Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for months to find a Ninja 1000 forum and it seems this is the closest I am going to find with the close blood lines proximity to the Z1K and all.

I attended the NY motorcycle show in January and sat on a number of bikes. The Ninja 1000 was a standout. You can tell right away about comfort and riding position. The Ninja 1000 popped onto my radar.

I just attended the Kawa Ticket to Ride event yesterday in NJ. Man am I stoked. The fever to get a Ninja 1000 now really is burning. That's an awesome machine.

I am currently on a 2006 FZ6. It's been a great bike for 12,000+ miles. The temptation is to trade it RIGHT NOW and get the Ninja 1000 but that's not like me to do anything that quickly. Thinking I will ride out the duration of the season with this bike (which is very capable btw) and shop over the winter for a deal on the Ninja 1000.

So really, just wanting to introduce myself. And here is a photo of my current ride

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah hold out, the 2012 models should be coming out September or October and the 11's will go on closeout.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Since you own a bike, and are not in a hurry, there is no harm in shopping now. I bought my 2010 Z 1000 at Champion in Centereach in early June. I was pleased with the service and the price, even though I was shopping in "prime season." He had 2 Ninja 1000's on the floor (1 black, 1 red and black), and offered either to me at a very competitive price.

Worst that will happen is that you will decide to wait.

Just my .02...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
803 Posts
Since you own a bike, and are not in a hurry, there is no harm in shopping now. I bought my 2010 Z 1000 at Champion in Centereach in early June. I was pleased with the service and the price, even though I was shopping in "prime season." He had 2 Ninja 1000's on the floor (1 black, 1 red and black), and offered either to me at a very competitive price.

Worst that will happen is that you will decide to wait.

Just my .02...
+1. If you have a bike now that you like there's no rush. Shop for a deal and eventually you'll find one.

And :welcome:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all. I am back again. it is 20 days since I first opened this thread.

It seems my wife is more receptive to me getting a new bike now. Not bad, 20 days to convince her! Feels like I should act fast and get one before she changes her mind.

I had a few questions for those of you who already have this bike:

1) What do you do for frame sliders? any cutting involved? what brands would you use?

2) Why no temperature guage? Seems weird to me.. any workarounds or aftermarket guages people here have looked into?

3) What to expect from a dealer. Really would like to hear what kinds of shenanigans go on. I've been to 3 dealers and spoken to 2 others. all of the above seem to value my business. All except the guy at NY mortorcyle in Jamaica who has to be the biggest douchebag I have ever met. Rather than spending time trying to sell me benefits of doing business with him he went into overdrive for 10 minutes telling me how worthless my bike would be in a trade. this is AFTER I flatly stated I would not be trading my current ride in.

4) What are common mods people are doing to this bike?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback. I found a dealer on Staten Island offering this bike for $8399 and it seems like a legit. offer. Combine that with $500 Kawasaki ticket to ride voucher and this just may be a deal I cannot turn down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had mine for about a month now and love the bike. Only mods have been swingarm spools and Tech spec tank pads/protector. Need to look for frame sliders. Coming off a SV650 really notice the power increase and its more comfortable! Price was about a $1100 under list in California, and went with the Kawasaki financing. Now maybe the exhaust, Leo Vince has nice slip ons.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome aboard.

If you have an offer for $8400, get it now! The dealer is losing money on it.

Common mods? What purpose do you use your bike for? A weekend toy? A cross country tourer? Commuter? All of the above? Pick your priorities and we can point you in the right direction.

As for me, I do all of the above except for weekend toy. No one goes riding for fun when it's 108 deg out. So, I got the mounts and hard cases to carry my gym clothes for lunchtime workouts and paperwork for work 5 days a week and for everything I need on the 2 week long trips I take for vacation. Got the seat cowl because I ride for me alone...no passengers allowed. Now I'm working on finding a fender eliminator and probably a powerlet for a GPS. So a mount for that is on my list too.

I'm fine with the power so i will probably get a power commander for better mapping, a smaller rear sprocket (if the Z1000 is interchangeable, there is a 2 tooth smaller one) for lower revs and better highway mpg. Rather than new cans, I'll spend the money on better fluids. If a cat eliminator mid pipe comes available, I'll get that to lower the heat.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I also am on LI, and spent a couple of weeks shopping at local dealers before I bought my Z1k.
As I said in my prior response, stop at Champion in Centereach. They ae very competitive. I was there 2 weeks ago for service, and they are trying to sell off their 2011 inventory. They still had at least one N1k on the floor.
It presently is listed on the website for $9400, but I am quite certain that you can do much better.
They had several beauties including the Suzuki 1250, a couple of zx14's, and some of those outstanding new gixxer 750's. They also have a zx6r they are selling for $6900. It will be worth the visit.
Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts