Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It doesn’t have valve springs. it uses the finger follower pick up forks to lift and close the valve. you don’t have to waste as much energy compared to compressing the springs. it’s more efficient.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This has always ben fun to discuss because springs dont waste energy. You would lose some energy, due to friction, but most of the energy used.. to compress, is returned to the system when it closes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well I wasn’t saying the springs waste energy. I’m just saying that one engine valve design method requires more work energy than the other with respect to engine performance. overall valve open/close efficiency. it takes work energy to compress the springs. True it is transformed to potential energy once the springs are compressed and back to kinetic energy when closing (no additional work required to close the valve) but it still takes the work to do the compression. the desmodromic system does not therefore a more efficient design. In the video the rider even comments on how much easier the engine is to rev. Supposedly you can rotate the valve cycle by hand on the Ducati engine where spring based valve systems would typically require a tool with mechanical advantage to do so with the engine off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was intended to eliminate valve float at high RPM. Especially with high lift cams. Had no idea it was as old as 1896. Makes sense though as I imagine spring metallurgy back then was not as good as today's alloys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
...on the subject of finger followers, i found something else interesting.

now i’m thinking this is what the honda engine has and still uses springs. not 100% ducati style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts