Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who owns the highest mileage z
1000 on this forum
I will start with a 2007 with almost 18000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I met a guy in Santa Barbara who purchased the bike, a 2014 from a Kawasaki mechanic, and he had 9ver 95,000 miles on it

·
Registered
39 Posts
2010 z1000 with 20,5xx miles here, still original chain and OEM sprockets too LOL ... and probably the NGK Iridium spark plugs are original as well ... got the bike in Dec 2019, no maintenance records from prev owner as it was purchased via dealer
all runs good so far, just changed the tires recently and the had to replace the kickstand spring (was loose), clutch switch (was busted) and neutral switch (was acting up when hot sometimes), each one was like $20 from partzilla.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe its time for a couple of the components...
the season is almost done here buddy, maybe a few more weeks left IF weather allows ... new chain and sprockets will get replaced in Spring ... I need to store this bike in a parking garage until then, don't want rust on a brand new chain ...

·
Registered
946 Posts
2010 z1000 with 20,5xx miles here, still original chain and OEM sprockets too LOL ... and probably the NGK Iridium spark plugs are original as well ... got the bike in Dec 2019, no maintenance records from prev owner as it was purchased via dealer
all runs good so far, just changed the tires recently and the had to replace the kickstand spring (was loose), clutch switch (was busted) and neutral switch (was acting up when hot sometimes), each one was like $20 from partzilla.com
Change the plugs... Changed mine at about 15k...felt like a new bike... You don't notice the drop in performance...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't you ride when its is not too Wet?

You grew up in Poland
hehe, sure I do, but I typically don't get on a bike when it rains all day long or when it gets cold enough to freeze water or snow ... this is not NZ here man

Change the plugs... Changed mine at about 15k...felt like a new bike... You don't notice the drop in performance...

thanks, I hear you.
I believe I may have already started seeing some minor drops in performance, also noticed bike takes a tiny bit longer to start now - it's not just a touch of a button anymore, so yeah.

Either way, I will wait with it until Spring maintenance before next season, not critical, but is in plans ... if it just wasn't such a PITA to replace them LOL - planning to do that one alone, not happy to pay shop or dealer like $400 in labor to do it

·
Registered
946 Posts
Meh.... I find maintenance almost as much fun as riding them.... I'm at the point it's not quite an instant start so they'll be getting done soon... I ride all year round... If anything mine gets a good checkover just before the start of winter.... No one wants a bike to fail stuck somewhere lashing down with rain and freezing cold...!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Meh.... I find maintenance almost as much fun as riding them.... I'm at the point it's not quite an instant start so they'll be getting done soon... I ride all year round... If anything mine gets a good checkover just before the start of winter.... No one wants a bike to fail stuck somewhere lashing down with rain and freezing cold...!

I totally agree with that approach, I don't have an instant start anymore either ... Do you ride it in snow covered roads or with ice on roads too? I can't imagine riding a bike on icy roads ... What tires do you have?

however my situation is slightly different for a single reason ... no garage, all repairs I do happen in an open front yard where I park it during season LOL. If I miss the tool then it's a bummer, if it starts raining or gets windy or too cold (oil change issues in bad weather ... screws flying around LOL) then it's a big problem too

MC Riding season is NY/NJ area is usually between March (if it is warm and not snow covered deep freeze as it happens sometimes) and early November (again, weather depending, we had snow on Oct 1st before, we also had pretty warm Decembers too) ... So I usually ride them in that time only ... then the bike lands in a paid parking garage ($150/month) very far away from my home, since I don't intend to ride it in freezing cold with ice patches on roads or snow covered roads. Besides another problem I think rust would eat it through pretty fast after storing it through Winter outside, hence why I take it to a parking garage.

So to change the plugs and filter I need to plan it and be ready for it ... there will be no time for figuring things out, I will need to know what to do and so I watched already a few YT videos, one pretty decent, I think I can handle it with the tools I have ... But, since everything keeps running fine I just can't justify it yet, perhaps I lost some performance from old plugs and chain, yeah maybe, most likely it will stay this way for a month longer...

On the other hand I am also thinking about purchasing a set of new plugs and air filter just in case I decide to tackle it before it gets crazy cold.
As you said, I would hate to see this bike not starting at all one day ... especially if I were 200 miles away from home haha that would suck big times!

If I had a garage then I would love tinkering around with this too, all fails you close the shop and go home, come back to it the next day or so, but I can't have it where it is parked, anybody can come in from the street and take whatever they want LOL

·
Registered
323 Posts
35k kilometers on my 2015 z , still going up.
My crashed 2007 Z had about 48k kilometers

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yep - i feel your pain....when i got kicked out of my parents house 30 years ago. I spent about 10 years in bedsits and shared houses (all with no garage) so yes - ive been there, fixing a bike to get to work next day with a torch and hardly any tools...Now ive got a garage - it makes life easier - ive got a few bikes too so, i can work on one in my own time and get things done right. And learn in the process...just respoked my first set of wheels today !

Tyres: At the moment theres a set of supercorsa's on there but they wont last long... :) ill be going for some sticky dunlops next - making a point of trying out different tyres.

Weather: ill ride through the winter. I can do cold and wind but will avoid rain, ice and snow. But sometimes i do get caught in it...

·
Registered
39 Posts
35k kilometers on my 2015 z , still going up.
My crashed 2007 Z had about 48k kilometers

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk
invitro - grats on the 2015 Z miles! impressive (y)

Yep - i feel your pain....when i got kicked out of my parents house 30 years ago. I spent about 10 years in bedsits and shared houses (all with no garage) so yes - ive been there, fixing a bike to get to work next day with a torch and hardly any tools...Now ive got a garage - it makes life easier - ive got a few bikes too so, i can work on one in my own time and get things done right. And learn in the process...just respoked my first set of wheels today !

Tyres: At the moment theres a set of supercorsa's on there but they wont last long... :) ill be going for some sticky dunlops next - making a point of trying out different tyres.

Weather: ill ride through the winter. I can do cold and wind but will avoid rain, ice and snow. But sometimes i do get caught in it...
Yeah, I can see what you say, been there, done that too, been fixing my car(s) in parking lots and on streets since like 2002, sometimes at night with a flashlight between my teeth or useful magnetic ones clipped on to something and making do with whatever tools where available LOL
I am not really scared of light rains while on bike as long it's not cold, but if it rains all day long and pools form then it gets crazy dangerous on those busted NY/NJ roads full of potholes.
I did ride my Z through a T-storm once already, was fine, I didn't care, it handled fine, but that was in late Spring May ... If I imagine that in a cold windy Fall or early Winter weather I get shivers LOL .. but same as you, I would not ride a bike on ice and snow, that's just asking for trouble, no matter what tires you have ...

How cold does it usually get in Winter at your place? I assume typically it also means no snow, so it has to be like 5-10C?
NYC gets sometimes the crazy cold Winter fronts from over Canada and man, those suck, sometimes we see temperatures drop down to -20ish C briefly for a few days, but typically Winter here is like -5C or around 0C, rain/slush/snow is a bigger problem though ... and salt on roads then when it's dry and cold, it's like gravel and sand ...

Good luck with new tires buddy!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
If you have a significant other, then you need a garage a significant amount of your personal time to stay fresh ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have a significant other, then you need a garage a significant amount of your personal time to stay fresh ...
haha, totally agreed and well noted buddy, garage is a must in future

In my case recently my significant other has been stuck on the opposite side of this planet and neither of us can travel to each other or meet anywhere in common because of COVID-19 travel bans/restrictions/quarantine ... just had a week off work and spent it all on riding every day, so many beautiful places around here and I still haven't seen jack ****...

·
Registered
484 Posts
just respoked my first set of wheels today !
Thats fun eh, how'd it go? Nothing like taking on an unfamiliar task and nailing it.
My first set came out great and second set was much easier. I actually found the truing process very relaxing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts