Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
At the end of my teather now.
Tested the voltage reg...both of them and they work as they should.
Back probed the TPS and checked the voltage signal when cold, hot and when it started cutting out. - all consistant.
Had to take a longer way home yesterday so the Z cut out in a different place this time.

That was fun in peak hour traffic.
If I could have lifted it over the rail it would be in the Brisbane river by now.
Today was raining heavy on the way home and not a problem..

I think the affending part may now be the ECU. I removed it and wrapped it in reflective insulation but still no change.

Question. My bike has an imobiliser. Will I have to get a key set with a replacement ECU?
This will set me back big time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a vehicle one time that acted similar to your situation. It would be running fine and then all of a sudden it would just start acting crazy. Went from running good to spitting and sputtering and not wanting to run and eventually dying. Took it to a shop and the guy told me the thing you can do when a fuel injected vehicle starts to run random like that is replace the ecu. so i did. after that, Everything worked perfectly. So you might be onto something. Keep us posted able. sorry i don’t know the answer to the 🔑.

·
Registered
404 Posts
With the red key a dealer or maybe even someone who can flash an ecu could program the key to your 'new' ecu

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I though you can only use the matching red key for the ecu. So I would need a complete key set as I don't think you can program the ecu to a different red key. I have the red and both black keys still.
If I need to replace the ecu and key sets I would think I will be over-capitalising on this bike and I would be better off breaking it up and selling it.
On todays commute I had pulled the ECU out of the holder and seperated the fuse holder from it and it did'nt play up.
The Ecu was hot to the touch though so the insulation I put on it probably kept the heat in.
I wonder if I can put a heat sink on the ECU to keep it cooler.
I was supposed to be riding down to Phillip Island (1900km) next month but I can't trust it to not stop every hour.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Mine is an Australian version with the full immobiliser. Haven't seen a second hand set for less than 1500 AUD.
I can get just the ECU for about 200 with no key and unless I can bypass the immobiliser I won't be going anywhere.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I did some searching on the web, it seems that you do need the the complete set, keys, matxhing ecu and lock. Unles you can find someone to rework the key to macth your current lock. I did read someone had a similar issue on his zx6r 05/06, (ecu was heating up, bike acting up) Turned out to be own wrongdoing in the wireloom.

Might be a far fetch, but could something be wring in the wires?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
A little update.
Looks like the issue is the ECU.
Now the search begins for a replacement.
So far can only find used ones without the keys.
This means on top of the purchase price of the ECU I need to also have the ECU data copied so I can use my original keys. 450 dollars and 4 weeks. Without both ECU's and keys.
Can't do that as it is my only transport.

The search now begins for an Australian spec ECU with key set so I can just plug and play.
For the interim I am going to try some active cooling on it so I can at least get home in one go.

·
Registered
364 Posts
what generation bike is this? I think it might be more worth it to get a complete US spec harness and ECU so that you can completely forgo the immobilizer headache that all the international bikes got. US ebay is full of harnesses and ECU's for very cheap. If the seller wont ship to Aus, then I'm sure you can use one of us as a proxy to ship it to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Forgot to say...Gen 1 2005

CONTENT WARNING BELOW...
Some things may offend people.

I can not have my bike off the road for 4 weeks so the search for a replacement ecu begins. One with a key.

In the mean while I need to keep it functioning and preferably be able to make it home in one go.

Here is my temporary solution.
I had some self adhesive heat sinks in the drawer from a raspberry pi.
Found a 50mm 12v computer fan as well.

Connected the wires to acc so it is on when the ignition is on.
First run today in 34C heat and made it all the way home in one go then rode for another 20 mins with no problem...
No pretty..... but works

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well if it works... it works. At leas you can commute without issues for the time being.

Hipefully you can find a an Ecu + keys and lock for a decent price

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Working like a charm. Did a 4 hour ride the other day without a problem.
Thinking of a different track with the ecu now.
Looking at saving up for a Haltech unit to have some flexibility. With a wreckers unit i would be worried i would have the same issues.

·
Registered
327 Posts
you going for an aftermarket ecu? does this mean you replace all the factory engine management equipment? sorry i’m not familiar with haltech.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Haltech is an Aussie made stand alone system mainly for cars but also makes bike versions. Very modular. Very adjustable. Even use custom dash panels.

·
Registered
327 Posts
did you see the recent posting for the 2003 us model for parts? think ungarish suggested swapping to the us model wiring harness, ecu, etc?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Be worried about putting another old ecu into it just to have the same thing happen. Seems to be a common thing for kwakas from this era.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts