it adorns the garage wall!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts