Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 z1000 and I want to change the bars to a 1 1/8 dirt bars and add handGuards. I would have to change the bar clamps. Problem is The stock clamps hold the speedo on one side. I don’t see a way around relocating the speedometer. I was curious if anyone has ran into this issue and water solution was?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the feel of dirt bars on a rocket. Always have and always will. It necks down to 7/8’s after the middle

·
Registered
65 Posts
the stock bar clamps are already 1-1/8" size. No need to change it or relocate the speedo. I'm using the ProTaper Contour ATV High bend (same as Pastrana FMX bend but wider), using the original clamps. All the original equipment works with it just fine with aftermarket bars, though you're going to have to drill them for the controls.

I too prefer the wider, more upward swept motocross bars over street bike / naked bars, which tend to be narrower and aim downwards, which to me in uncomfortable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ungarisch thank you so much! They really did not appear to be inch and 1/8 to me for some reason. I guess even if my bike is set up different all I have to do is buy the clamps so I guess best case scenario it save me a little money, worst case scenario I got to wait a little longer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the clamp itself is 1-1/8", the stock bars get wider right at the clamps using some welded on metal sleeves. Just remove it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: here, I saved you the trouble. Also the stock bars weigh like 4-5 pounds with the bar ends attached, while the Pro-Taper is under 1 pounds. I don't use bar ends.
t use

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the clamp itself is 1-1/8", the stock bars get wider right at the clamps using some welded on metal sleeves. Just remove it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

EDIT: here, I saved you the trouble. Also the stock bars weigh like 4-5 pounds with the bar ends attached, while the Pro-Taper is under 1 pounds. I don't use bar ends. View attachment 84480 t use
Correct. I figured it out when I got home. So for all those wanting to upgrade it fits an 1 1/8 bar stock. Thank you so much for your assistance ungarisch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are my results. Some people might not like that I use zip ties but it works extremely well but that kind of thing may not be for everybody. I will first post the before pictures and then the after

·
Registered
65 Posts
what bend did you end up getting? I started with the Pro-taper Pastrana FMX (same bend as CR High in Renthal), I like the bend but because it was gold and it didn't match the bike. I then switched to a Renthal Henry/Reed bend, but that just felt weird and I hated it, at which point I switched back to a Pro-Taper ATV High (same bend as Pastrana FMX / CR High but wider control area). I did notice that the Renthal was a bit buzzier than the Pro-Taper. I might switch to a Renthal CR High because I don't like all of the logos on the Pro-Taper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts